Diploma in Accounting - what positions can I apply for? (1 Viewer)

sharon8h

HSC
Hi, I'm studying the Diploma of Accounting through OTEN. I will have the course complete at the end of the year. Just wondering what jobs I can apply for at the end of the course? I completed the cert 4 and was working as an accounts clerk at the time.

Also wanted to ask, in the course guide it says that when you complete the Adv Dip you can work as an accountant. Is this true? If so, what's the point of going to uni? I'm tossing up whether to go to uni, as I'm doing well in the course, I received the cert 4 with distinction, and have an average of 97% in the classes I completed this semester (have sat 2 exams and am awaiting the results).

Does anyone have any info that helps me choose which path to follow?
Thanks
-Sharon

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Anyone can call themselves an accountant, it's not a protected title. You'd be crazy to try to find accounting jobs with no quals though! To do CPA/CA you need your accounting degree. To do BASs - you only need Adv Dip level and become a certified bookkeeper with the NIA, but may as well do the degree anyway. To be a registered tax agent you need your degree first, but if you work 'under' someone who is registered you can still get work like H&R Block type stuff. To do bookkeeping (but not including BASs, not giving tax advice, not doing personal end-of-year taxes etc) you don't need quals. Many accountants (that I have come across) don't like doing the data entry bookkeeping stuff, so you may get a job in AR or AP and convince your boss to pay for you to do your degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)