Distinction Courses (1 Viewer)

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
yulz555 said:
I applied for philosophy, and I am goign to the USYD open day, but I highly doubt I will get in, my report is not too good. Good luck to everyone else!
Yeah. I applied for Philosophy too...going to the open day as well...but I think my report is not just "not too good", it's revolting. Anyhow I am running a $20 bet with a certain someone that I won't get in. Plus, I already have 12 units, so I'm just going to let fate sweep me away. I just thought it might be cool, because our group does Philosophers in Latin extension.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Bookie said:
i wanna do cosmology for the cosmology, not for the UAI or anything
it goes to the uai doesn't it?
what you said sounds as if you don't want it in the uai.
cosmology?-have fun checking out the stars and finding out the end of the universe...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yeah it does, as long as it's in your best 10 units.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
stella8h8chang said:
Yeah. I applied for Philosophy too...going to the open day as well...but I think my report is not just "not too good", it's revolting. Anyhow I am running a $20 bet with a certain someone that I won't get in.
heh, I bet someone's being modest!
I seem to remember you posting practically all 90s marks in the results thread :).

HSC
N/A
Yes, Distinction Courses do count towards the UAI, and the scaling is through the roof.

+17.1.

In 2003, only a few courses scaled higher than that... being- Latvian Continuers, Classical Greek Extension, Maths Ext 2, Classical Greek Continuers, Latin Extension.

And I bet it's an absolutely terrific learning experience - so different to the standard HSC courses.

Good luck to all who applied!

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
drewgcn said:
heh, I bet someone's being modest!
I seem to remember you posting practically all 90s marks in the results thread :).
Haha...well I didn't post my HSC mark, did I? That's going to be dismal...because I am pretty sure I royally screwed up SDD last Wednesday, and hence I'm out of the running. Besides, I got on the wrong side of some of my teachers this year...

frenchic

HSC
N/A
stella8h8chang said:
Plus, I already have 12 units, so I'm just going to let fate sweep me away. I just thought it might be cool, because our group does Philosophers in Latin extension.
I already have 13 units, with the HSC course i just finished, so it will be a bit scary having 15, even though 2 of them i already finished. But I still wouldnt mind getting into pholosophy, in fact I will be ecstatic, if I do, because its so unlikely lol. See everyone on friday...good luck!

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Fairly good stuff today. I like the speeches and stuff [mind you, the second guy who spoke really fast was some type of uber-nerd (yes, I used uber to emphasise the nerdiness)]

Today has made me want to do Cosmology even more and I couldnt care less if it counted towards the UAI or not. Either way, I'm hoping to get in but I dont think 2U maths is enough [even though I'm sure I'll beast it]. I'll hope for the best.

Roll call;

I say I.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I didn't go today because I don't have an interest in any of the courses offered =\

Captain pi

HSC
I really doubt anyone would go through a Distinction Course and not enjoy it – and I don't think that point has been lost on anyone here.

I did Philosophy this year. Having done this, I think the way to decide which distinction course you want is quite simple:
Generally, no-one is torn between cosmo and comp. lit: it's generally philosophy and the other two. To decide between these two, there is only one thing you really have to decide: do I want to be in a large cohort (Philosophy is easily the largest: twice the size of the other two combined) or in a small cohort (Cosmology or Comp. Lit.). That's the dilemma.

Yours sincerely,

Captain pi.

frenchic

HSC
N/A
stella8h8chang said:
For me...it's going to be philo versus comp lit... **sigh**
lol i am in exactly the same position, although i am leaning towards comp.lit. since I am going to be writing my 4u english work on a similar topic to one of the modules studied in com.lit.

frenchic

HSC
N/A
Bookie said:
Thats gonna be a fuckload of english then, yulz.
haha i know, its not too bad yet, i am enjoying ext1, in ext2 a bit frustrated atm, the worst one is advanced, i want to burn emma! But comp.lit. would be wonderful, i think...

frenchic

HSC
N/A
Bookie said:
Well, there wont be too many applicants, so you should be assured a spot I reckon. I gave my principal my application today.
shiiittt i forgot to give it in, great lol! do you know if we are supposed to fill out the section "school report on specific abilities" or is it the school principal. I am not too sure about getting in, after talking to some people on info day, i felt so little in comparison lol.... all these guys accelerated in 4u maths, but i doubt they will be applying for comp.lit. hmmm we shall see, oh and exactly a month till we get our hsc results how scary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)