• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Diploma in Law (2 Viewers)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Thanks again for everyones help:).

Ribbon said:
Baristers are supposed to be independant with thier highest duty to the court so they are only allowed to operate in sole practice.
Why does the fact that they are operating in a partnership supposedly poison their independence:confused:?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Merethrond said:
Why does the fact that they are operating in a partnership supposedly poison their independence:confused:?
because dear, like most things with law, it was by tradition. if they operate in partnerships or firms, there would be a lot more conflict of interest (since the Bar is smaller than the total legal profession population).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Frigid said:
because dear,
How old are you, like sixty:p?

Frigid said:
because dear, like most things with law, it was by tradition. if they operate in partnerships or firms, there would be a lot more conflict of interest (since the Bar is smaller than the total legal profession population).
I still don't understand why there would be a conflict of interest though, oh well:).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Merethrond said:
How old are you, like sixty:p?

I still don't understand why there would be a conflict of interest though, oh well:).
hahahaha... nah turning 19 *wishlist: wants a law dictionary for bday; oh and maybe a copy of Quick and Garren - haha sucha law nerd*

ok suppose if there were partnerships, two advocates from the same company/firm would seen to be too close to offer independent, unbiased legal representation.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Frigid said:
hahahaha... nah turning 19 *wishlist: wants a law dictionary for bday; oh and maybe a copy of Quick and Garren - haha sucha law nerd*

:rolleyes:. Haha, actually I am doing a introductory Law subject now and am surprisingly enjoying it:).

Frigid said:
ok suppose if there were partnerships, two advocates from the same company/firm would seen to be too close to offer independent, unbiased legal representation.
I see it now, thanks:).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Merethrond said:
:rolleyes:. Haha, actually I am doing a introductory Law subject now and am surprisingly enjoying it:).
well my introductory law subject is okay-ish... like the history-side of things is really heavy at times and makes you wanna fall asleep -___- but then again if you do it well i guess you'll kickass in fed con when it comes up.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Frigid said:
well my introductory law subject is okay-ish... like the history-side of things is really heavy at times and makes you wanna fall asleep -___- but then again if you do it well i guess you'll kickass in fed con when it comes up.
Oh, I don't do Law as a degree, just one subject for my degree:). Yeah the history did get boring but then we moved onto Negligence and Contracts which was/is good:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
natstar said:
Fuck yeah i do a introductory biz law subject and learning all the history about the politics and constitution was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz. Now we are doing torts and contracts and its pretty straightfoward stuff
Yeah, I am the same. I wish I got the marks to do Law now, although I doubt I would last five years at University:eek:.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
natstar said:
Personally i think law is boring..i still i have trouble staying awake in class...especially cuz its a lectuer/tute combined and it goes till 9pm...
Learning cases is pretty interesting though, especially torts and negligence cases..

santaslayer

HSC
Asquithian said:
ah contracts is fun ...what case book do you use?

law is usful for arguing your way out of a paper bag...

contracts is usuful for arguing with your wife...

crim law is good for knowing when you can rape someone or when you can keep something that you found...

public law is good for when you have no argument whatsoever... just say its against the constitution and run out the side door...
HAHHA...

I have the Carter & Harland Cases and Materials on Contract Law in Australia...:)

X

xeuyrawp

Jonathan A said:
Just thought I would remind people that they can do the Diploma in Law from the Legal Practitioners Admission Board. Whilst there is speculation that its not good enough (i.e. just a Diploma), I believe its perhaps just as challenging.

My lecturers are law academics from a range of universities, from authors of prominent law books, through to practicing barristers who have attained qualifications from around the world.

The Diploma is difficult, with high failure rates. This is because assessment is based on a final exam, rather than part assessment with assignments as with universities. I have spoke to a wide range of people in the profession, many of the top-notch law graduates tend to have also cheated in their assessments. I have heard some even have the help from the lawyers they work for writing up assignments. You can't do this in the DipLaw.
I heard this mentioned a while ago, but I never fully investigated it. Thanks for reminding me, because I have a few friends that may be interested.

It's a four year course, made specifically for those who work full time, as the lectures are at night, and initially, they only let you do 2 subjects per semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)