Differences in AC and DC motors (1 Viewer)

Glenjamin

HSC
N/A
What are the differences in terms of structure for DC and AC motors

adnan91

HSC
Glenjamin said:
What are the differences in terms of structure for DC and AC motors
They kinda all similar but depends on which AC motor (eg induction motor)

Glenjamin

HSC
N/A
Yes can u please explain the differences between the two for induction motors

ashbashness

HSC
Also the fact that one uses DC and the other, AC :)

If it's worth more marks remember to explain why slip rings or split rings are used (hint: torque)

And it'll probably be a compare question, so look at similarities too.

Glenjamin

HSC
N/A
ok let me gets this straight,

The split ring allows for the rotor to continually rotate 360 degrees as if it wasn't for the split rings the rotor would rotate 180 then flip back? This maximises the torgue which allows for more current to be induced?... also alows for current to flow in one direction - for dc motors

for AC motor its the squirral cage where the stator (magnets) are surrounding the rotor (squirral cage) and when the stator rotates it induces a current in the s.cage which causes the rotor to 'chase' after the rotating stator but it can never match it 'slip speed' - the rotating rotor is the torque?

please correct me if im wrong

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
dc motor stuff is right. but ac motor dont talk about induction one unless they ask for it. But they will never ask for difference between ac induction and dc motor thats just stupid

Glenjamin

HSC
N/A
Ok i stumbled across the 2007 q 25

" A student claimed that a DC generator is an electric motor in reverse

Analyse this claim with reference to structure and function of a simple DC motor generator and an electric motor"

Help me

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
thats pretty easy dude lol if u cant get this ur fucked.

but anyway its pretty much only difference is supplied energy and resultant energy think about it that way cna u get it now??? if not read the suggested answer in success one book?

Glenjamin

HSC
N/A
Ok am i right in saying that motors convert electrical to mechanical energy and generators its vice versa where its concerts mechanical to electrical

am i right in saying in dc motors an electric current flows through the wires of the rotor (armature) and this makes the armature spin which is mechanical energy due to the motor effect

for DC generators the rotor is forced to rotate under the influence of the magnetic field (mechanical) and it induces a emf which essentialy is electrical energy?

Last edited:

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
Glenjamin said:
Ok am i right in saying that motors convert electrical to mechanical energy and generators its vice versa where its concerts mechanical to electrical

am i right in saying in dc motors an electric current flows through the wires of the rotor (armature) and this makes the armature spin which is mechanical energy due to the motor effect

for DC generators the rotor is forced to rotate under the influence of the magnetic field (mechanical) and it induces a emf which essentialy is electrical energy?

first thing yes
second no: within a motor a current flows and has an emf which repels it from the magnetic field in which it lies thus turning it or something close to that lol
third no : mainly generators use kinectic energy to turn the rotor such as steam turning large wheel which then turns rotor in magnetic field thus producing current.

god seriously like did u even pass physics???

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
first thing yes
second no: within a motor a current flows and has an emf which repels it from the magnetic field in which it lies thus turning it or something close to that lol
third no : mainly generators use kinectic energy to turn the rotor such as steam turning large wheel which then turns rotor in magnetic field thus producing current.

god seriously like did u even pass physics???
Ypu dont know what year he is in. He might be doing this stuff in advance. If he's sitting the paper in two days like us...well, yeah, no comment.

Glenjamin

HSC
N/A
I have difficult understanding how DC generators work. The principle for them to work is that

When a coil of wire is moved
through a
magnetic field, the electrons in the wire are forced to move creating a
current flow.

I understand this but what i don't understand is how the coil of wire moves in the first place

I know in motors a current flows through it which in accordance with the motor effect, it moves

so what makes the coil move in dc generators in the first place
</pre>

dolbinau

HSC
A kinetic force. E.g Turning the coil with a handle or a turbine run from coal etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)