• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do i need textbooks??? (1 Viewer)

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Hey guys, these are the subjects that i'am PLANNING (fingers crossed) to do next sem;

ACST101
ACST211
ECON111
ACCG105
MATH133

Just wondering if i need texbooks for all of them. i know i dont need for maths, but what about the rest of them?

thx.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
oh gosh uve got all eww subjects that involve calculators

i dont use the acst101 textbook much but ive heard if u want a D u have to use the textbook

accg105.. ide be lost without the textbook

prusso

HSC
jake2.0 said:
Hey guys, these are the subjects that i'am PLANNING (fingers crossed) to do next sem;

ACST101
ACST211
ECON111
ACCG105
MATH133

Just wondering if i need texbooks for all of them. i know i dont need for maths, but what about the rest of them?

thx.
ive got acst101, accg105, econ111 for sale

pm me if ur interested

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Of the two I've done...

ACST101 -- I got by without it... (but still have them for sale from back in the day. If they're the same ones you can have them cheap because I wanna get rid of them.)
ACCG105 -- when I did it (....two years ago, now? maybe it was 1... Lecturer was Samantha Sin), there was a workbook ("Solaire") that we needed, and was good to get your head around (it's a practical example where you work through being an accountant for a company). The text itself was useful occaisonally, but not to the extent you NEEDED it. Borrowing it from the reserve, and reading it through once would have been fine... (IF you have a digital camera that helps, too ;))

..that latter point probably applies to 95% of subjects, actually...

prusso

HSC
Skittled said:
Of the two I've done...

ACST101 -- I got by without it... (but still have them for sale from back in the day. If they're the same ones you can have them cheap because I wanna get rid of them.)
ACCG105 -- when I did it (....two years ago, now? maybe it was 1... Lecturer was Samantha Sin), there was a workbook ("Solaire") that we needed, and was good to get your head around (it's a practical example where you work through being an accountant for a company). The text itself was useful occaisonally, but not to the extent you NEEDED it. Borrowing it from the reserve, and reading it through once would have been fine... (IF you have a digital camera that helps, too ;))

..that latter point probably applies to 95% of subjects, actually...
1st time i did acst i didnt use the textbook at all, and i failed, not enough examples and the elements lecture notes didnt cover it well enough, the books are worth it, doing it a 2nd time now with textbooks and drilling it

as for accg105, the new prac book is called ants pants, i suggest buying that, cos u have to do alot of rough work in it, the generic skills book is where they get ur assignments from and tute exercises from...and the textbook is a wealth of knowledge, her lectures suck and u cant understand her accent so the text is a def need :)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
prusso said:
1st time i did acst i didnt use the textbook at all, and i failed, not enough examples and the elements lecture notes didnt cover it well enough, the books are worth it, doing it a 2nd time now with textbooks and drilling it
Good advice actually. Forgot that ACST has elements -- I found the paperwork that the lecturer (forgotten his name, but he's really tall and thin and always wears clashing jumpers and trousers that're too short for him... I've got interesting stereotypes of actuarial people from him ;)) gave for the techniques part were great, if you sat down and went through them thoroughly.

prusso

HSC
mr david westcott

meh the notes sucked, if u really want to learn the information u really have to read bits of the book cos the notes are very simple and concise

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
im gunna go against the mainstream here and say that you don't need the practice book for accg105

Just borrow the book from a friend and photocopy the first few pages ... i never did it.. because well i didn't know how to do it haha oooh and i ended up with a D *yes im bragging! lol i bloody well deserve to for all the effort i put into that pathetic subject, i lived, breathed, drank and ate that subject for a full week before my exams* coz i was so scared of failing.... having said that though... after living breathing it for a week.. i still didn't even know that bank reconciliation existed and in the exam it was worth 15 marks or something... a big fat blank space followed it :p

If its still ANTZ pants.... i wrote some notes on it and posted it on BOS and it was just general knowledge questions that they asked i.e "what was the name of the owner of antz pants or something" so just search it, im sure its still up

prusso

HSC
u wont need it as claire said, its only 10 marks in the final exam - 10 1 word answers

but if u do wanna go well and learn the subject id do it....

hello2004

I went through this last year, so speaking from my own experience:

ACST101 - You do not need the textbook

ACCG105 - You are forced to buy three absolutely useless textbooks:

i. The big fat one: of which this subject covers less than a quarter of. Since you are an actuary, this is a waste of one-hundred dollars but you have to purchase it.

ii. Generic Skills: possibly the worst "textbook" written in the history of the universe. So why do you have to buy it? Because they base two unchallenging and uninteresting assignments on isolated parts of the book. In reality you only use about 8 pages of this trashy excuse for a text.

The reason as to why this book is made compulsory lies in two words appearing on the front cover: "Samantha Sin"

iii. Ants Pants/Shitty accounting prac. book. We all purchased this crap because we were under the impression that it was assessable. There are literally three pages which you need. If I were you I'd rip them out of the text before cautiously exiting the Co-Op bookshop.

(Don't do this by the way)

ECON111 - I didn't purchase the textbook as I'd heard that it was light on relevant detail (unlike ECON110 where all you needed was the textbook). Try to attend the lectures (they are way more interesting than 110 if you have McHarg) and borrow a few references from the library.

MATH133 - I didn't purchase the textbook and I don't know to many people who did. Attendance at lectures is a must though. In a lot of cases, if you miss a few lessons than there is no point in coming back until you have caught up. (Word of warning: this subject is damn important for entry into ACST200 and STAT272. Gaining a PC will make your stay at Mac a bit longer)

ACST211 - Eight-dollar course notes. Good luck in this subject, you'll need it.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Well the book list is finally up on the Co-op site so i checked for all my subjects and here is what i got;

Accg105 - Financial Accounting : An Integrated Approach (Trotman)
Surfari Manual Accounting Practice Set (Grose), edition 3
Generic Skills In Accounting (updated) : Competencies For Students And Graduates (Jones & Sin) edition 1

Acst101 - Maths Of Finance+fin Inst Instruments And Markets (westcott Custom Pub) Package (Knox viney)

Econ111 - Microeconomics - Contemporary Introduction + Study Guide Package (Swan Michael & Mceachern William) edition 2

For math133 and acst211 there are just notes.

Just wondering are these the same books/guides you guys have used in the past? And also what is in the "Study guide package" for Econ111

prusso

HSC
ive got the econ111 package in perfect condition, the study guide has summaries, revision questions and answers, its very good

pm me if u want it

CieL

HSC
I did ACST101 last semester and I purchased the textbook... in reality I only did the exercises on simple interest because I was excited about doing well in uni... and then later I didnt really give a crap about the textbook, just used the materials on webct (weekly tests, solutions, prac exam, exam solutions, etc)... Only time I opened the textbook was to clarify some definitions from the lectures, which you can do with a copy of the book from the library anyway...

Oh.. and when you buy the grey/silver intro to finance book it also comes with a reddish book which is completely useless

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
in short:

ACST101 - no
ACST211 - yes
ECON111 - yes
ACCG105 - yes
MATH133 - calculus: no, algebra: yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)