Distance education - how is it like (1 Viewer)

alex_c86

HSC
is this as in distance ed, or oten? im doin 8 units through oten this year, and while the subject material is actually pretty good, its so hard to get yourself motivated to start doing the work.. though once you get the assignments over with its good i guess

Cab31

HSC
My sister did distance ed and she found it really good. She got a UAI in the nineties and she beleives she wouldnt have got that high had she have been at a normal school.

However, it isnt for everyone. You really have to be disciplined and the style of learning has to suit you. Some people learn best on their own while others prefer to have someone there to answer questions on the spot and things like that.

jabbott

HSC
if you are a 'single course' student - it means you are enrolled at a school and are doing a subject by dist. ed. (maybe because your school doesn't offer it). when you have an exam, the distance ed school sends the exam to your normal school and then you are supervised doing that exam at school.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I do two courses by distance ed. the content of the course is quite good, well structured, easy to understand, etc. the work is good... doing it is the problem. hard to get motivated sometimes, and the work i do at school tends to get first prority even though it definitely shouldn't. theoretical subjects are easier to do than practical. I know of people who've done music by distance ed, and struggled immensley with the performance side of it, for example. I myself do goegraphy and modern history, which are quite theoretical and therefore easy to do by distance ed, though I find the fieldwork side of geography challenging at times. i do distance ed because they weren't offered at my school.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
and by the way, i do it through Walgett Community College!! .... yes, THAT walgett...

IceBreaker

HSC
what happens when you do the whole HSC through oten, how would you sit half-yearly and trial?

Cab31

HSC
IceBreaker said:
what happens when you do the whole HSC through oten, how would you sit half-yearly and trial?
Your parents have to supervise it. The thing is if you cheat they will know because your exam mark wont reflect your class work and everything and then u will be penalised. And then that will stuff your rank...which is the most important thing anyway

K

katie_tully

Lucky I did a search of my name, or I'd never have found this thread.

Anyway -

When I was at a larger high school (Forbes High), I did Ancient History through distance education in Dubbo, as Forbes was not offering any history courses for the HSC. This meant I would get one "free" period a day, where I'd go to the library and do my Ancient work. Dubbo would mail the work to me, I'd do the work and depending on what work it was I could email it to my teacher, or snail mail it. Distance Ed like this takes alot of self discipline, coz it's easy to forget about doing the work and skipping free periods because there's nobody to supervise you.

Now however, I actually go to a school every day, but there's only 80 kids from k-12. In our year 12 class there are 8 students. Because we're in the middle of NSW, most of the schools out here in the small rural towns only have a few students doing the HSC, so 7 schools in my district have joined together to form one big class.
The problem is however, teachers for some of our subjects are in different schools, and so are most of the students.
For example: My biology teacher is in Peak Hill, my maths teacher is in Yeoval, my P.E teacher is in Trangie, etc, etc. The only teacher at my school is my Ext History teacher and Advanced English teacher. We do have co-teachers however. These people sit down with us 2 hours a week and we do the work required.
It works like this -
All the schools are linked together by "video conferencing". We have a t.v in our room, a camera and we have this brady bunch thing on the TV where we can see all the other schools. For each subject we get 2, 1/2 hour classes a week on the video conferencing. The teacher and students from the other schools get on, and it's like a normal class except for a 2 second delay with the camera. Our work is faxed, emailed or snail mailed to us, and we sit in our "room" and do work, and for each subject we get "tutorial" time with a teacher from our school, where they help us. A science teacher sits with everybody doing some form of HSC science, and we do work..only it's crap, coz he's trying to concentrate on senior science, bio, chem and physics at the same time.

So yeah.
It's pretty hard. You've got to motivate yourself to do the work, because alot of the time you're on your own in the room, and it's quite easy to screw around and do nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)