Disabled people (2 Viewers)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
an interesting read into the sexlife a a disabled man:
http://www.pacificnews.org/marko/sex-surrogate.html

not for the kiddies

focus: what kind of attitudes in society need to be fixed and why? and also how can this be acheive

i will start us off with mentally diabled people... dphysically dissabled people seem to be cut a bit of slack, but mentaly disabled people are mocked all the time, especially in public so that their carers always try and plan the day ahead whenever a trip will mean encountering the public... as a kid i myself made fun of what i labled retards. mostly for their funny behaviour, but that kind of attitude isnt acceptable... maybe some sort of public awareness will fix it

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
wow tats insightful.. i got through about 50%.. sorri i can only read so much sex ... its one of thsoe things..

actually its interesting cos lik old ppl... disable persons are almost expected to be asexual and innocent.. but then their bodies hav desires lik ours.. so if u dun deal with them.. it can be destructive and depressive

im curious.. to wat disability for a 40 yr old on an iron lung in 1990?... cos at first i thought it was severe cystic fibrosis.... but he seems kinda older than expected

malkin86

HSC
If you only read halfway, you missed an important point, about any potential partner:

What do I seek? I don't know. Someone who likes me and loves me and who will promise to protect me from all the self-hating parts of myself? An all-purpose lover-mommy-attendant to care for all my physical and emotional needs? What one friend calls a "shapely savior" -- a being so perfect that she can rescue me from the horror that has been imposed upon me and the horror I've imposed upon myself?
It seems that the writer died in 1999. :(

X

xeuyrawp

malkin86 said:
It seems that the writer died in 1999. :(
Yeah, it's sad.

I'll be honest and say that, since being forced to read inspirational stories, like Noone's Perfect, I think I've become really desensitised to them.

With disabled people; yeah, there's definitely too much discrimination. We have to be careful not to be overly PC, though, as that always leads us bad places.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Unlike with racism, there's no political gain to be made by helping out disabled people, so despite the fact that a huge 20% of us have some form of disability, they'e pretty much ignored.

malkin86

HSC
Where'd you get that 20% figure from? It seems suprisingly large, to me.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
malkin86 said:
Where'd you get that 20% figure from? It seems suprisingly large, to me.
DISABILITY

One in five people in Australia (3,958,300 or 20%) had a reported disability in 2003. A further 4,149,000 (21%) had a long-term health condition that did not restrict their everyday activities. The remaining 11,703,800 (59%) had neither a disability nor a long term health condition.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/0/c258c88a7aa5a87eca2568a9001393e8?OpenDocument

Of course that includes disabilities that do not prevent the person from living a normal life, too. A total of 6.3% of us have a "profound" or "severe" limitation to core activities, while 2.9% have disabilities without specific limitations or restrictions.

Last edited:

yy

HSC
N/A
about 20% disability rate. some ppl beg for disability certificate just to get disability pension. i've heard ppl having problems with alcohol wants to renew their disability pension. ppl with back pain, also wants it, even though it's practically undetectable by the doctor and they still can do some work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)