Differences in Rankings (1 Viewer)

iBibah

HSC
Differences in school marks are very important. The relative gaps between students is one of the factors to determine the moderated assessment marks.

They never use rankings to determine your moderated assessment mark, except first and last, but one could argue they are merely looking at the highest and lowest marks, and ordering the rest, rather than ranking them.
Just wanted to add gaps are not important for first place.

Makematics

HSC
Wouldnt they be important? Because if rank 1 is destroying rank 2, then his assessment mark should be heaps higher and rank 2 will have no chance to get a higher hsc mark right? But if rank 2 is close, then he would have a better chance, wouldnt he?

D94

HSC
N/A
Wouldnt they be important? Because if rank 1 is destroying rank 2, then his assessment mark should be heaps higher and rank 2 will have no chance to get a higher hsc mark right? But if rank 2 is close, then he would have a better chance, wouldnt he?
But that's not because they are rank 1 and rank 2, it's because their marks are considerably different. But it's the relative gaps which matter. If all HSC exam marks are within say 95 and 90, then ALL moderated assessment marks are within 95 and 90. So even if rank 1 is destroying rank 2 in school marks, they won't be that much different taking into account moderation, assuming there are no outliers or special cases.

D94

HSC
N/A
In your situation, if you are first and second, then it would be better for both of you to be clearly first and clearly second, i.e. instead of 94.4 and 94.3, you would have 95 and 94, so long as you don't lose your position, obviously. (unless, you are certain you and the other person will be able to achieve the same HSC exam mark, or within 1 mark, depending who is first and second)

If they are not first, then it doesn't really matter. They will probably send your mark in as the same as the other student.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Do you reckon it is more likely that they would keep us together, or differentiate?

I can only comment on what my school would do as each school is able to make that decision for themselves using the professional judgement of their teachers.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
But that's not because they are rank 1 and rank 2, it's because their marks are considerably different. But it's the relative gaps which matter. If all HSC exam marks are within say 95 and 90, then ALL moderated assessment marks are within 95 and 90. So even if rank 1 is destroying rank 2 in school marks, they won't be that much different taking into account moderation, assuming there are no outliers or special cases.
I'm curious about this. Say I'm 2nd by less than 1%, if I smash 1st externally, would I be counted as an outlier? Or would I still get the 2nd highest internal mark?

By smash, I mean close to 10 HSC marks ahead.

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm curious about this. Say I'm 2nd by less than 1%, if I smash 1st externally, would I be counted as an outlier? Or would I still get the 2nd highest internal mark?

By smash, I mean close to 10 HSC marks ahead.
Not sure how BOS determines outliers, but if I were to speculate, then no, that would not be an outlier. I base my speculation on the example provided by BOS: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html (scroll down to the table)

The highest exam mark is 12 HSC exam marks from the next highest.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure how BOS determines outliers, but if I were to speculate, then no, that would not be an outlier. I base my speculation on the example provided by BOS: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html (scroll down to the table)

The highest exam mark is 12 HSC exam marks from the next highest.
My SOR2 teacher was talking about outliers. He did a certain calculation and said anyone that gets under 42% won't be counted in the moderation process. He was also mentioning the standard deviation. I didn't really understand what was going on, but BOS definitely excludes outliers from the moderation process. I think they have to do terribly though - I mean, how bad do you have to be to get a 42 scaled mark in religion...

braintic

HSC
N/A
In the Board's explanation of the moderation process, they make no mention of outliers, only results which are below expectation, ie.

"students whose performance in the examination is markedly below what was expected on the basis of their performance relative to the group in the assessment"

These people are excluded from the moderation process. There is no mention of excluding students whose exam mark is well above expectation.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
In the Board's explanation of the moderation process, they make no mention of outliers, only results which are below expectation, ie.

"students whose performance in the examination is markedly below what was expected on the basis of their performance relative to the group in the assessment"

These people are excluded from the moderation process. There is no mention of excluding students whose exam mark is well above expectation.
Don't forget this part 'other special cases as determined by the Board.'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)