difference between economics and commerce (1 Viewer)

bshoc

HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
As hinted, from your bos profile... Academic Programme:
Bachelor of Economics (Econometrics, Economics)/Bachelor of Arts (Politics)
Industry Interests:
Accounting/Banking/Finance, Engineering, Government, IT

Yep, so your doing Economics, and Econometrics, and Politics. Explains a lot.
When did you think commerce was simply just about accounting? Tard.

With the amount of people that I know who have transferred out from Economics degrees into a B.Comm (not for accounting), I stand by saying an economics degree is about as relevant as the price of tuna fish in zambodia. You though, have combined politics into it, giving yourself even less chance. Best of luck with it all though buddy.
Let me put a few things in perspective.

Finance is one of the most useless Comm majors there is, you don't need it to work in the finance industry and its pretty much derived from sections of microeconomics. Academics picking out investments by throwing darts at the wall street journal have beaten every valuation and hedging formula you will ever learn. Anyone doing economics can work in the finance industry also, it dosen't work quite as well in reverse.

Finance is also lame and boring.

Noting that his Uni is UNSW, and yours is Newcastle, his Political Science major is more valuable than your Law degree for any career in government and any non-technical legal position.

ND

HSC
bshoc said:
Academics picking out investments by throwing darts at the wall street journal have beaten every valuation and hedging formula you will ever learn.
Right. How you gonna hedge a position by throwing darts at a newspaper?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
bshoc said:
Let me put a few things in perspective.

Finance is one of the most useless Comm majors there is, you don't need it to work in the finance industry and its pretty much derived from sections of microeconomics. Academics picking out investments by throwing darts at the wall street journal have beaten every valuation and hedging formula you will ever learn. Anyone doing economics can work in the finance industry also, it dosen't work quite as well in reverse.

Finance is also lame and boring.

Noting that his Uni is UNSW, and yours is Newcastle, his Political Science major is more valuable than your Law degree for any career in government and any non-technical legal position.
Yeah, im not looking for a career in federal government, or probably anything slightly similar to politik's career aspirations, so its like comparing apples with oranges there.

You got it a bit wrong there bshoc, but yes, I do know the story of a portfolio created through a monkey throwing darts at stocks on a dartboard that went on to outperforming all fund managers that year. Its a fact that fund managers have bad years from year to year.

Finance may be lame and boring, but so is engineering math, or so some may say. Each to their own.
In terms of the "my uni is better than yours" ignorance, the idea may hold for some company's, but some people may be shocked if they actually researched grad intakes into institutions such as the RBA in the last couple of years. I know for a fact that you will find a grad from Newcastle uni amongst the reserve bank.

Last edited:

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
Firstly, im not looking for a career in government, nor probably anything slightly similar to politik's career aspirations, so its like comparing apples with oranges there.

You got it a bit wrong there, but yes, I do know the story of a portfolio created through a monkey throwing darts at stocks on a dartboard that went on to outperforming all fund managers that year. Its a fact that fund managers have bad years from year to year. Whats your point there?

Finance may be lame and boring, but so is engineering math, or so some may say. Each to their own.

In terms of what is more "valuable" in terms of universities or majors, this is a debate that will carry on for a long time, each trying to prove their own. It would do some people good to research grad intakes into the likes of the RBA in the last couple of years. I know for a fact that you will find a grad from Newcastle uni amongst them.
Stop. Bshoc is just trying to troll you.

ahallam2

HSC
politik said:
I've solved the Poincare Conjecture guys.
It would useful if it somehow made formulaic and boring satirical websites funny. :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)