different kind of compositions (1 Viewer)

giverny

HSC
What's everyone doing for their compositions? I mean, what style?
I'm really keen to do a junk percussion piece, experimenting with lots of different sounds. Any ideas as to what the examiners might think of this? I would love to do it, but I guess I'm still a little skeptical.
Cheers

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
giverny said:
What's everyone doing for their compositions? I mean, what style?
I'm really keen to do a junk percussion piece, experimenting with lots of different sounds. Any ideas as to what the examiners might think of this? I would love to do it, but I guess I'm still a little skeptical.
Cheers
hmm, my composition is going to be Double Bass and Clarinet using Extended Technique with 3 taiko drums (traditional japanese drums)

its pretty wack :) but i like it hehe.
you can pretty much do whatever you like, if you use good compositional techniques, good thematic exploration and good score/perf directions, caus thats what they're looking for. :)

bolst

um im doing a jazz piece for 2 pianos, using different rhythms, groupings and extended techniques- sounds different but i think its cool haha

yeh i agree you can pretty much do watever you want so long as you manage to pull it off- just make sure it doesnt get too messy ay otherwise it should be sweet-can imagine all the wicked rhythms you could have with that. goodluck

soulshine

HSC
this is for core... right?

i want to do film music for my core comp, kinda like thomas newman (american beauty soundtrack kinda stuff), employing minimalist techniques...

i'm doing a fairly standard jazz trio thing for elective.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
yea this is for core :)
i was going to do a whole hans zimmer type thing for my extension comp but it was too much for me so i switched to perf instead :p

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I DID:

Core = piece in 7/8 for piano, drums and electric bass - a very atonal/jazz piece. Score writing was very intricate. I wrote this in 2 weeks and is my most proudest piece.

Elective = Saxophone Quartet. Pretty regular. All transposed.... nothing special

Extension 1 = Hans Zimmer inspired :) Works on a repeated ground bass motif thing. Written for flute, french horn, tuba, strings & solo violinst, timpani.

Extension 2 = Fantasia inspired. Piece in 12/16 for solo flute, french horn, tuba, strings, percussion....

I'm now doing all of this shit again in uni. hhahahahahha.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
^^ composition maniac :p

i couldn't handle more than 1 composition, they take up SO much of my time... i would be able to do it if i didn't play 3-4 other instruments etc..

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
for core i'm writing a piece for piccolo/flute/alto flute, cor anglais, marimba/vibraphone, bowed crotales/wind chimes/tubular bells, cymbals/snare drum/bass drum, piano and double bass; might add more parts for strings or percussion

for elective i'm writing a piece for brass quintet with solo cello...

quirky as it may sound, but it kinda goes well with the concept i'm writing about.

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
Jazz Man Tim, bowed crotales are just normal crotales used in percussion music, but played with a bow... and it gives a really clear sound

vas y molo

For core im doing a pop song in french.

my teacher discovered today that it is too hard to notate so she is cutting me some slack! yaay!!

my piece is really growing on me heeh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)