Do Silver Service Taxis Cost the same?? (1 Viewer)

thumb

34t43
HSC
N/A
I've always wondered. Do Silver Service Taxis cost more than your run of the mill taxis?

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Yup silver taxis and platinum taxis cost more.
The only reason: The Taxi drivers have to pay higher rent for the cabs (being nicer cars in genral) and they have an offical uniform..
most cabs now have the standard Blue taxi shirt- but Silver and Platinum have more crap

thumb

34t43
HSC
N/A
People seem so insistant on catching them though ..

There mustn't be much of a price differential.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I didn't think there was a price different with the silver ones. That's what I got told. I've never caught one though.

Mr_Shrimp

HSC
its definitely not that much.. over short distances anyway..
i payed $12-something for a normal taxi and $14.10 for the same trip in a silver plus another 800m approx..

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I love the way this has been put in the "Travel" section, next to "Snowboarding in Canada?" and "Prague and the Czech Republic?".. ;)

Slightly off topic but i'm going to bitch about it anyway.

Every taxi driver I've ever encountered drives about 40km/h, stops whenever the traffic light is CONSIDERING going orange, and fumbles about trying to find my change for 5 mins in the apparent hope I'll tell them they can keep it. As you get out, they then dawdle off down the street, and as soon as you're gone, you hear the tyres screech as they scream off at 80km/h back to their rank.

I understand they've gotta make money, but I think it's a little exploitative. Out of curiosity, when you see a taxi, note the speed it's going (just roughly above or below the speed limit) and take a look if there's a passenger. Sigh. I hate taxi drivers (I'm generalising from ABC and Silver Service cabs, here, generally from when it's about 11pm in a suburban area, so maybe I'm in for that sorta treatment. Once, ONCE in the city, 9pm, from star city, had a driver who went the speed limit and I nearly died of terror when he went through the orange light. ;))

natstar said:
is the service any better?
A taxi driver's a taxi driver. Nup. Service is just the same. Maybe if you're the classic little old lady, or make a special request... but for just simple trips, I've noticed no difference except the fact they're bigger and quieter cars.

Last edited:

froggy_chik87

HSC
obviously you get very diferent taxi drivers to me...and may i just point out you pay the same amount for a slow taxi as for a fast one...if you watch the money counter thingy it goes faster or slower depending on the speed e.g. km/h

the last taxi i took was driving 15kms over the speed limit and was about an inch away from hitting a innocent pedestrian...has anyone ever asked a taxi to slow down...is it rude to do that...cauz i often worry for my safety...and i don't want them driving that fast!!

to answer your question silver service is marginally more expensive...but nothing to worry about unless its a long distance!!

tractor_chic

HSC
N/A
silver service taxi's only cost more if u specifically book one not if u book a regular taxi and a silver 1 turns up or u flag 1 down on the side of the road.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Skittled said:
I love the way this has been put in the "Travel" section, next to "Snowboarding in Canada?" and "Prague and the Czech Republic?".. ;)

Slightly off topic but i'm going to bitch about it anyway.

Every taxi driver I've ever encountered drives about 40km/h, stops whenever the traffic light is CONSIDERING going orange, and fumbles about trying to find my change for 5 mins in the apparent hope I'll tell them they can keep it. As you get out, they then dawdle off down the street, and as soon as you're gone, you hear the tyres screech as they scream off at 80km/h back to their rank.

I understand they've gotta make money, but I think it's a little exploitative. Out of curiosity, when you see a taxi, note the speed it's going (just roughly above or below the speed limit) and take a look if there's a passenger. Sigh. I hate taxi drivers (I'm generalising from ABC and Silver Service cabs, here, generally from when it's about 11pm in a suburban area, so maybe I'm in for that sorta treatment. Once, ONCE in the city, 9pm, from star city, had a driver who went the speed limit and I nearly died of terror when he went through the orange light. ;))

A taxi driver's a taxi driver. Nup. Service is just the same. Maybe if you're the classic little old lady, or make a special request... but for just simple trips, I've noticed no difference except the fact they're bigger and quieter cars.
all my taxi drivers go at or above the speed limit where they can.

:D

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i think if the taxi is going below 30 or something they charge you for distance AND time. but yeah, i've definitely noticed the slowness thing. i haven't noticed silver taxis being particularly more expensive, maybe a dollar or two.

one time i was in a cab and the driver started talking about how all aussie girls are sluts. :s i was like, ohhhh, you can drop me off here thanks

barnsey88

HSC
Silver service taxis used to cost more but now they cost exactly the same as normal cabs.

As for taxis going slow etc, thats completely wrong. Taxi drivers want to get as many fares as possible. An extra fare is worth more to them than driving below the limit and getting 50 cents extra. In the city most cabbies seem to be going faster rather than slower.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Last time I caught a taxi was last year! Went from UTS to North Ryde and back again. The trip up there was during the afternoon peak and it took twice as long to get there! From memory, it was about $35. The taxi driver was driving as fast as he could, but there was peak hour traffic all the way.

On the way back, the taxi driver was driving well above the speed limit on the Gore Hill Freeway and Harbour Bridge and I got back in half the time that it took to get there. The cost back was like $30. There is a southbound toll on the Harbour Bridge which is $3, and that gets added to your cost as well.

So you can see, there is some slight difference between time and distance, but not all that much.

noftus

HSC
N/A
you fools: silver service cabs cost exactly the same as regular cabs. they are required to by law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)