digital cameras (1 Viewer)

*hopeful*

HSC
hey i wanna buy a digital camera but i dunno much bout them

like wat r the essential features i should look for, like memory size(i dont even know if thats the right term) etc

btw im talkn like between $200-$300

can anyon help ? thanx

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
canon a 400 period ...
best for the money
um 3.2MP
2.2 optical zoom (only drawback)
around the 250 mark check the weekend paper or the harvey norman tech liftout thing ...

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Anything above 3 Megapixels is good.

3x Optical zoom would be nice, but if you need value for money, the one suggested above may be the way to go. I'd say look through your local Harvey Norman, etc, catalogs and see what they have to offer.

You'll probably have to get a memory card with it to - as most cameras come with a crappy inbuilt memory storage size - so you may want to factor that into the cost. Memory cards cost around $100 for 128mb, $230ish for 265mb, so more or less $1/mb.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
What will you be doing with it? Is it for taking everywhere with you or is it just for special events and that sort of thing?

Things you can think about:
memory type: there are several different card types. i use an SD card in my camera (pentax optio S) because i have an SD port on my laptop. i've heard good things about XD (i think it's XD..) cards as well - but they tend to be in the upper range cameras.

note that you can usually change the memory card (dont get a camera that wont let you do this!) to get more memory, or to swap cards if you run out of space on one. you can't change card TYPES though since they're different sizes and use different technology. card sizes vary and how many images you can store varies (see resolution below)

battery type: there's generally two types you can get, normal AA batteries or the camera's own battery. there are pros and cons of both:
AA batteries: don't last long, but can be replaced really easily, or you can get rechargeables
camera batteries (like li-ion ones i guess): last longer, but cost more to replace when they do die. also some cameras require the camera to be plugged into the charger / cradle so you can't do anything with it in the meantime..

zoom: two types of zoom.
normal zoom (sorry, i have no idea what the real terms for half these things are, hehe) is defined like a typical analogue camera zoom.
optical zoom is (this is how i see it) an additional zoom level on top of normal zoom. rather than using the lens to zoom it actually enlarges the pixels of the image. if you zoom in all the way with optical zoom it tends to make the picture go a little fuzzy or blurry.
most cameras under $300 will have about 3-3.5 megapixels, which is more than enough for happy snaps. someone with more digital camera knowledge can probably explain this better than me :S

image resolution
different resolution sizes (usually related to the # of MPs ?) tell you how big your images can be.
high res - ie. 1024x768 and larger: good for printing, better quality, can be resized without blurriness or image loss,
low res 800x600 and smaller: good for emailing or uploading online, sending to friends etc. it's just a basic image which can be resized for avatars and that sort of thing, but doesn't look too good printed and can't be made LARGER.

something which really concerned me when i bought my camera was the speed with which it can take pictures (shutter speed) ... i like being able to take an almost instantaneous picture. there's a few of those point-and-shoot cameras around and they're good for when you go out with friends etc.

flash
some digicams have a really bad flash, so make sure you check that it can take night pictures. esp for the lower range of cameras where flash is not a priority.

other things..
brands which are GOOD are nikon, pentax, canon, sony is ok but expensive. and i cant think of any others hmmm...

do a google search online to find reviews if you think you find a camera you like.

and make sure it will last you :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
MedNez said:
I'd say look through your local Harvey Norman, etc, catalogs and see what they have to offer.
but don't buy from there ^^

superbird

HSC
anti said:
zoom: two types of zoom.
normal zoom (sorry, i have no idea what the real terms for half these things are, hehe) is defined like a typical analogue camera zoom.
optical zoom is (this is how i see it) an additional zoom level on top of normal zoom. rather than using the lens to zoom it actually enlarges the pixels of the image. if you zoom in all the way with optical zoom it tends to make the picture go a little fuzzy or blurry.
most cameras under $300 will have about 3-3.5 megapixels, which is more than enough for happy snaps. someone with more digital camera knowledge can probably explain this better than me :S
i think you mean that the 2 types of zoom are Digital and Optical zoom.
Digital zoom is using the cameras inbuilt software to zoom up when taking pictures (similar to when you zoom up on an image on a computer). Resolution however isn't all that good.
Optical zoom (what you really should be looking for) is when the camera lens physically zooms up on the object. The result is a better and crisper image as opposed to the digital zoom.
Regardless, you should buy a camera that at least has some form of optical zoom (say at least 3x).

corro

HSC
digital zoom is a load of shit, if you want to enlarge something and lose quality do it with a decent program not your camera

