Do this course if you have computer science related course in uni!!!! (1 Viewer)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
It is really helpful!!!

Almost all courses in uni have some computer science element.

First year courses tend to have crazy fail rates 30%+. However, this is mainly due to the failure the understand simple concepts such as binary numbers and loops/selection.

These concepts are taught in SDD.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Are you sure?

At UNSW we are using Haskell to build up the foundation of how to approach programming. So far there hasn't been any real relation between SDD and Computer Science.

The only thing I can see is the algorithm practice you do in SDD, will be very useful when you do Computer Science.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I too have to doubt the usefulness of SDD in relation to uni courses.

santaslayer

HSC
SDD and IPT is pretty much the content weer're getting for Bussiness information systems subject in my BComm/LLB degree

^___^
HSC
i did IPT and didn't do SDD

atm we are learning C++

i just sit there and daydream..

SDD helps the approach and thinking...but as Ragerunner said, if u didn't learn a partcular, u ain't in such a big advantage

fatmuscle

HSC
If you did IPT and studied on your own and did further study on the 'communications' topic, you'll know stuff about networking

as for SDD, the knowledge of logic gates, algorithms are all useful

Winston

HSC
yes the knowledge is really useful, i mean ok there might not be direct input or use of the actual contents, but because you have such a grounding of software, learning other concepts in comp sci helps out alot better.

yc

I don't think not having done SDD or IPT would of changed anything.

Perhaps developing a strong ability to handle total bullshit content from courses trying to make their useless professions that they wasted their lives on look good.

eg INFS (Database systems) for uni and IPT for highschool

Why do I keep picking them you ask? because it's that or chem or phys, now however I realise I should of picked philosophy :D

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
SDD is real helpful especially if you studied Hardware Option topic...

People are complaining bout Logic Gates, Binary, Hex in my course... Cause i have done it, i find it quite easy

SDD really helped me

acidicFury

It probably depends on your Uni.

I did the Evolution of programming languages, so OOP wasn't a foreign concept with me when we dived into classes and objects with Java at Newcastle. I haven't touched on logic gates or anything yet, so that option topic would have been useless for me.

I also think that picking up the syntax of a language, which was VB in my case alllowed me to pick up the syntax of Java much quicker - admittedly, I dabbled in C++ a little bit and they are both very similar.

Conceptually in first semester there wasn't really too much out of the ordinary based on what I'd covered in SDD. I found writing your own data structures from later (second semester) on a bit of a shock to the system.

Rahul

Dead Member
the c++ programming is definately helping me.

other sdd stuff isnt an extremely big help.
a help nonetheless...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
maybe some parts have helped. but these have been very small and havent given me that much of an advantage. eg, converting hex and binary. thats all i can think of that ive used in computing so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)