Disgusting Student Unions (1 Viewer)

nikmueller

HSC
what happened at macquarie was crazy. any organisation that allows the farce that went on is a terrible organisation. blaming student unions for it is completely out of place.

macquarie stuff was done by a guy high up in the young libs. it is in the NSW parliament hansard that this guy paid a couple of grand of student union cash for a table at a libs fundraiser.
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hanstrans.nsf/v3ByKey/LA20061025

i believe that he was responsible for incorporating the union in 2005.

transperancy and accountability is so important. this guy was clever and put a lot of energy into finding the loop holes in the student union system. generally this doesn't happen. for the students that come after him, it means that the university won't trust us with a grain of sand.

cool to see you are interested though

Rorix

HSC
ok, its bothered me long enough

whats the pokemon supposed to mean?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
koube0530 said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-rise-and-fall-of-chairman-ma/2007/06/07/1181089242187.html

Stories like this at Sydney University and Macquarie University, and also the liquidation of Melbourne Uni's Student Union a few years back because of fraud, makes me all the more convinced that Howard did the right thing in stamping out crappy student unions.
He didn't stamp out anything, just made it non-compulsory to join one, just as in the workforce.

Idiot.

koube0530

HSC
It's close enough to stamping out. While their legal capacity is still in tact, in all practicality they're as big an organisation as my local milkbar. HAHAHAHA

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
koube0530 said:
It's close enough to stamping out. While their legal capacity is still in tact, in all practicality they're as big an organisation as my local milkbar. HAHAHAHA
Not really. The capacity is there to manage quite a significant need based on demand. If someone wanted to wipe them out, they'd have done that a long time ago, what it does is offer people a choice and if there is a high enough demand, it'll be successful, (and if well managed) otherwise its merely another facet which might be overlooked.

It introduces the user-pays system rather than forcing everyone to pay for something that they theoretically won't ever use.

Go grab some rope and neck yourself.

koube0530

HSC
Whatever... I don't care about the theory or rationale behind the new system. I look at the practical consequences.

The truth is they've lost millions of dollars in fees - end of story.

What you're saying is akin to: Communism is good blah blah blah, it distributes wealth among people equally. I don't care. The practical consequence is all those communist countries are third world.

Are you on the student union? Why are you so sensitive?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
koube0530 said:
OMG STUDENT UNIONS WASTOMG MONEY

you forgot that Ma was the Liberal endorsed candidate you dumb shit

koube0530 said:
What you're saying is akin to: Communism is good blah blah blah, it distributes wealth among people equally. I don't care. The practical consequence is all those communist countries are third world.
how to draw ridiculous and fucking stupid parallels: a masterclass by forum poster koube0530

koube0530

HSC
Well they're either Liberal or Labor. Everyone in student politics knows. Who's the dumb shit? HAHAHAHA

Seriously, have you ever been in student politics, kid? You're er... first year semester 1 aren't you?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
koube0530 said:
Well they're either Liberal or Labor. Everyone in student politics knows. Who's the dumb shit? HAHAHAHA
you draw parallels of student unionism with communism, i think its quite safe to say you would have assumed Ma was a labor-left or futher to the left than that.

Seriously, have you ever been in student politics, kid? You're er... first year semester 1 aren't you?
yes yes all my opinions are worthless without first hand opinions

koube0530

HSC
Nope, I knew he was Liberal. I actually read the newspaper article I posted, which says he was Liberal.

You're just taking my analogy out of context.

I was talking about student unions as a whole; how they've lost a lot of money and don't mean much anymore, when I responded to what-sis-name. Did you see me mention Ma in that post or target Macquarie University in any way?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
ma was the worst offender by far, if you really are in melbourne you probably haven't heard of what he did as much as sydney. he really epitomised the thread's title. considering he set up a job for his wife @ 70k a year, that's pretty gross. you would have only been able to post this thread with the help of Ma.

i havent heard the same wastefulness in any other university union reported in the media post VSU

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
koube0530 said:
Whatever... I don't care about the theory or rationale behind the new system. I look at the practical consequences.

The truth is they've lost millions of dollars in fees - end of story.

In other words, you know nothing about the situation and read the trash newspapers and believe them 100%.

So what about the other student unions which are surviving and not doing anything wrong?

What I'm saying is nothing like communism, in fact the core of what I'm saying is inherently capitalist. You just illustrated you have no fucking idea.

For someone who graduated in 2002, you sure are a dumb shit.

You'd make a perfect case for post-birth abortions.

Have a nice day. :)

koube0530

HSC
Maybe. I tend to disagree with that.

Check out what happened with Melbourne University and how Andrew Landeryou (Labor member, son of a former minister called Bill Landeryou and husband of former Melbourne City Councillor called Kimberly Kitching), Darren Ray, Scott Crawford (MUSU President, admittedly a Liberal member put in place by an uneasy alliance between Labor and Liberal [after right wing Labor betrayed the left wing faction to ally with Liberal]) ripped all this money out of the union and ended up with criminal charges (much worse than Ma). You probably weren't around to see that - I think it was 2002 or 2003 when I started university.

Anyway, my posts weren't talking about Ma, like I said.

koube0530

HSC
AsyLum said:
In other words, you know nothing about the situation and read the trash newspapers and believe them 100%.

So what about the other student unions which are surviving and not doing anything wrong?

What I'm saying is nothing like communism, in fact the core of what I'm saying is inherently capitalist. You just illustrated you have no fucking idea.

For someone who graduated in 2002, you sure are a dumb shit.

You'd make a perfect case for post-birth abortions.

Have a nice day. :)
Haha... see my post above. MUSU was liquidated a few years back. You're obviously too young, kid, to have lived through that.

And how do we know you're a kid? You just come in and hurl insults, just like those student politics thugs. I'm starting to suspect you're one of those. Why don't people like you and Ma go get a real job, and contribute something to society? You don't have to be an investment banking grad making $200,000 pa, but do something productive with life, thug.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Yes, before my time, in Melbourne and pre-VSU. I'm pretty sure they'd be quite fucked if they tried that now. At least, one would hope so.

koube0530

HSC
Yea. I also think they're in much weaker position to do that since they no longer have that much funds to screw around with.

nikmueller

HSC
does one counter-example break the rule?

i am not affiliated with any political party and i am the student rep on university council at macq.

student unions have nothing to do with price-floors and wages but everything to do with representation. How can students be heard without representatives? Without unions to support students with training, where do they come from? There arn't any leadership/representative training programs at my uni, what about yours? do we just expect people are born leaders?

it is easy to point at failed student groups and laugh at how bad they are when they go wrong. easy and pointless. what is your alternative for student representation?

koube0530

HSC
I don't believe 20-yr old kids are in a position to control millions of dollars like the used to. The reason MUSU went bankrupt was because they don't even understand the financial statements, as the lawyers and accountants have testified to in court.

Anyway, I was just saying they're in a much weaker position than they used to be in, before the topic got steered away by people making random insults.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)