Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
I have this assessment and one of the questions is:

The cells have a diploid number of 26
(a) What does this mean
(b) What is its haploid number
(c) How many chromosomes are in the daughter cells after mitosis
(d) how many chromosomes are in the daughter cells after meiosis, what are these daughter cells called.

I am completely lost!
Help!

nesstar

The diploid number of chromosomes is the number of chromosomes in an organism's somatic cells (in other words, all body cells except gametes). Gametes have a haploid number of chromosomes, which is half the diploid number (in this case, 13). Mitosis is the process by which somatic cells replicate themselves, and therefore the daughter cells have the same number of chromosomes as the parent cells (i.e. 26). Meiosis is the process by which gametes are formed, therefore the daughter cells contain the haploid number of chromosomes (i.e. 13).
Hope that helps!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Tommy_Lamp

The cells have a diploid number of 26
(a) What does this mean
(b) What is its haploid number
(c) How many chromosomes are in the daughter cells after mitosis
(d) how many chromosomes are in the daughter cells after meiosis, what are these daughter cells called.
a) Explain diploid - two set of chromosomes (2n)....expand on that..
b) Exaplain haploid - one set of chromosome (n)...expand on that..
c) After mitosis, 46 (2n), hence diploid.
d) After meiosis, 23 (n), hence haploid.

Opps, just did your assignment for you.....oh well..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Tommy_Lamp
cool, thanks guys

oh and survivor, thats about 2% of the assessment so dw :D
nesstar's answer is not quite correct.

Originally posted by nesstar
Gametes have a haploid number of chromosomes, which is half the diploid number (in this case, 13).
Not 13 chromosomes, it's 26 chromosomes. it should have been written as "13 pairs of chromosomes, which is equal to 26 chromosomes"

Originally posted by nesstar
Mitosis is the process by which somatic cells replicate themselves, and therefore the daughter cells have the same number of chromosomes as the parent cells (i.e. 26). Meiosis is the process by which gametes are formed, therefore the daughter cells contain the haploid number of chromosomes (i.e. 13).
No true! I think you should use the NUMBER of chromosomes instead of using the number of pairs. Mitosis produce two identical daughter cells containing 46 number of chrosomes, NOT 23. However, 46 chromosomes = 23 pairs.

With meiosis, the 4 non-identical daughter cells contain 23 chromosomes, not 13.

nesstar

ok, now im confused...
obviously this question was not in relation to humans, as our diploid number is not 26...however, if we talk about human chromosomes, the diploid number of chromosomes is 46, which is the number of chromosomes in a somatic cell. The haploid number is half this number (i.e. 23) and this is the number of chromosomes in each gamete.
is that not correct? i still can't see my mistake....

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
well, if it is not talking about human, then you are correct. Sorry for the confusion. :)

nesstar

*phew* for a moment i felt very bad for confusing someone else and also for being very stupid, but now feel much better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)