DipEd? (1 Viewer)

alen.d

HSC
Evening all,

I was just wondering if it were possible to do a DipEd after a Communications (Journalism) degree? See I want to go to CSU and do journalism there as it's (arguably) the best in Australia and then if I can't find a job right away, do a DipEd. I was wondering if it were possible? Also as I'm from Sydney, I also would like to know if I can do my undergrad at CSU and then come back to Sydney and do a DipEd at USyd/UNSW/UoW?

Thanks!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
A Dip Ed presumes you've got the necessary teaching majors/minors already completed, so unless you can fit whatever you'd like to teach in (Society and Culture maybe as a minor but you still need a major with a Communications degree) you're out of luck.

Having said that, you may be able to do a double degree, BA/B Communication or something like that, and add the Dip Ed later. You'll have to inquire within your university.

Andi0390

HSC
I looked into a DipEd earlier and also came across the major problems. You need to be qualified in whatever you are teaching so you need to have a major in it as well as often some courses which are not mandatory to the major but are mandatory for the DipEd.

For example in an English major I believe you have to do a Shakespeare unit and a Grammar unit.

I am doing my major in Sociology and because Sociology isn't widely taught I would need to major in English or History as well to ever have a full time teaching job.

So you need to make sure you have majors that are part of the teaching curriculum. Its no use having a major in Art History or Gender Studies because these aren't really taught subjects, or if they are, they are usually only taught to a small group for a small period of time.

If you have the majors you should be able to do your DipEd anywhere that you have the entry for, which I imagine is quite easy. I didn't think USYD did DipEd but I could be quite wrong about that. I thought, though I am in no way sure, the the CSU Journalism was in Bathurst but their Arts department is in Wagga, which could make it difficult if you wanted to add an Arts major. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

alen.d

HSC
Thanks for your reply, Andi!
The major being in journalism wouldn't really help towards English teaching would it? I know there are minors in Politics and English so I think that should help in some way...
I'm not too sure about USyd doing DipEd either, but I know that UNSW and UoW both offer it so where isn't really an issue.
I just hope I qualify for it, but we'll see. I've yet to even start uni!
It's a long road before I get to that stage!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)