• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

different law schools (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
santaslayer said:
Why don't we just call you lady for now huh?

Lady melsc, how do you do?
I am quite well thankyou. I think my new title is just lovely don't you :)
Finally I have a title too!
This has made me realise I am the only "lady" in here...where are all the girls? I am out numbered! - Lady melsc

Asquithian said:
BA/LLB allows for a very broad study of social science type subjects.

The subjects schools I've been invovled in during my arts are...

- School of History - World history - Australian cultural history/identity - Currently history in the American/Middle east history.

- School politics - Australia domestic - International law - Globalisation - Public policy making and Activism - Human Rights - Australia foreign policy

- Industrial relations (in the faculty of commerce) - Industrial relations 101!

- School of latin and American studies! - Some crap subject about industrialisation.
Thanks :) I think I am going to have to re-evaluate my choices, you think my careers advisor would have told me you can't do it when I asked her :rolleyes:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Errr, most unis don't distinguish between Arts and Social Science. In fact, not only is Social Science a humanity subject, but it's not even a coherent subject.

In most SS degrees, you do sociology, politics, philosophy, psych, etc, which you can do (and more) in an arts degree.
The main differences between B Arts and B Social Sciences are subjects you study and subjects you major in. They're very similar though.

Different uni's have diff ways of structuring their Social Science degree but usually they involve the study of how one studies Social Science i.e different research methods, the production of empirical research in the humanities. They also invovle other aspects of the Social Science (can't think of it now).

Oh and depending where you do a combined Social Science degree, well it's a way to major in subjects from the Commerce faculty without having to do a Commerce or Economics degree.

Asquithian said:
- Industrial relations (in the faculty of commerce) - Industrial relations 101

- School of latin and American studies! - Some crap subject about industrialisation
Asqy, are you doing Industrial Relations 1a this sem?

As to the Industrialisation subject, you should've done Poor World, Rich World. It's much more interesting!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Thanks :) I think I am going to have to re-evaluate my choices, you think my careers advisor would have told me you can't do it when I asked her :rolleyes:
Call me crazy but I never really jumped at the idea of taking career advice from someone who chose to devote the precious moments of this world to handing out career advice to smelly high school students

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Call me crazy but I never really jumped at the idea of taking career advice from someone who chose to devote the precious moments of this world to handing out career advice to smelly high school students
lol...unfortunately we must see the careers advisor before we do anything! I indulge her though, when she sat me down and told me all the pathways to get into a law degree, I played dumb, like it didn't know any of it :rolleyes:

santaslayer said:
and ur only eva D...? :p
awwww that's mean...I could have been mean and said "One is better than none :p" but since you gave me a title, I wont

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
poohboy for once is informative. to the disadvantages he outlined may i add you have to pay for it upfront.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
bearpooh said:
I am sure that you know about the LPAB course.
However, here are a couple of pathways that you may not know about.
I hope that you dont need to use them.*
( They were backups in case entry into a local law degree proved impossible.)

1. University of London offers a 3 year / 4 year LLB by distance education

2. The seriously respected London School of Economics offers
a BSc Law with Management. This is considered to fulfill the academic
part of legal training and can be done in 3 years.

"In England and Wales , we are advised that an External student will possess a ‘Qualifying Law Degree'‚ for the purposes of completing the academic stage of legal education, provided:
the written assessments set for the units above have been passed, and
the period of study involved is not more than six years."

To have it acceptable to the Law Practioners Admission Board here in Australia, you would need to do a couple of additional subjects to make up the Priestly Eleven. eg: Federal constitutional law and perhaps Evidence.

*Since one misses out on the tutorials, lectures, discussions, face to face interaction and the networking.

So if your UAI is not high enough for law, dont despair, there are other strategies.
awww thanks...you guys are so helpful *hugz*

Frigid said:
poohboy for once is informative. to the disadvantages he outlined may i add you have to pay for it upfront.
I cant afford that LOL

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Well I talked to my CA today (for about an hour :rolleyes: ) and found out why you can't do Social Science(Criminology)/LLB at UNSW, which doesn't bother me too much since I know it would be impossible for me to get in....especially since the highest we had was 99.0 last year and I am definately not one of the top students...

