Dip in Languages - is it too late? (1 Viewer)

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
im a 3rd year student doing a bachelor of commerce/science and lately ive been contemplating whether to do the diploma in languages majoring in chinese.

is enrolling next year too late? or should i just wait til i fully finish and graduate before i apply? Cos i know if im doing it, most courses are separated into sem 1 and sem 2, so if i want to start chinese ill prob have to wait til next year, which will be the 4th and last year of my degree (com/sci is only a 4 year degree).

has anyone done this before, cos most people ive read enrolled in first or 2nd year...

i know with the majors i'm doing, most people are thinking why didn't you do com/arts. because at first i wasn't planning to be a uni for 5 years when i could do it with 4 years with a com/sci degree, and was planning to do a language course outside of uni when i finish, at a community college or tafe. but now it seem like doing at uni seems more defined and structured compared to the other courses out there, even though its more expensive.

if i don't do a dip languages, what type of similar courses are out there that people recommend?

Also checked that macquarie also offers a dip lang but the difference between mac and unsw is that unsw is 42units, and mac is 24units so the unsw is more learning.

i personally already know a bit of writing chinese, i learnt traditional chinese when i was small so i basically know how to read, i speak cantonese, i just wanted to perfect my mandarin, and a dip in languages seems to be a better qualification than courses taken from a college.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
hey karen how are you going??

oh wait you probaly dont know who i am though i know you.

well anyway have you contemplated completing instead commerce liberal studies which allows you to do 6 arts or science subjects and you can complete it within 4 years as well.

although im not sure what subjects you have currently completed. the best solution is to actually ask the asb reception since your degree is principally in the asb rather than science. because they might not allow you to do it based on you having completed too much of your degree.

another alternative is that they may suggest doing the diploma externally, in which case you do it on top of your current load.

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
leslie? is that u?

well as i said, im already into 3 years into my 4 year degree, no point in changing degrees now, so im considering doing the diploma, which is just on top of my degree (doesn't affect my degree) or wait til i finish and then do the diploma...

im just wondering which one is better...

Last edited:

drmix

HSC
N/A
never too late

but work...normal uni + dip? mmm

oh and also I dont no if u could be bothered doin nethin after u graduate?

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
drmix said:
oh and also I dont no if u could be bothered doin nethin after u graduate?
well i always wanted to do a course after i graduate at tafe or something for chinese, just mostly perfecting my speaking part, but now that i saw the diploma of languages, wasn't sure whether that would look better on da resume?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hey Karen,

haha you probably don't know me too well either! I think I saw you at uni, but a few of my friends looked so similar to you as well. :p

Anyway, degrees are much better than diplomas. Usually diplomas consist of 36 UOC, but take as much time as doing half a degree. Not really worth doing it.

I've tried diplomas that were offered to me before, god the workload is overwhelming, and I'm not even working.

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
of course i know who u are!!! rex.... how come its only people i know replying to this thread... this is freaky... haha

well unfortunately there is no degree that just give a major in languages since im already doing commerce/science... the diploma at unsw is 42 units, so technically its a major of a degree without having to do all da other arts subject for the arts (language) degree.

if its not the diploma, what else can i study chinese in a more structured way... i know theres tafe, but the language courses i reckon its all over the place...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
karen88 said:
im a 3rd year student doing a bachelor of commerce/science and lately ive been contemplating whether to do the diploma in languages majoring in chinese.

is enrolling next year too late? or should i just wait til i fully finish and graduate before i apply? Cos i know if im doing it, most courses are separated into sem 1 and sem 2, so if i want to start chinese ill prob have to wait til next year, which will be the 4th and last year of my degree (com/sci is only a 4 year degree).

has anyone done this before, cos most people ive read enrolled in first or 2nd year...

i know with the majors i'm doing, most people are thinking why didn't you do com/arts. because at first i wasn't planning to be a uni for 5 years when i could do it with 4 years with a com/sci degree, and was planning to do a language course outside of uni when i finish, at a community college or tafe. but now it seem like doing at uni seems more defined and structured compared to the other courses out there, even though its more expensive.
Hi karen,

I'm currently in my final year of Commerce Law + Diploma of Languages. by the end of this year, i should be able to finish Commerce Law and have 2 subjects (12 units of credit) left over in the Diploma.

Over the past 3 years, what I've done is enrolled in the standard Commerce Law load (24 units) and then enrol in 6 units of Chinese courses for the Diploma. I've been coping with 30 units every semester; my WAM has managed to stay at Distinction level.

As far as I know, you can concurrently enrol in your existing program and Diploma of Languages provided you've completed 48 units of credit at UNSW and have a WAM > 65%. The cost of the Diploma goes on your HECS as well.

Contrary to what Rekkusu suggested, there is almost no difference between a Bachelor of Arts (Chinese) and Dip Languages (Chinese).. A BA requires you to complete the other Arts subjects. A Diploma of Languages is a straight 42UOC 'major' in a language. I attend the same classes as BA and B International Studies students.

Go and have a chat with the Faculty of Social Sciences and Arts office in Morven Brown during the break to ask them for more info. You will also need permission from your 'home' Faculty (I'm not sure whether that is ABS or Faculty of Science) to enrol in the program.

regards,
frig.

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
thnx frigid for the insight... ill think about it. Also do you know whether ill be able to graduate before i finish the diploma? or will it be all together?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
karen88 said:
thnx frigid for the insight... ill think about it. Also do you know whether ill be able to graduate before i finish the diploma? or will it be all together?
well that depends on how many chinese subjects you do a semester. the diploma is 42 units, or 7 subjects. if you do one each semester, it will take you 7 semesters. there are summer schools if you want to make sure you finish it on time, but i don't the summer school subjects much.

have a look at the links on right side of this pagehttp://languages.arts.unsw.edu.au/currentstudents/undergraduate/chinesestudies/index.html to get an idea of what subjects are offered.

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
well as i said before, if i do want to proceed with it, then ill only be able to do prob another 6 units per sem on top of what i have, and ill only be able to start next year... which is my last year... so thats 2 subjects, ill have another 5 subjects to go....

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
karen88 said:
well as i said before, if i do want to proceed with it, then ill only be able to do prob another 6 units per sem on top of what i have, and ill only be able to start next year... which is my last year... so thats 2 subjects, ill have another 5 subjects to go....
you could, of course, do it as a 1 year course after graduation of com/sci. defer grad employment for a year, then take dip lang for a year.

five years @ uni is nothing. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)