Discussion: How do/did you study? (1 Viewer)

P

Peter-JC

What do you think is the most effective way to soak in information from the books?

E.g. try to make notes and summaries and revise regularly

And what shouldn't you do?

driaxx

HSC
What do you think is the most effective way to soak in information from the books?

I followed a similar approach, done in different ways for every subject. I made summary notes, but then summarized the summaries. For example, with 'Business Studies', I printed off the syllabus on large A3 paper and drew pictures and keynotes for every dotpoint to help me remember them. I did this with Business however, because with this subject the syllabus is important to remember.

For English, I followed a similar approach. I printed out my analysis' and around them wrote keywords for the construction of every paragraph.

For Modern History: mind maps on every 'key point' with every stem representing the things which needed mentioning on every point in a given essay.

I find this is the best way because along with your revision notes, you probably already know how to put things in your own words and construct sentences around points. One or two keywords are easier to remember and elaborate on in basically every subject.

lil-chilean

HSC
i makes notes.then closer to exams thoses notes become smaller and smaller till i have about 1 years worth of work on 2 pages .also i talk about it with my mum ,even if she dosen't get it ,helps me take it in

wendybird

HSC

Try this method for reading, its threefold:

1st time: Skimming for general ideas and overview- just getting an idea of the main points and the paramaters of the info. (Doesn't matter if you don't "get" it at this point, simply note what jumps out at you).

* Then do a mini sketch of what main ideas/points you've picked up.

2nd time:
Reading more carefully, and focus on the key points you've picked up. Annotate the margins with you're interpretation of what you've read, any questions you have, underling any confusing words or lines.

3rd time:
Reading specifically the underlined parts and the parts you've highlighted as strange or problematic.

THEN do notes, which should be alot clearer than just regurgitating the text as you've probably grasped the key points and the main ideas the writer is trying to express by now.

dan2452

HSC
For the S.C. I wrote down Everything I knew about certain subjects, then researched the subjects, elaborated on it, then condensed it down.

Worked fairly well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)