So I have changed my preferences to:
1. Social Science(Criminology)/LLB - UWS
2. LLB - UTS
3. Social Science/ LLB - Maquarie
4. Social Science(Criminology) - UWS

Bearpooh you would have liked my legal lesson today we were revising equity :p. I didn't know until today that there is an equity devision of the supreme court...

Ohhhh Boston Legal is on tonight

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
011 said:
Do not fret. :eek:
Oh this isn't me fretting at all...come and see me the night before the results, UAI or Cut offs are released...oh that will be fun :p. I am studying for my legal trial and came across a really weird question.

Explain how the mens rea & actus reus are present within the following
  • Principal in the first degree
  • Principal in the second degree
  • Accessory before the fact
  • Accessory after the fact

Wouldnt they all have some form of mens rea and actus reus??? even the accessory after the fact had the "intention, negligence or reckless indifference" to help the principal...and their actions wouldn't that consitute actus reus?

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I had mine today. Ez.

1) Lame multiple choice.
2) Post-sentencing decisions and effectivenss
3) "The effectiveness of the legal system in responding to..."

Shit yeah.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Explain how the mens rea & actus reus are present within the following
  • Principle in the first degree
  • Principle in the second degree
  • i think you mean principal, but i may be wrong. :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
i think you mean principal, but i may be wrong. :)
Yes... all that talk of international law principles has done things to my brain :rolleyes: If I spell it correctly can you help me figure out the answer :p

I think I need sleep lol...today I responded to the question "what is the purpose of jus cogens" with "errrr erga omnies" I am sooooo lost today

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Yes... all that talk of international law principles has done things to my brain :rolleyes: If I spell it correctly can you help me figure out the answer :p
i'm still half-drowning in the murky waters of homicide... trying to distinguish all the categories of murder and manslaughter at the moment :(

sorry, i simply don't have the answer. ask squishy.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
i'm still half-drowning in the murky waters of homicide... trying to distinguish all the categories of murder and manslaughter at the moment :(

sorry, i simply don't have the answer. ask squishy.
awwww poor friggy *hugz* all I have to know is murder, felony murder involuntary manslaughter, voluntary manslaughter....i think thats it...plus all the defences blah blah blah :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
awwww poor friggy *hugz* all I have to know is murder, felony murder involuntary manslaughter, voluntary manslaughter....i think thats it...plus all the defences blah blah blah :p
it goes something like this:

murder and manslaughter have the same actus

mens rea is the difference.

4 heads of mens rea for murder:

- intent to kill;
- intent to inflict GBH;
- reckless indifference (subjective), foresight of probability of death occurring;
- constructive murder (or felony murder).

involuntary manslaughter:

- by criminal negligence (objective);
- by unlawful and dangerous act.

i still dun get all of it :\

law's hard.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
it goes something like this:

murder and manslaughter have the same actus

mens rea is the difference.

4 heads of mens rea for murder:

- intent to kill;
- intent to inflict GBH;
- reckless indifference (subjective), foresight of probability of death occurring;
- constructive murder (or felony murder).

involuntary manslaughter:

- by criminal negligence (objective);
- by unlawful and dangerous act.

i still dun get all of it :\

law's hard.
Yep its the mens rea that is the difference...maybe my simple understand might help you...

As far as I know Murder is the unlawful killing of another with malice aforethought i.e Intent, the the mens rea can also be reckless indifference where then person knows what they are doing is dangerous but still do it anyway, felony murder where the murder is commited in the comission of a crime, of intent to cause GHB :)

The you have voluntary and involuntary manslaughter - both are murder mitigated my circumstances.

I think voluntary is self defence but I always mix it up

Involuntary is negligence....

LOL that was good revision for me...I don't know why you think you understand it coz it seems to me that you do!
Law is supposed to be difficult :p at least you get to do it

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
LOL that was good revision for me...I don't know why you think you understand it coz it seems to me that you do!
i will attempt to write you up a better summary when i've finished all my homicide classes.

it's difficult to understand because there are a lot of case extracts to read and the judgments are all over the place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)