Digital Camera (1 Viewer)

thirsty

HSC
I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks and want to buy a digital camera (hopefully duty free) i have no idea when it comes to this sort of stuff so I was just wanting some advice on what to look for. Like zoom n megabites n stuff like that. it'll just be for basic photos on the holiday obviously and to use afterwards too (pretty obvious as well lol) I don't wanna spend more than $200 but any advice would be great.
Ta guys xx

iamsickofyear12

HSC
thirsty said:
I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks and want to buy a digital camera (hopefully duty free) i have no idea when it comes to this sort of stuff so I was just wanting some advice on what to look for. Like zoom n megabites n stuff like that. it'll just be for basic photos on the holiday obviously and to use afterwards too (pretty obvious as well lol) I don't wanna spend more than $200 but any advice would be great.
Ta guys xx
If I was going to buy one I would get a waterproof and shockproof one but they are more than $200.

Duty free might not necessarily be cheapest either. You might get a better deal finding a place on the net and ordering from there.

thirsty

HSC
yeah i think i'm gonna buy one before i go cuz i really want it now lol thanks for ur tips.... whats a good amount of megapixels or whatever like i said no idea with this sort of stuff

thirsty

HSC
well i bought one lol its 7.1 megapixels 3x optical zoom, big screen on the back, its awesome love it and it was only 149 which is great, thanks for the advice guys

ricometa

HSC
well anything like 7.1 mp is pretty useless for any average user. . .
as if any average photo user will need 7.1 million pixels. . .
you would want optical zoom, higher the better
digital zoom is pretty useless imo.

and any other candy features it offers.
video options etc.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
7.1 megapixels is probably the average nowadays...all i see at bing lee is cameras above 7 megapixels.
Im still looking around for one, particularly fujifilm and sony.
Anyone had any troubles with those before?

nubix

HSC
More MP doesn't mean a camera can take better pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nubix

HSC
chicky_pie said:
is digital or those phat paparazzi type cameras good?

which one? saw a canon one at bing lee for $1100

wanted to get one of those :)
I think the cameras they use are still digital. They're called digital SLR as opposed to digital compact. $1100 is pretty cheap for one of those o.o

pete_mate

HSC
nubix said:
More MP doesn't mean a camera can take better pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a really nice canon that is 4mp from a few years back would be better than a kodak with a shocking lense.

Its all about the quality of the glass, the quality of the light receptors etc.

none of which anyone pays any attention to. meh

ricometa

HSC
pete_mate said:
a really nice canon that is 4mp from a few years back would be better than a kodak with a shocking lense.

Its all about the quality of the glass, the quality of the light receptors etc.

none of which anyone pays any attention to. meh
yes exactly,
"oh wow 10.1mp that must be good, and how expensive must be good then ill buy it"

:eek:

bfg333

HSC
Yeah that canon one u saw wouldve been the 400D, digital slr. they're sick cameras, got mine about 4 months ago and love it! but definitely not something u want to be carrying around in ur pocket

www.flickr.com/mearesphotography --- some of the results

turtleface

HSC
Yes I agree with some of the comments about megapixels, however despite the megapixel bashing, it must be noted that all other things equal, more megapixels is good. There is a reason that the flagship Canon dSLR, 1Ds Mark III is 21 Megapixels

Again all other things equal:
More megapixels = Higher Resolution and More Cropping Power

The issue is that often manufacturers of consumer models try and cram as much megapixels they can into smaller and smaller sensors and sometimes increases in megapixels can lead to degradation of image quality

There are a lot of factors that go into making a camera good or not, and megapixels is just one factor

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
bfg333 said:
Yeah that canon one u saw wouldve been the 400D, digital slr. they're sick cameras, got mine about 4 months ago and love it! but definitely not something u want to be carrying around in ur pocket

www.flickr.com/mearesphotography --- some of the results
I have the same thing: It kicks arse as a camera but you can't really take it around with you everywhere so it's kind of worse for holiday snaps.

edit: these are fantastic photos! Seriously, everyone, check them out!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)