discursive help (1 Viewer)

Hiheyhello

HSC
yeah idk what to do at this point
i feel like i wanna have a couple of prices prepared and also want to practice writing to unseens but i’ve honestly neglected mod C since trials

and the best part is

i haven’t written a single discursive this year
(i’ve got ideas tho)

Wizjaro

HSC
yeah idk what to do at this point
i feel like i wanna have a couple of prices prepared and also want to practice writing to unseens but i’ve honestly neglected mod C since trials

and wait for it

i haven’t written a single discursive this year
It honestly isn't over. Just practice creating images or interesting ideas on the spot.

Hiheyhello

HSC
It honestly isn't over. Just practice creating images or interesting ideas on the spot.
see here is my dilemma
i can’t figure out whether nesa markers prefer a master piece or just a direct answer to the question

my english teachers keep emphasising the importance of context and word building and alll these details that i feel like in order to include you would have to plan so much in advance

but then the nesa samples are really basic and just answer the question… so should i just practice writing on the spot rather than preparing?

Wizjaro

HSC
I feel like people have this misconception that your pieces have to be perfect and amazing and thoroughly planned and etc, but they don't. They just need to show your attempt at utilising skills you've learned in mod C. In saying this it is far more important and impressive if you write a piece which clearly answers the question but also obviously demonstrates your attempt at using varied literary devices. However to be able to use those technqiues in a controlled manner doing the exam you require practice with those techniques and attempting different aspects of it. For instance metafiction is a technique that I hope to use in my mod C piece, so I experimented with having a little metaifctional blurb at the start or using words like "our protagonsist" throughout the piece, or even just a nod to the fact that someone was writing. Of course none of those pieces were perfect, but I still gained experience in terms of how to use those technqiues for the exam. So really for Mod C practice is perfect and your p[iece doesn't have to be perfect or complete to achieve good marks.

Wizjaro

HSC
even when they state-ranked?
Like usually to state rank its like a 95ish raw give or take which means if they just got full marks in every section and got 15 in mod C they would still state rank. I'm not saying that that's what necessarily happened more like you can still state rank if you do ok in one section.

vishnay

God
HSC
Like usually to state rank its like a 95ish raw give or take which means if they just got full marks in every section and got 15 in mod C they would still state rank. I'm not saying that that's what necessarily happened more like you can still state rank if you do ok in one section.
they got higher than 15 and they got above 96 raw

i'm just saying that u can still memorise for mod c since lots of people have this idea that mod c is purely skills based

Hiheyhello

HSC
they got higher than 15 and they got above 96 raw

i'm just saying that u can still memorise for mod c since lots of people have this idea that mod c is purely skills based
so in other words, both methods CAN work if used EFFECTIVELY, just depends on what you’re better at

personally i want to do what ever takes up the least of my study time - just tryna figure out what that issss

ghudshifjhwijnc

HSC
N/A
i reckon if u memorise a discursive about maybe storytelling and the importance of it, that might be useful lol thats what im planning on doing haha

vishnay

God
HSC
so in other words, both methods CAN work if used EFFECTIVELY, just depends on what you’re better at
yeah but i find making a whole piece up on the spot takes way too much effort and it ends up sounding not too good

personally i want to do what ever takes up the least of my study time - just tryna figure out what that issss
if u started earlier in the year i would have suggested working on refining ur skills so u can make something good on the spot and u can adapt with ease but if ur pressed for time then memorise 2-3 pieces for creative, discursive and 2 reflections (one for creative and discursive) and practice adapting them to as many different questions as you can

if u find it difficult to adapt to a particular question note that down so u know where ur weakness lies

Last edited:

uniqueusername1

HSC
How you guys prepping?

Personally i memorised a creative on an insignificant character in my related text (possibility)

Wrote a discursive on: By reading widely we are introduced to new ideas that allow us to think more deeply (also requires related text) - possibility
And memorised 2 random creatives.

I ain't bothering memorising anymore lol. If it is it is.

uniqueusername1

HSC
yeah but i find making a whole piece up on the spot takes way too much effort and it ends up sounding not too good
Yea same when I write it on the spot it sounds shit. However, when i think mines bad i end up getting the best of marks lol.

zizi2003_

HSC
APPARENTLY
a lot of teachers and ppl have predicted that for this year's mod C question they'll give us an image as a stimulus (for adv)
how then can we adapt etc ?? like can we use that image metaphorically and not explicitly

uniqueusername1

HSC
APPARENTLY
a lot of teachers and ppl have predicted that for this year's mod C question they'll give us an image as a stimulus (for adv)
how then can we adapt etc ?? like can we use that image metaphorically and not explicitly
lol I tried writing metaphorically did not go to plan or well (teachers don't really like it or perhaps its just my cranky as english faculty). Hopefully its just like write a creative in the perspective of an insignificant character in your prescribed text.

zizi2003_

HSC
lol I tried writing metaphorically did not go to plan or well (teachers don't really like it or perhaps its just my cranky as english faculty). Hopefully its just like write a creative in the perspective of an insignificant character in your prescribed text.
bruhhh what if my texts have no characters LOL
'How to Marry your Daughters' and 'Spotty-Handed Villainesses' - they both don't have characters do they? just the narrative voice ugh im so lost for mod c rip

uniqueusername1

HSC
bruhhh what if my texts have no characters LOL
'How to Marry your Daughters' and 'Spotty-Handed Villainesses' - they both don't have characters do they? just the narrative voice ugh im so lost for mod c rip
na you gotta study multiple texts.

One discursive, one creative and one persuasive.

We did metamphorphosis, spotty handed and politics.

Because they can ask you to do a specific one and you need quotes from each lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)