do graded math classes matter in year 9? (1 Viewer)

ris08

HSC
does it matter or influence anything if you get into a low math class in year 9?
does it harm your ability to perform better?

...xD

HSC
Yes the teachers do go at a slower / more standard pace (so less revision time) but on the plus side:
- Less stress from hw
- you are more confident as your peers probably ain't gonna be people scoring 20% more than you (from personal experience lol)

But at the end of the day, maths is just qs, qs and more qs. If you do harder qs and always ask if you don't understand anything, it shouldn't be a problem

kkk579

hello
HSC
does it matter or influence anything if you get into a low math class in year 9?
r u in a selective school? bcuz selective schools tend to do 5.3 for all their math classes regardless of whether they’re academically graded or not. if not, it doesn’t rlly matter just get tutored or learn the 5.3 content urself using resources if ur planning to do the higher levels of maths in ur senior years. however, if u do well in y9 maybe you’ll move up to a higher class in y10? idk, it depends on ur school

Last edited:

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
I'd say you will be in a somewhat disadvantage. But given you're in yr 9, you have plenty of time to grow and build your foundations for your desired mathematics class. I'd suggest you should also accelerate your pace against other students to at least the pace of the highest band class, this will prevent you from falling behind other students when you do eventually achieve a higher class to learn in. Furthermore, it's good to note that most schools (I'm not sure if this applies to selective schools), will have transfers following semester two.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
it won't put you at a disadvantage at all. i had horrible maths marks in year 9. i gave minimal effort and couldn't care about maths at all. your year 9 grades don't matter (genuinely). in fact, you could even say for some people horrible grades/low maths classes motivates them to do better, because the (maybe) slower pace would give you time to catch and improve, then maybe even study ahead. if you go to a selective school, even better because since the school makes everyone learn 5.3 maths for stage 5, you're not missing out on anything

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Nah. you dk the type of teachers private schools have when it comes to lower classes. Begging for past papers, literally no replies from emails, and those are just the tip of the iceburg.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Key phrase being 'tip of the iceburg'- being that its not just limited to just those factors. Also, I do not attend low grade classes currently, so I'm not experiencing as much issues.

Past papers: ofc Ik where to find past papers, but not everyone will know what thsc is and I can guarantee teachers assigned to the classes don't either (assuming from a time my teacher caught covid- my class was assigned a lower class teacher: The dude didn't even realise that you do probability functions on calculators :hammer:). Obviously, I would use their past papers given its the closest thing to the real exam.

Emails: my b that was probably too generic to place on just private schools- although 20k a yr and people can't even get emails....:mad:

Non-selective schools r out of the question in orange. Rural cities have one thing in common- the gov funded schools are full of drug addicts that have no respect for anyone.

I think lots of people have this misconception in believing that rural areas possess the same type of opportunities as urban citizens. (no hate though its just a clarification) Although content for all hsc subjects is the same. Most rural and regional students get very low educational pressure from parents- which ultimately means not many students who actually want to succeed in school. In my school, there's 4 classes for 5.3, and 2-3 for the other bands (5.2, 5.1)- and I can say with a straight face only about 10-15 students in the top class who actually give a shit about their careers when they get older- while others in the same band sit in the bathrooms vaping lol. But that's the harsh reality of rural residency. Obviously, I'm in a better position than other students in other schools, and I'm truly grateful for that, but its still annoying to know I'm behind in school.

ris08

HSC
why do they even grade classes?
i find that its kind of pointless becuase they change around like every year some from the bottom go to the top and vice versa

ris08

HSC
its just added pressure to spend time studying so much and investing in so much tutouring because you dont want to be in the bottom class

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
i find that its kind of pointless becuase they change around like every year some from the bottom go to the top and vice versa
bc of the situation I explain before relating rural education. Students who want to disrupt the class and ruin other students' education. This may not really apply in a selective school setting though- but in any other school: that's relatively the reason for grading

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
the above reason is not necessarily the case for all schools, usually the reason why they're ranked is because usually the same group of students roughly (not all of them) end up in the higher end of the cohort, and thus the teachers are able to cater for their ability (ie. the smarter students usually learn at a quicker pace, while lower classes go slower and work to improve)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
bc of the situation I explain before relating rural education. Students who want to disrupt the class and ruin other students' education. This may not really apply in a selective school setting though- but in any other school: that's relatively the reason for grading
unrelated but not the signature 💀

ris08

HSC
why would they do it in a selective school though?At least where i go there are people who get higher scores in lower classes than in higher classes(though to be fair the lowest mostly stays there in averages)some peopl in lower classes score higher than in the top class.

ris08

HSC
personally for me its not that i dont understand the content,when it comes to tests either i fail to fully comprehend the question or make silly mistakes under the stress.no matter how much i study this always happens and i dont know how to fix it

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
personally for me its not that i dont understand the content,when it comes to tests either i fail to fully comprehend the question or make silly mistakes under the stress.no matter how much i study this always happens and i dont know how to fix it
Breathing exercises + meditation will help w stress- Ik it sounds dumb; personally I didn't believe in it until i tried it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)