difference between M teaching and B education (1 Viewer)

conics2008

HSC
whats the difference between masters of teaching and B of Education

I see some uni offer M Teaching and B Education.. Just confused about these two, can some one clarify.

Thank you.

mishka

HSC
N/A
I'm no expert but a Masters degree is a Postgraduate degree (meaning you need an undergraduate degree to do it), and a Bachelor of Education is the undergraduate version, where you don't need a previous degree.
Either way can lead you to becoming a teacher.

Were you looking at any course / courses in particular?

d3l35cu3l4

HSC
A Masters of Teaching is a postgrad degree that you do after an undergraduate Bachelors degree. It lets you teach, but that's about it. A Bachelor of Education is an undergrad degree, but it's scope is much more thorough than a B Teach or an M Teach.

What's in a name, I guess. A teaching degree is all about teaching, but an education degree is about education, more than just merely teaching.

Either is enough if you have your heart set on teaching.

cxlxoxk

HSC
d3l35cu3l4 said:
A Masters of Teaching is a postgrad degree that you do after an undergraduate Bachelors degree. It lets you teach, but that's about it. A Bachelor of Education is an undergrad degree, but it's scope is much more thorough than a B Teach or an M Teach.

What's in a name, I guess. A teaching degree is all about teaching, but an education degree is about education, more than just merely teaching.

Either is enough if you have your heart set on teaching.
Bachelor of Education is an undergrad degree, but it's scope is much more thorough than a B Teach or an M Teach.

What do you mean more thorough? What jobs can b education offer you that m or b teaching can't?

Last edited:

d3l35cu3l4

HSC
cxlxoxk said:
What do you mean more thorough? What jobs can b education offer you that m or b teaching can't?
An MTeach is a two-year programme whereas a BEd on its own takes three or four years. Both will give you a firm grounding in everything you need in a classroom such as ed psych, curriculum studies, special education and so on. But a BEd, depending on the electives taken, can offer greater depth in those areas as well as other areas of study also related to the endeavour of education, beyond merely how to teach in a classroom. I'm talking things like the sociology and histories of education, policy studies and other studies of pedagogy.

In terms of employment, both MTeach and BEd will allow you to teach. In terms of climbing the ladder, having one or the other won't advantage nor disadvantage you.

If you want to advance further with higher degrees like a PhD in education or a DEd, a BEd will stand you in better stead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)