Distinction Average (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I need about 5.65 or so apparently to transfer with my uai, so unless i really have stuffed up my exams: yes :)

Demandred

HSC
BoC said:
I think you guys/girls with a Distinction average should know what I am about to post. For those wishing to do honours this was how it worked for myself. For the first two years of my economics degree, i had an average GPA of 6.8 odd. Basically, this didn't mean much at all. It all comes down to how I do in the third and final year of my degree. To get first class, I must get >6, second 2a >5.x and so on. It is because they (the unis) weight third year so much higher than the previous two years, it is possible to get credit grade point avgs in the first two years, yet excel in the third year and honours year and come out with a first class honours.

I think though, that making sure you get a D in every subject, would be a good goal (albeit not a hard one). This is so you don't need to worry about weightings, and also to keep your options open with graduate programs such as they offer at the RBA.

On an offtopic note, I have been reading these forums for quite a while, and I love all the threads about which degree/uni is better. Seeing as though the majority of people giving advice aren't out of uni (and thus have no basis to compare different degrees and unis), may I suggest that those asking for it, don't lend a lot of weight to them, but nevertheless to take it on board (There are some on here that DO seem to have some knowledge). For mine, it seems there is a lot of ego on here, and to those people, I say good luck with that.

I do wish you all luck with your studies. I offer one final bit of advice. Whilst it is good to know what you want to be and to keep your eye on the prize, don't get caught up in the "which uni has the best degree for being an investment bankers", because you young ones have a long way to go and it pays to keep focus on the present, not something you can't quite get yet. Also, there is one important thing lacking from this board in terms of advice. I see people saying keep your grades up etc. which is good. But also, join up all the clubs and societies you can at uni, as well as external ones. Join up the CPA passport programs, attend commerce meetings. These networking skills can sometimes get you places where just having good grades will never get you.

OK, that is all, study on peoples.
I'd rep you if the rep system was still working.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sikeveo said:
hmm nice, usyd are so generous with transfers
I wouldn't necessarily say that. UNSW apparently takes the highest out of your GPA/UAI. I think I could maybe get law with that. I think I'll stick with usyd though and take the next best thing: go to a lot of law parties :D

And looks like I'm well on my way to the transfer. Got 26/30 for my 8credit point subject (all my others are 6) assignment. I'm on 91% for it atm. <3 consumer behaviour.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
BoC said:
I think you guys/girls with a Distinction average should know what I am about to post. For those wishing to do honours this was how it worked for myself. For the first two years of my economics degree, i had an average GPA of 6.8 odd. Basically, this didn't mean much at all. It all comes down to how I do in the third and final year of my degree. To get first class, I must get >6, second 2a >5.x and so on. It is because they (the unis) weight third year so much higher than the previous two years, it is possible to get credit grade point avgs in the first two years, yet excel in the third year and honours year and come out with a first class honours.

I think though, that making sure you get a D in every subject, would be a good goal (albeit not a hard one). This is so you don't need to worry about weightings, and also to keep your options open with graduate programs such as they offer at the RBA.

On an offtopic note, I have been reading these forums for quite a while, and I love all the threads about which degree/uni is better. Seeing as though the majority of people giving advice aren't out of uni (and thus have no basis to compare different degrees and unis), may I suggest that those asking for it, don't lend a lot of weight to them, but nevertheless to take it on board (There are some on here that DO seem to have some knowledge). For mine, it seems there is a lot of ego on here, and to those people, I say good luck with that.

I do wish you all luck with your studies. I offer one final bit of advice. Whilst it is good to know what you want to be and to keep your eye on the prize, don't get caught up in the "which uni has the best degree for being an investment bankers", because you young ones have a long way to go and it pays to keep focus on the present, not something you can't quite get yet. Also, there is one important thing lacking from this board in terms of advice. I see people saying keep your grades up etc. which is good. But also, join up all the clubs and societies you can at uni, as well as external ones. Join up the CPA passport programs, attend commerce meetings. These networking skills can sometimes get you places where just having good grades will never get you.

OK, that is all, study on peoples.
are you sure that unis weigh second and third year subjects higher? I thought that was just for the SWAM calculation, rather than GPA or WAM.

BoC

HSC
I am not 100% sure. However, I know they do this at my uni, and other unis. But they may not do this it all unis. The best option would be to check with your faculty.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yay, i'm legally on a gpa and wam distinction avg now :p got 88 for work1002.
GPA = 6.0
WAM = 78

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
are you sure that unis weigh second and third year subjects higher? I thought that was just for the SWAM calculation, rather than GPA or WAM.
It appears that at some unis, different faculties weigh different years differently
I know that the Commerce faculty at UNSW doesn't, and I don't imagine the USyd commerce faculty does either

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
It appears that at some unis, different faculties weigh different years differently
I know that the Commerce faculty at UNSW doesn't, and I don't imagine the USyd commerce faculty does either
Yeah. My Engineering WAM is weighted for year, SciWAM doesn't count 1st year (although I'm not sure if its scaled differently for 2nd and 3rd not sure).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
natstar said:
Do your uni's put your WAM on your results notification, or just your GPA/
i heard they put neither. i have a transcript for 1st sem and it only gives results

stazi

Nightman
HSC
YAY! Current wam 80.526 with two subs to come. Should be on about 79.
I need a GPA calculator as numbers confuse me

stazi

Nightman
HSC
My gpgay could go up tomorrow :) They're rechecking one of my assessments as they didn't assess one component of my participation portfolio (by accident, I guess). All i need is an extra .5 marks and I should get another HD :D

frootloop

HSC
natstar said:
Exacly. Uni and high school marking is soooo different. Anything over a pass is a bonus
Not looking forward to getting mere passes when at high school I'd usually get 90s. =(

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Generally you won't just get passes if you know the material well and apply yourself throughout the semester. In my view, if you get out of the 'omg uni assessments are really difficult' mentality then you should be consistently exceeding the pass mark provided that you have a reasonable degree of intelligence.

ioniser

HSC
hey people whats it like trying to achieve a distinction average in engineering.

You know its like maths problem solving,where the really really really smart people (are able to solve the problems that require alot of thinking)will be able to get high marks but do the average people have a chance of achieveing high marks as well

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Its simple, we see what we expect to see.
If we expect a D average to be hard, we'll MAKE it hard for ourselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)