direction of induced current (1 Viewer)

sssona09

HSC
so if the question asks for direction of induced current, do we always think of Lenz's law?

so we always answer that its clockwise/anti since there will be an eddy current

how would I do the attached one? do I use right hand palm rule and oppose the force or grip rule?
induced.PNG

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Note in your photo it won't be an eddy current as it won't be a circular current.

I point thumb in direction of movement (down), fingers point in direction of magnetic field (into the page), and palm is the force on the positive charges (theoretically - because positive charges don't move, i.e. to the right using my right hand).

Therefore induced current is to the right

sssona09

HSC
Note in your photo it won't be an eddy current as it won't be a circular current.

I point thumb in direction of movement (down), fingers point in direction of magnetic field (into the page), and palm is the force on the positive charges (theoretically - because positive charges don't move, i.e. to the right using my right hand).

Therefore induced current is to the right
ah makes sense!!
so eddy currents are just for closed loops right?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
ah makes sense!!
so eddy currents are just for closed loops right?
I don't really remember since it was a year ago but they're induced in surfaces of conductors or sheets of metal etc as long as there are no slits (in HSC slits means no eddy currents). I think for wires etc it's just an induced current rather than an eddy current but feel free to correct me since I don't fully remember

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)