Discrete Maths Last Minute questions (1 Viewer)

Drsoccerball

HSC
Not convinced. Why?
If you prove x^2 + y^2 = 9M for some M integer then it's proved but I don't know how to prove this that's why im resorting to exhaustion as the answers say but I don't understand it.

leehuan

HSC
If you prove x^2 + y^2 = 9M for some M integer then it's proved but I don't know how to prove this that's why im resorting to exhaustion as the answers say but I don't understand it.
Yeah I've seen that question before as well. I'm reluctant to give into exhaustion but if it appears in the exam I'm gonna do it because I have no choice

Drsoccerball

HSC
Yeah I've seen that question before as well. I'm reluctant to give into exhaustion but if it appears in the exam I'm gonna do it because I have no choice
I showed my tutor my way and he said its all g but I have to prove something in regards to 3 mod 4.

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
This isn't the general solution.
Well, find inverse of 1009 in mod 2013 and do the same thing for y. Alternatively, use Euclidean Algo to find GCD(1039,2013) then reverse process to get in the form GCD(1039,2013) = 1039a + 2013b

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
For the 3 | (x^2 + y^2), just look at all possible squares modulo 3: they are 0^2 = 0, 1^2 = 1, 2^2 = 1.

The only way to get two numbers from {0,1,1} to add to 0 (mod 3) is if both are 0. In other words, if two squares add to a multiple of 3, they are each 0 mod 3, as required.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Give an example of a relation on the set
{1, 2} which is both symmetric and antisymmetric. (It is sufficient to draw an arrow diagram to represent the relation.)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Give an example of a relation on the set
{1, 2} which is both symmetric and antisymmetric. (It is sufficient to draw an arrow diagram to represent the relation.)
Here's one (essentially a trivial one): just draw 1 and 2 (represented by dots for example) with no arrows whatsoever.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
For less trivial ones, they'll be precisely those 'arrow diagrams' where only loops from a dot to itself exist. So there are four possibilities. E.g. you could do one with a loop from 1 to itself and a loop from 2 to itself (and no other arrows).

Drsoccerball

HSC
ind the probability that a hand of 13 cards dealt from a standard pack
will have exactly one card in at least one of the four suits.

What is this even asking?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Definition of not cumulative :

Prove that the sequence S_2,S_3...

where S_n = {multiples of n} is not a cumulative function.

I let n = m + 1 is this right ?
Can't just use m + 1, since could have a factors be included in the lower sets in general. Instead, use n = a prime number bigger than m. I assume you can see why this'll work (also there infinitely many primes so this is well-defined).

Drsoccerball

HSC
Determine the number of cycles of length 4 that Q_n contains.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Can someone check my logic?

[] ?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)