Digital Cameras (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Can anyone describe what exactly to look for. Im going shopping for one tomorrow and will probably want to spend approximately $500-$600. Any recommendations?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Megapixels, number of functions, lens quality, manual adjustment, position of buttons, that sort of thing.

Most cameras in that price range are similar in quality of prints, so there's not that much difference, although one brand or two stands out.

Depends on what kind of photographer you are. If you don't know much about aperture and shutter speed, then you'll probably stick with automatic anyway. But manual feature is always good.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
# At least 3.2 Megapixels.
# A known camera brand! (Not casio or someone who's never made cameras...)
# If it comes with a memory card. 16mb inbuilt memory is not enough. You'll need probably a 256mb card if you want to store lots. So keep in mind internal storage + saving money for a memory card.

That's about all I can think of...

If it needs batteries, see if you can get a camera with rechargable batteries or a dock. Extremely handy.

Med

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
absolution* said:
Can anyone describe what exactly to look for. Im going shopping for one tomorrow and will probably want to spend approximately $500-$600. Any recommendations?
these days you dont really need to spend that much to get a good digi cam!

but yeah make sure it has at least 3 megapixels, 3x optical zoom - and you'll also wanna buy a memory card with it cause the cards you get bundled with the cameras hold shit all photos.

pentax and olympus are teh r0x0rz when it comes to digi cams :)

equiski

HSC
This depends on how into your photography you are. If i was spending that much money on a digital camera, i would buy the Fuji Film S5100. This is a SLR form camera with 4 megapixel resolution and 10x optical zoom. It has a high powered flash and you can fit other lens (for extra zoom etc) and use standalone flash devices. It has a plethora of SLR functions, you are able to set everything manually, apeture speed, CCD gain etc.

Meanwhile, if i was spending the same amount for a camera for my mum or sister, i would buy a smaller easier to use camera. It all depends on what you want. 4 Mega pixels is about the highest you need unless you plan on making prints larger than A4. Optical zoom is always good, even if it is just used to frame your shots better. Digital zoom isn't worth mentioning. What form you want is a personal choice. It is important to think about the digital media that the camera uses. These days Compact Flash cards and SD (secure digital)/MMC (Multimedia Cards) are generally the cheapest. The other day i saw a 1gig CF card for 200 dollars. Meanwhile, newer formats such as XD are slightly more expensive per megabyte.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
equiski said:
The other day i saw a 1gig CF card for 200 dollars. Meanwhile, newer formats such as XD are slightly more expensive per megabyte.
<170 should suffice.

As for xD, they're used extensively by Olympus...unfortunately it happens to make very good compact cameras.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
They're right, for $450-500 (+ about $100 for other things) you can get a really good 3-4mp camera.. if you want to get a 5MP one go ahead but unless you're going to be taking huge prints I don't see the point paying another $50-100 for that.

anyway.

Look for size, and comfort - if the keys are too small for your fingers, if the navigation features are logical, weight - you don't want to carry around a brick, shutter speed, what battery it uses, how it charges, how it connects to your computer..

it depends what you'll be using this camera for and where.

I wanted a camera which loaded up quick, had a relatively fast shutter speed, average flash because most of my photos are taken during the day, at least 3mp optical zoom, was light so it would fit in my pocket or bag, an sd card so i could load directly to laptop, etc etc..

you can often get a camera store to throw in a memory card / spare battery / whatever.. make sure you shop around because some places will have sales which take large amounts off the RRP.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
anti said:
I wanted a camera which loaded up quick, had a relatively fast shutter speed, average flash because most of my photos are taken during the day, at least 3mp optical zoom, was light so it would fit in my pocket or bag, an sd card so i could load directly to laptop, etc etc..
I assume you got a Ricoh Caplio?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Well i think im gonna get a canon ixus 40 which is 3x optical zoom, 4mp with 256mb of storage. RRP for the camera is $699 but im getting it with the 256mb card and a case thrown in for free for $630 all up. Is this a good deal?

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Nice camera; Has video recording (60 secs with sound) too. I'm not sure if that's rather expensive - it sounds a little like that, but with a case and memory card thrown in, and less than the retail, sounds like a bargain.

equiski

HSC
We recently bought a Canon A75 (or A70 i don't have it here to check) with a 256mb CF card for around 400 bucks. The camera has a 3 megapixel ccd and a 3x optical zoom lens. It is a very well made camera with logical dial and menu based controls. It was for my sister (who is hopeless with technology) and she uses it just fine. It sure beats my old fujifilm which i bought a few years ago now,

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
absolution* said:
Well i think im gonna get a canon ixus 40 which is 3x optical zoom, 4mp with 256mb of storage. RRP for the camera is $699 but im getting it with the 256mb card and a case thrown in for free for $630 all up. Is this a good deal?
The camera's good. Solid, doesn't feel like some cheap plastic. Not sure about whether it's a good deal, shop around as prices go down pretty much everyday.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
absolution* said:
sounds kinda like my camera.. i have 3x optical zoom.. 4.1mp... i can take videos with sound (22 mins if i use up my whole memory stick).. it came with rechargeable batteries and a charger.. but mine was $380..
i bought a 512mb memory stick for like $170 so around $550 in total.. mine is more for happy snaps but yeh i like the look of it too.. blue is cool (sony DSC-P73)
its pretty easy to use.. i recommend it
and also the energiser rechargable batteries in the green packet are heaps good (like 4 for $20) they last so much longer than the batteries that came with my camera

bextahunt

I have the Nikon D70 (professional digital SLR camera)
Let me tell you.. its the best camera around!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
bextahunt said:
I guess you haven't tried the D2H/X yet.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
hmm im thinking of buying the Sony DSCP73L because my DSCP72's LCD screen cracked and they said it will cost $415 to replace the LCD!!!

So how would you ppl think of the DSCP73L, do you think its good or i should look for other brands?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
does all cameras that long to process the foto, like for my DSCP72 it took like 10-15 secs to actually allow you to take another shot.

its this NORMAL?

MedNez

HSC
N/A
The DSCP73L looks like a nice camera. Depends on how big the photos it's taking are, as well as the camera, I suppose. 10 seconds sounds about right for 4MP photos saving on a flash stick.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
does anyone know where i can find a place that sells DSCP73L for $350, most major electronic retailers dont match this price :(

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
bextahunt said:

hmmm, currently looking around for a digital SLR, and i've got my eye on that one... it does look good... how much did you pay for it? i've seen it advertised recently for $2,299, is that a good price?

does anyone have a Canon EOS 20D? (SLR, about 8.1 megapixels)

that's the one i REALLY want, since i love photography and am doing a subject in advanced photography this semester, it would be great to have a pro camera for that, especially since my major is graphic design. Just gotta keep saving up! (since it costs about midway between $2-3k)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)