Differentiation (1 Viewer)

xibu34

HSC
Can anybody help me differentiate
Capture.PNG
I understand it's the chain rule but I keep on making errors and subbing in my t value doesn't give the rate of change I want, so I just want to double check I have the right solution.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Let f(t) = 0.02t + 0.5cos(pi/6t - 4pi)

f'(t) = 0.02 - pi/12sin(pi/6t - 4pi)

u = 7500, u' = 0, v = e^(0.02t + 0.5cos(pi/6t - 4pi), v' = (0.02 - pi/12sin(pi/6t - 4pi) x e^(0.02t + 0.5cos(pi/6t - 4pi))

g'(t) = uv' + u'v (using product rule)

Therefore g'(t) = 7500(0.02 - pi/12sin(pi/6t - 4pi) x e^(0.02t + 0.5cos(pi/6t - 4pi))

I'm not sure if I made any mistakes, but the process should be right

Edit: Soz for the lack of Latex, also, you can just use the fact that if f(x) = e^g(x), f'(x) = g'(x) x e^g(x) as Drongoski has done instead of the product rule, but both works
7500 is only a simple constant multiple; so product rule not required. That is:

xibu34

HSC
Weird, I got the same answer but when I sub in my t value it doesn't give me the values it should, for example when I sub in t=29.854 the derivative should be 0 but I get something wack on my calculator.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Weird, I got the same answer but when I sub in my t value it doesn't give me the values it should, for example when I sub in t=29.854 the derivative should be 0 but I get something wack on my calculator.
Is calculator in degree or radian mode? Maybe this is irrelevant.

MathNerd!

HSC
N/A
Can anybody help me differentiate
View attachment 38111
I understand it's the chain rule but I keep on making errors and subbing in my t value doesn't give the rate of change I want, so I just want to double check I have the right solution.
Chain rule is not necessary for this question. Functions of the form e^g(t) differentiate as g'(t).e^f(t). In other words, you can differentiate the exponent and put it out the front of g(t) ... much quicker!
BTW - You might also like to check out a new calculator approved for NSW HSC exams: TI-30XPlusMathPrint ... you can get it from OfficeWorks for around $37.00. Check out this sample video.
If you have to substitute a value for t as part of the question, you can do it all on the calculator by defining f(x) as the function and g(x) by first principles, set the step value small and voila!

MJRey

HSC
Where the heck is that question from? It looks terrifying.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Where the heck is that question from? It looks terrifying.
I thought this was 3U? its differentiating an exponential and trig function using product rule right?
note: idfk, I just learn how to diff an exponential so I'm just judging from that

MJRey

HSC
I mean from what textbook or paper did they get this from, cause I've never seen anything like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)