Do be a tutor? (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Hi Everyone,

I am considering doing tutoring in mathematics for years 7 to 11 including adv and extension.

How do i start it off?

What do tutors do? Would i reteach what they are currently learning in class? Do i ask if they have any problems with what they are learning? Do i teach them different stuff?

Any help is appreciated!

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
kurt.physics said:
Hi Everyone,

I am considering doing tutoring in mathematics for years 7 to 11 including adv and extension.

How do i start it off?

What do tutors do? Would i reteach what they are currently learning in class? Do i ask if they have any problems with what they are learning? Do i teach them different stuff?

Any help is appreciated!
Well id first assess their level. If they are a pretty developed student looking to extend themselves, particularly those in 7-10, it might be an idea to go on ahead since the syllabus is quite repetitive in what you learn.

Asking what problems they have is a must. You should try and make sure they ask quite a few questions but at the same time, not interrupt your lesson plan.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kurt.physics said:
Hi Everyone,

How do i start it off?

Any help is appreciated!
It would be hard for you to attract some clients around here considering that some people have this mindset that they don't want to be tutored by younger people. I am not saying you are incapable. You are very smart around the forum and I support you for your great mathematical skills.

But considering that you are like yr 9 or 10 now, I doubt that there will be many clients for your service (especially 10-11 year people).

Persuading the people that you can actually teach them some decent maths will be the challenge not the money you are charging or credential that you have got on offer. So I suggest you start with the free tutoring service to SHOW them what you are capable of.

I think the good starting price would be around $10 if they decide to get tutored by you.

And also, don't really bother putting up yr 9 or yr 10 results as they will be quite irrelevant. Go with the service. Show them what you can do by free turoring for few first classes.

EDIT: BTW, good luck. Your help is really appreciated around the website and hopefully that does some tricks.

xMrRand0m

HSC
kurt.physics said:
Hi Everyone,

How do i start it off?

Any help is appreciated!
You could always start with some younger family members, but seeing as you've got pretty good mathematical skills, you might want to try some distant family members (by that, i mean 2nd cousins, etc. but for free though). Then if you're successful enough, they'll probably spread it around through word of mouth - that's usually how tutors get famous. Following that, you then could start charging people, probably $10 / hour or something; as namu said, and then work your way up from there. Hopefully this helps, I've got a few family friends / friends that tutor and they're around my grade and it actually works.

sirfeathers

HSC
kurt.physics said:
have to say i agree with namu here. i really wouldn't suggest tutoring someone in your own year. firstly, even if you are super fantastic at the subject, having a bit more time to "absorb" the full content is important - especially because you'll find that Yr11 and 12 maths is not always so easy. you want to make sure you're done and dusted with everything yourself before you start tutoring it. secondly, as namu says, it'll be harder to find people who will be tutored by someone their own age. (not that i'm doubting your abilities or anything!! ps you are doing yr11 this year right?)

kurt.physics said:
How do i start it off?

it's a good idea to spend the first session seeing where they're at, even a free one. ie. doing a really quick summary of the course, getting them to talk you through some sample Qs, reading through their past assessments etc. you can use this to decide how to approach the rest of your sessions with them.

in my experience as a maths tutor i've noticed 3 kinds of "tutees":

1. people who are really quite smart and hardworking, and probably only want a tutor because they are perfectionists paranoid about complete course coverage. They probably just need someone to discuss homework problems with. so you should just tell these people to bring their own problems to discuss with you. you might teach them the occasional new "trick". these people might not need regular tutoring, perhaps just casually at important times eg. before exams

2. people who need to revise/ reinforce class content. these people will be reasonably quick on the uptake, and are usually recalling rather than relearning content. for these people, brief explanations+notes will be useful in your sessions. get a set of problems that test different aspects of a topic, try to get them to do some examples and let them talk you through it. these people tend to have more issues with HOW to study rather than WHAT to study.

3. people who are struggling/ don't pay attention in class. these people may have shocking maths teachers, may have little motivation towards their studies or may simply not be very maths-inclined. often they are getting tutored at the insistence of their parents. these are the people whose sessions you will "structure" the most. you may have to write notes for them during your sessions, reteach them content, do examples yourself and then get them to do some with you. giving them a few set Qs for each week will also be helpful.

it's also a good idea to do a quick recap of the last week at the start of each session. i also find that most of my students need a few minutes each session for problems with homework/classwork.

other things:
- don't go any longer than 1hr at a time!!! both you and your student will be bored and exhausted

- prices: should be based on what level maths your tutoring and how "experienced" you are. of course it depends on what people are willing to pay as well. but $10 an hr is way too low! i started out with one yr10 girl when i was in yr12, charged $25/hr. now that i've finished my hsc, got new tutees all in yrs11-12, i'm charging $30/hr. i'd start def at $20/hr at least. that is absolutely slave wages for a tutor you have no idea!

- it's a good idea to invest in some of those "excel" maths books or similar so you have something to work from. textbooks are good too

- finally, remember that the benefit of tutoring is one-on-one learning! so above all else, it's really important that your relationship with your "tutees" is casual and friendly. people work harder for people they like and respect, so this should be top on your list of priorities! although i'm sure you know that already...

if i think of anything else i'll post again.

but anyway, good luck with your tutoring (should you decide to do it)! it's a rewarding job that's fun and reasonably well-paid!

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys for all your help!

I can see your points about being younger than who i'm tutoring, so might revise that.

and to answer sirfeathers question, i am starting year 11 maths this year, although my confidence in considering tutoring year 11s is that i was ment to go into a year 11 class last year but i dont have the best school so they couldnt be bothered to put me in the class so i had to settle between a year 9 class or a year 10 class. So i decided to go into a year 10 class and just did year 11 adv and extension while in the class.

Any way, thanks all everyone!

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
kurt.physics said:
Thanks guys for all your help!

I can see your points about being younger than who i'm tutoring, so might revise that.

and to answer sirfeathers question, i am starting year 11 maths this year, although my confidence in considering tutoring year 11s is that i was ment to go into a year 11 class last year but i dont have the best school so they couldnt be bothered to put me in the class so i had to settle between a year 9 class or a year 10 class. So i decided to go into a year 10 class and just did year 11 adv and extension while in the class.

Any way, thanks all everyone!
also, u might wanna fix your sig up, if ur doin MX1 and MX2, u dont do 2U maths :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)