Distance Education (1 Viewer)

mija

HSC
do you think its worth doing??

i got accepted into a distance education course...
but now that i think of it...
i wont get to know people, i'll have a zero social life -__-

plus i'm not sure i'll be able to cope with the work...
does anyone do distance education?
do the learning centres give enough support?

does anyone know who is doing distance education?

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
one of my friends from school is doin b biz by dist at csu cose she hated on campus. it really hard cose u have to make the effort to learn, no lecture but csu gives fairly good support.

Rory

HSC
I did the last two years of high school via distance education and I really wouldn't recommend it (especially for University) unless you absolutely positively *had* to do it due to special circumstances; otherwise you'd most likely be better off attending on-campus education. Distance Education is good if you're anal about your school work and can maintain focus and self dicipline; it really helps you with your educational iniative etc but in the end you will feel disadvantaged to other students doing the same course. It's up to you in the end and whether you think you could successfully do it all by yourself with minimal help from the people who organise it; you could always try it for a semester or year, see how it goes and if it's not your thing, transfer into a uni for on-campus education, but yeh, I really wouldn't reccommend it if you can find other venues.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Do you have high levels of self motivation?
Is the course relevant to your current work situation or interests?
Can you devote time to the subject from your life?

If any of the above answers are no then distance education is not for you.
I have done distance ed before both as a teacher and as a student. The questions above are usually the things that get people unstuck, they may need someone to prod them along, or they really don't know anything at all about the content and it's not relevant to their current situations, or they only picked distance ed because they don't have time to attend class and think they can learn without devoting the same amount of time in distance mode (as if there was some magic handout that will explain it all in 5minutes that on-campus students don't get).

What you will usually get though is everything handed to you on a platter, like course notes, references, selected readings etc that internals would have to pay for.

Usually distance ed courses have online forums and other avenues for support. It depends which uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)