Distance Education (1 Viewer)

m.c.moey

Purple's a fruit
HSC
Im currently doing Modern History by distance education, and i was just wondering if anyone can help me with tips and stuff if theyre doing it, preferably someone who has done distance education. I get work on a weekly basis and do that and send it back and receive feedback, what extra steps shud i take. and is this a good idea for hsc, do people usualy go good in it or tend to go bad?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
m.c.moey said:
do people usualy go good in it or tend to go bad?
I can't see why you can't do well in the hsc, make sure you keep up with the work that's set, and revise what you have learnt as much as you can. All the best for this year. ;)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
m.c.moey said:
Im currently doing Modern History by distance education, and i was just wondering if anyone can help me with tips and stuff if theyre doing it, preferably someone who has done distance education. I get work on a weekly basis and do that and send it back and receive feedback, what extra steps shud i take. and is this a good idea for hsc, do people usualy go good in it or tend to go bad?
hmm these two are excellent textbooks that will help you.

Core Study: Evidence of war : studying the first world war through sources
All topics:Key Features Of Modern History

For section one make sure you know the structure of how to write the answer and have a LOT of background knowledge of things such as important events, people/groups, dates, why propaganda was used(eg.to make people support the war effort, boost morale in the people, to encourage hatard for the enemy) etc . if you know all of this i can ensure you that you will get a good mark for that section. and don't make genearlized comments if they ask something like "how did women react to the war". write something like various groups reacted differently throughout the war .. Make sure you have a balance between your own knowledge and the source for question 2 and 3. thus you should always start writing with your own knowledge and then have clear reference to the sources to back it up. integrate everything. i did the most stupid mistake for my first modern assessment as i used too much from the source and i forgot to use more of my own knowledge. don't make the same mistake as i did ! ><". For question 3 which is the hardest question start off by saying each of the sources is useful but in different ways and verious degrees and then look at things such as the perspective, usefulness, where it comes from to evaluate any extent of bias. if looking at photos take into consideration if the photo is staged and it's purpose. just because it's a photo it doesn't mean it is realiable because we don't know what happening before or at the moment the photo was taken. it's merely the photography's perspective. and even if a source is unreliable it can still be considered as reliable as it can be used as evidence of how someone though of something.

modern history is a fun subject, but it sucks how much you have to study lol. if you need help with anything just pm me =].

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

Well my friend did Japanese cont and ext and got 97 and 47 respectively through OHS (open high school)

As long as you are motivated to do the work and don't slack off then why couldn't you get high HSC mark?. But hearing from some people it's hard to get motivated to do the work because no one is pushing you to hand in homework and stuff

odd_one_out

HSC
DO the work and make sure you send it in ON time. I did one subject (not history) through distance ed. and would send it in late (stupid, yes I know). It is however a lot easier to do this because you are not seeing your teachers daily (that said however I did that with most my subjects). And they can and do send out warning letters.

And I would say def. get access to/purchase a few good texts to use, I found using other books let me give better answers to the weekly exercises than just using the info they provide.

Best of luck, and so long as you aren't as lazy as me you should do fine :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
odd_one_out said:
DO the work and make sure you send it in ON time. I did one subject (not history) through distance ed. and would send it in late (stupid, yes I know). It is however a lot easier to do this because you are not seeing your teachers daily (that said however I did that with most my subjects). And they can and do send out warning letters.

And I would say def. get access to/purchase a few good texts to use, I found using other books let me give better answers to the weekly exercises than just using the info they provide.

Best of luck, and so long as you aren't as lazy as me you should do fine :)
i feel seeing teachers everyday much more better as they help keep you on task and motivate you.

m.c.moey

Purple's a fruit
HSC
THanks alot everyone that helps, hopeles5ly thanks for the mention of the textbooks ill get them asap.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
hmm you live in granville? thats pretty close to where i am. what school do you go to?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
m.c.moey said:
I go 2 granville boys, scared of being pulled down
serious granville boys doesn't offer modern history? hmm what other subjects do you do?

m.c.moey

Purple's a fruit
HSC
nah it was offered, but it came in same line as pdh, most of the boys went 2 pdh, only 8 ppl chose modern and when the principal said it wouldnt run they all deserted and went to pdh but i fought for modern lol, me and another bloke do it 2gether.
I also do 3unit maths, Adv english, business studies, Legal studies and recently dropped chemistry

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
m.c.moey said:
nah it was offered, but it came in same line as pdh, most of the boys went 2 pdh, only 8 ppl chose modern and when the principal said it wouldnt run they all deserted and went to pdh but i fought for modern lol, me and another bloke do it 2gether.
I also do 3unit maths, Adv english, business studies, Legal studies and recently dropped chemistry
nice. yeah i would choose history over pdh any day lol.

HSC
m.c.moey said:
I do all my subjects through distance education... I'm in the HSC part now.
What I found to help me, if after you get the feedback - re-read the assignment and all the all the questions you got wrong, go back through the notes and study over it to find out where you went wrong. If I can't find where I made the mistakes, I ring or email and ask for help.

P

pLuvia

wow, that's pretty wierd Pink Butterfly. Why are you studying everything through Distant Education?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Pink_Butterfly said:
I quit school after finishing year 10 (because I was a naughty girl, so it was either quit or get kicked out). I then went to TAFE to do the HSC but never turned up to class so even know I passed, I wasn't trying. I went on to do Business Administration and Communication Skills. Then I decided I wanted to do the HSC again... but after the preliminary through OTEN, I decided I needed a break from studying, so I took a year off. I got a low paying full time office administration job and realised that I couldn't work in that type of industry for life - I quit and went back to being a fresh food person so I could study full time.
As for studying with OTEN, I really enjoy it. I just find the lack of social interaction a bit boring. I would go to TAFE, but with the hours I work it would be impossible to study full time and I live on my own, so I have to pay my way.
My subjects include: Business Studies, Economics, English (Advanced), Food Technology and PDHPE.
There's her story. :)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Some times learning through distance education can be better it all depends on the person and their circumstances. Distance education can help those people that like to be independent learners and it can help students to take responsibility for their own learning. Study is basically self direct because there isn't that social interaction with other students to compare extra, but for that there is always BOS.

Good luck with distance education, as a modern history student myself I would be happy to help if needed of course if I have done the topic :p.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
well, im doin cosmo right now, and i dont know if you can really call it distance education, but i guess its pretty fun going at your own pace, but i guess you cant slack off,and you gotta still stay in line

P

pLuvia

oh no lol. I was commenting on Pink Butterfly's story, forgot to quote it haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)