Do I need ext 2 maths for electrical engineering? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Sins

HSC
According to a lot of my mates electrical engineering is really difficult in uni, primarily the maths component. Currently im doing 3u and doing pretty well in it, but im still kinda of worried that i might not be on par with the maths need in electrical engineering. Could anyone clarify this for me?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
According to a lot of my mates electrical engineering is really difficult in uni, primarily the maths component. Currently im doing 3u and doing pretty well in it, but im still kinda of worried that i might not be on par with the maths need in electrical engineering. Could anyone clarify this for me?
I think if you're fine with 3U, you should be able to do 4U. The jump from 3U to 4U is way less than before in the new syllabus and it wasn't as hard as it was before too (check past papers). Its definitely worth doing it as of now and I'm sure you've heard the benefits. The only reason I wouldn't choose to do 4U math is if you want to focus more on other subjects since 4U does take up a significant portion of study or you feel more comfortable doing Advanced and you'd want advanced to go to your ATAR.

My teacher did an eng degree in UNSW and he said most of first term was 4U maths and it was brutal to those who did 4U regardless and I'm sure the forum postsed above reaffirms this idea so given your current circumstances and capabilities (as you say), 4U seems like a no brainer. EE is also notorious for its difficulty so even if you do 4U maths or not, I think you would still undergo quite a challenge.

Johnny Sins

HSC
I think if you're fine with 3U, you should be able to do 4U. The jump from 3U to 4U is way less than before in the new syllabus and it wasn't as hard as it was before too (check past papers). Its definitely worth doing it as of now and I'm sure you've heard the benefits. The only reason I wouldn't choose to do 4U math is if you want to focus more on other subjects since 4U does take up a significant portion of study or you feel more comfortable doing Advanced and you'd want advanced to go to your ATAR.

My teacher did an eng degree in UNSW and he said most of first term was 4U maths and it was brutal to those who did 4U regardless and I'm sure the forum postsed above reaffirms this idea so given your current circumstances and capabilities (as you say), 4U seems like a no brainer.
Thanks for the response but im starting uni in 2022 and missed out on the opportunity to do 4u cause i thought it was too hard. I definetly regret not doing it

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Thanks for the response but im starting uni in 2022 and missed out on the opportunity to do 4u cause i thought it was too hard. I definetly regret not doing it
Oh lol my bad. Its fine because from what I've heard, its brutal for everyone so I wouldn't go in feeling extremely disadvantaged

Last edited:

Momentazeus

HSC
It helps.
He doesn't need more on his plate. A man can only do so much. But yeah, if he chooses to pursue electrical engineering, his 7.5 GPA should provide him with the ability to ace his further studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)