Directors Folio..... HELP! (1 Viewer)

ezzh

HSC
Hello!

So I am needing some help with my Directors Folio... I'm doing the play 'Assassins'...

I have done brief planning notes and have ideas of what I want to say.. But I'm having trouble putting it on the page. Can anyone help me/ give me some guidence?? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

MelanieSanti

HSC
Hey!

I'm doing the directors folio too. There used to be a guide on HSC online about the directors folio but they took it down :(
I was just wondering, your question isn't really clear, so what do you need help in exactly? Have you got a concept in how you would stage it?

So far for mine (I'm doing Barefoot In The Park) I've researched the play intensively. By that I mean, I've read it once and written something like a first impression of it, and then analyses the characters in the play, and now, which is taking my time a hell of a lot, I'm writing a VERY in depth character analysis (on the main influencing characters). Other things you should consider which could influence your view on how you want to set is by researching:

cast size
space
design
thematic concerns
structural patterns
characterizations
key movements
use of symbols and recurring images
possible directorial approaches
style and mood of the play

Other things apart from the script could include:

the author's life and other works
the period or cultural environment of the setting
reviewers' comments on previous productions and critics comments on the text
other sources which increase understanding of the text
theatrical conventions or styles used
unfamiliar language or terminology

during the design concept:

write descriptions on key imagines, objects and props
colours, textures, lines, shapes and mass
use of space
use of light and dark
the focus on a particular period, style, metaphor for the production...

Theres heaps more information (which right now I just have regurgitated about a half) but you know, if you knew all that I hope it helped, but yeah, basically what I came to find out was the more you research of the play, the more you know how you want to set it up. Seriously, go hard out on the research, it'll be so worth it!

Also, consider going to the theatre (STC, Belvoir...) and watch something, it'll make you think so much about the DF and how you can work it. Good luck ;)

ezzh

HSC
Hey!

Thanks heaps.. No one had replied to the post for a while so I just started haha so I'm all good now..
BUT! I'm having trouble with the section about discussion of research that has influenced the production and the intended experience for the audience ...? Could you help me out??

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)