Difficulty of the following subjects? (1 Viewer)

VLTURBO

HSC
ECON335
ACCG310
ACCG340
BUSL301
ACCG256

CAn anyone please provide me details on how hard the above subjects are?

They are my first 300 lvl subjects and i am doing 5 subjects this semester

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
ECON335 - I'm doing it this semester as well so I can't help you with this one.
ACCG310 - Probably the hardest accounting unit. Make sure you do your tutorial work from week to week and you'll be fine. I tutor this unit if you need any help with consolidation/equity accounting.
ACCG340 - Just make sure you do well in the midsemester. Also make sure you begin the assignment early. The final exam is easier than the midsemester exam.
BUSL301 - Just make sure you read Michael Quilter's notes- I'm assuming he still lectures the unit. Otherwise this unit is good for an easy pass or credit.
ACCG256 - I haven't done it, but I have been told by numerous people that it's an easy/bullshit unit.

Just out of curiosity, do you drive a VL Turbo? I own an immaculate, original, highly-optioned CalaisTurbo, although it rarely leaves the garage anymore.

VLTURBO

HSC
Thanks for the help mate

Na i dont, I created the name when i was in high school. Ended up getting an ex cop VRII and since added a bolt-on raptor supercharger. Pretty rare to find an orginal calais turbo out there. You thinking of selling it?

Also (since ur doing the same degree as me) do you know if its true that if u do accg329 and accg352 you become PSA compliant? and also for is it important to do BBA102 and MKTG101 to become a member of the 'Associate Membership of the Australian Institute of BAnking and Finance'? as i havent done (and dont plan on doing) BBA102 and MKTG101

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Don't worry about the Associate Membership with AIBF, it's not important.

It's more important to be PS146 Compliant:
Bachelor of Applied Finance Details

From memory, ACCG329 and ACCG352 will make you PS146 compliant within the specialities of Securities, Derivatives and Managed Investments. You're free to enrol in single units after graduation to meet ASIC's PS146 requirements, so don't feel too pressured to do them during your degree if it's going to be too difficult for you.

For example, I'm doing ACST300 and LAW506 next year after I graduate, while doing my CA at the same time, because I'm too busy to do them this year.

And I'm not thinking of selling my CalaisTurbo anytime soon, it's too rare and it'll be a classic soon.

Tabris

HSC
ECON335 consists of one 3 hour slab lecture by Sean Turnell. The workload is relatively light and the textbook unneccesary.

Having some good handwritten notes (or typed in lecture) in addition to his notes is suffice to get good marks.

The unit is very well taught and the subjects he discusses are very relevant to what happened to the near-catastrophe last year.

The exam is quite straightforward and is very similar to the style of previous ECON exams.

A great elective that is also low maintenance.

Luke: LAW506 is succession law

LAW506 Succession Law - 4 credit points

This unit provides an understanding of wills, estates and family provision. This traditional emphasis is supplemented by an analysis of how these legal notions function in the context of wealth creation and the inheritance of family property. This focus enables students to help clients in estate planning and retirement planning. To enable the students to help clients the course examines other areas of family law and such areas of law as capital gains tax, aspects of family law and the taxation of trusts.

The course is assessed by two essays and class participation

Are you refering to LAW503 Taxation?

LAW503 Taxation Law - 4 credit points

This unit is concerned with an examination of the provisions contained in the Income Tax Assessment Acts, 1996 and 1936 (Com). The first section of the unit examines some theoretical aspects of taxation, with an emphasis on the properties of legal and administrative forms of governance. In particular, this section considers the fundamentals of legality and legal argumentation and their role in systems of taxation. The second section of the unit includes an examination of the concepts of judicial and statutory income, the taxation of capital gains, general and specific deductions, capital allowances and issues in tax accounting, tax avoidance and anti-avoidance provisions, the administrative governance of the taxation system, and the tax treatment of trusts and partnerships.

They are run by the same teacher Associate Professor Malcolm Voyce.

These units are not the for the lighthearted. The legal analysis and workload involved makes its BUSL equivilents as a dumbed down FOB unit.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Wouldn't some sort of post-grad tax law be more worthwhile?

ECON335 was the easiest unit I've ever done. I attended the lectures, never ended up listening (just went coz i knew a girl from first year actuarial there, and she was pretty cool) and still got a D for the unit, without much study or effort at all.

310 - attend consolidation lectures or your fukd.

340 - somehow breezed through this without attending lectures nor tutes (lol no attendance!)
winged my assignment last minute and somehow got a high Pass =P However, I have work experience and a bit of logic, so maybe that helped.

BUSL301 - boring as bat shit. I liked 320 and 250 better. I had a wanker of a tutor who would mark us absent if were more than 10mins late for his 9am tutorial. Nonetheless, easy unit with that little book. Those who use the textbook should get more than a Pass.

Monstar

HSC
Heres a really important tip for BUSL301;
-Learn each subsection, as Luke already pointed out the little book is sufficient.
-Make sure you have access to the big book by Lipton , You will need this for cases and only cases.
-Do the tutorial work, you'll find that the tute questions are a guideline as to how to approach the long answer questions in the final.
-Attend lectures and make sure you write notes, I remembered alot of what he said during lectures were in the final.

Pretty easy subject, i did pretty well.

Last edited:

Mathmatics85

HSC
ACCG310

I understood not a fkn thing during consol lectures, so I only went to 2 out of 4-5 consol lectures.

Just do the class tests over and over..thats the closest help you can get for ur final.

ascentyx

HSC
Don't worry about the Associate Membership with AIBF, it's not important.

It's more important to be PS146 Compliant:
Bachelor of Applied Finance Details

From memory, ACCG329 and ACCG352 will make you PS146 compliant within the specialities of Securities, Derivatives and Managed Investments. You're free to enrol in single units after graduation to meet ASIC's PS146 requirements, so don't feel too pressured to do them during your degree if it's going to be too difficult for you.

For example, I'm doing ACST300 and LAW506 next year after I graduate, while doing my CA at the same time, because I'm too busy to do them this year.

And I'm not thinking of selling my CalaisTurbo anytime soon, it's too rare and it'll be a classic soon.
Just a question, i'm current doing a actuarial + appfin degree, should i be worried about getting PS146 compliance? According to that website i would need at least ECON335, ACCG352 and FIN310. I then looked at my recommended program of study:

Recommended Programs of Study - Department of Actuarial Studies - Macquarie University

and i don't end up doing ECON335 anywhere.

Am i missing something?

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
id say you should just worry about your exemptions first and foremost =P

atreus

HSC
Just a question, i'm current doing a actuarial + appfin degree, should i be worried about getting PS146 compliance? According to that website i would need at least ECON335, ACCG352 and FIN310. I then looked at my recommended program of study:

Recommended Programs of Study - Department of Actuarial Studies - Macquarie University

and i don't end up doing ECON335 anywhere.

Am i missing something?
That is the recommended program, so I think you would be able to take a different approach for some of the finance electives. ECON335 is offered in semester 2, the same as ECON360. In AppFin you can choose 2 of ECON335, 350 and 360.I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do ECON335 instead of ECON360 if you wanted to. You could even do ECON335 and ECON360 and not do ECON350.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
That is the recommended program, so I think you would be able to take a different approach for some of the finance electives. ECON335 is offered in semester 2, the same as ECON360. In AppFin you can choose 2 of ECON335, 350 and 360.I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do ECON335 instead of ECON360 if you wanted to. You could even do ECON335 and ECON360 and not do ECON350.
ECON360 is slightly harder than 335 and 350. 335 and 350 are D/HD GPA boosters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)