I have a 3.2mp Canon Digital Ixus 2, its plenty small enough to put in my pocket and take to parties and that, Im also into photography and can take decent photography pictures with it, but the quality isnt that great. If you want to use it for actual photography you need 4mp +, i have 3x optical i think and its really not much use, but you wont get better in that price range

corro

HSC
forgot to mention, different types of memory cost different amounts, but none are too expensive to turn you off from that camera, from memory the song memory sticks are more expensive because they are the only memory that can be used for those types of cameras as Sony can charge more, your better off going with a camera that takes multimedia/SD cards.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
anti said:
but don't buy from there ^^
Indeed, don't buy from a retail store that'll cost you an arm and a leg and then some. Just look through their brochures until you find a suitable camera with the requirements you need, then find a good price for it somewhere :)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i bought my fuji camera recently
3mpxel capable of doin 6 mpixel [CCD or some shit] . 3 x optical zoom

240bux

Auto Wah

so where can you buy a digital camera in this country but with Maximum bargain?

*hopeful*

HSC
^ yeh if i dont get it retail then how....

thanx guys esp anti, i think i got all the info :)

but one more qstn, i saw a kodak brand one for like $190 or sumfn, its got 3.0 pixel stuff and 3x zoom ? would that be crappy ?
btw i just wanna use it generally, friends parties etc

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
*hopeful* said:
hey i wanna buy a digital camera but i dunno much bout them

like wat r the essential features i should look for, like memory size(i dont even know if thats the right term) etc

btw im talkn like between $200-$300

can anyon help ? thanx
Mines a sony 4.1mp dcsp73 , its over the $300 mark but its a good camera.
At the moment I have a 256mb memory stick, and thats good it can probably take about 100 photos when I set it to 4.1mp.
If I set it on 3.,1mp or less I can take more photos but I always leave it on 4.1mp.

Andrea86

HSC
N/A
*hopeful* said:
^ yeh if i dont get it retail then how....

thanx guys esp anti, i think i got all the info :)

but one more qstn, i saw a kodak brand one for like $190 or sumfn, its got 3.0 pixel stuff and 3x zoom ? would that be crappy ?
btw i just wanna use it generally, friends parties etc
There's a Kodak 3.0 mega pixel digital camera and photo printer package for $299.. saving of $150 or something.. saw it in the Officeworks catalogue..

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Always factor in the cost of extra memory though. A $250 camera can look cheap but not when you decide you want to pay another $80 for a memory card...

Also if you have other Sony stuff then Memory Sticks can be a good idea because you can transfer between Sony devices. My dad (why oh why..!!!) bought a Sony digital video camera so chances are he'll probably buy a Sony photo printer and Sony media player and ... yeah. You get the point.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
OZGIRL86 said:
Mines a sony 4.1mp dcsp73 , its over the $300 mark but its a good camera.
At the moment I have a 256mb memory stick, and thats good it can probably take about 100 photos when I set it to 4.1mp.
If I set it on 3.,1mp or less I can take more photos but I always leave it on 4.1mp.
i just bought exactly the same camera (mines blue yay) and i got it from retravision for $380 (he gave me a $20 discount.. as well as offering me a job there lol)
i tend to use the 3:2 when i want to print but today i used the 1m and the pics are still pretty huge.. maybe ill have to try out the lowest setting
check out www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au they have really in depth details about cameras and their prices are ok.. i bought a 512mb memory stick for $165 and some spare batteries..
i like how i can film short clips with sound then theres a thing to connect it to the tv and u watch it there lol

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
cro_angel said:
i just bought exactly the same camera (mines blue yay) and i got it from retravision for $380 (he gave me a $20 discount.. as well as offering me a job there lol)
i tend to use the 3:2 when i want to print but today i used the 1m and the pics are still pretty huge.. maybe ill have to try out the lowest setting
check out www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au they have really in depth details about cameras and their prices are ok.. i bought a 512mb memory stick for $165 and some spare batteries..
i like how i can film short clips with sound then theres a thing to connect it to the tv and u watch it there lol

cool, I have a silver one.
I got mine in july for my bday and i think my mum paid nearly $500 for it at the time.
I'd like to get a bigger memory stick coz when I start taking pics at events/parties places I end up getting snap happy lol.
Yeh I also like how you can film short clips, its cool. I have only printed a couple at home so far , the rest I saved to my hardrive/cds. When I get the chance I want to take some cd's to a photo shop or harvey norman and print them out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)