• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

diploma of software applications? (1 Viewer)

danchurchill

HSC
im going for this course in 07 at hornsby TAFE. 2 years full time (24HPW).
its the game programming diploma.
anyone doing (or done) this course ? if you've done it what are your thoughts? i think its a new course so i dunno if anyone has done it....
i also did certIII in IT in 2005 (18month part time8HPW)

HSC
Hey Dan, I haven't done it, but I am considering that course as well depending on what happens with Uni. I've been to one of the information nights. Basically the overall course covers things like Visual Basic .NET, Java, DirectX (for the 3d stuff) and a few other things. I'm not much of a graphical person so i was hesitent in wanting to do this course, but going to the information night and asking a few questions, if it came down to it, I'd go to Hornsby TAFE and do the course.

I believe the Diploma is Information Technology (Games Development) though the name could change depending on how things get restructed.

But yea, I also would like to know what people think of this course (having done it), just to see what potential future students could be entering.

Who knows Dan, could end up in the same place.

danchurchill

HSC
The Gate Keeper said:
Hey Dan, I haven't done it, but I am considering that course as well depending on what happens with Uni. I've been to one of the information nights. Basically the overall course covers things like Visual Basic .NET, Java, DirectX (for the 3d stuff) and a few other things. I'm not much of a graphical person so i was hesitent in wanting to do this course, but going to the information night and asking a few questions, if it came down to it, I'd go to Hornsby TAFE and do the course.

I believe the Diploma is Information Technology (Games Development) though the name could change depending on how things get restructed.

But yea, I also would like to know what people think of this course (having done it), just to see what potential future students could be entering.

Who knows Dan, could end up in the same place.
hehe ye we mite. and i will b doing it at hornsby tafe. same place i did cert3.
wen was the info evening? i rang up and the lady said its like 6th november or something. maybe they hav more than 1.

i thought they would teach C++ since it's the industry standard in game programming?
i already know vb6 and a bit of c++.
lol ur doin the exact courses i am at skool rite now except i dont do legal studies. dropped business studies for year 12. *creepy*

Last edited:

danchurchill

HSC
since they arent teaching C++ wouldnt that kind of limit the graduates possibilities for entering the market since C++ is basically industry standard for games.

im not sure if i even want to do programming as a career anymore with all the recent discussions about high work hours, low pay and all that. (search for EA games pay issues on google.)

HSC
i believe they teach both vb.net and c++.

the info night i went to was early oct. They have one coming in nov, and another in dec.

You'll know right down to the wire whether or not you'll need to do the tafe course, depending on whether or not you make it into uni.

I think the tafe course is worth it if you miss the opportunity to get into uni, as the ability to learn directx, vb.net 2005, and i believe it does teach c++ as well.

LOL that's pretty cool/creepy that you do the same courses as me. I haven't found anyone who is doing identical subjects to me cause my subjects are pretty much irrelevant to each other.

danchurchill

HSC
when is the info evenin in december?
i think the november one is 2nite (6th)
but my ex-gf is calling me to talk about why she broke up with me 2nite so i wont b able to go.

danchurchill

HSC
yay i got into the games programming course. starts on monday and is only 4 days a weeeeeek. 3 day weekend here i come!!!! lol
anyone else doing this course at hornsby? if so what class are u in for it? im in the yellow class.
-dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)