• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

do u think voting should be optional (1 Viewer)

Lorie

HSC
Ballina only has like 20000 people, living there. we are like 800km away from sydney. Where abouts r u from thorrnydevil?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
I thought I just covered that, but I'll try again. Basically, if not everyone voted, the only people who DID go to vote would be those who 'read up, were familiar with policies, etc'. The groups of people that these would be most likely to be are not indicative of the wider Australian community. As the entire point of voting is to elect a democratic leader for the (ENTIRE) nation, it seems important, to me at least, that the (ENTIRE) nation play a part in determining the outcome of the vote.

An individual's level of education in relation to government policy doesn't diminish the fact that they have an equal say to others. I think if voting wasn't compulsory, however, these people probably would just stay at home and watch tv, as you put it, meaning that the elected leaders didn't really represent the opinions of the entire nation, and instead represented the opinions of those who had specific interests in politics (Two vastly different groups, I would think).
exactly - compulsory voting forces the government to make policies for the whole of the country (give or take a few minorities like young people =|) rather than just for motivated interest groups who can further their agendas far more easily in an optional voting system. It means that people like tattoodguy sitting on their couches watching tv get looked after as well as people who care greatly - i think that small inconvience far outweighs the eventual result of an optional voting system, which is apathy.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Lorie said:
Ballina only has like 20000 people, living there. we are like 800km away from sydney. Where abouts r u from thorrnydevil?
I thought Ballina was way bigger than that. You have to have 40,000 people in an electorate. I come from Port Macquarie...we have about 60,000 and are 400kms from Sydney. But like I said before, from 30,000 something votes, only 300 odd were informal.

Lorie

HSC
every electorate has around the same population. Ballina used to be in the electorate richmond. But just before the last election it was moved to page. Both are conservative national seats. So i think a change to optional voting was futher enhance the coalitions donimance here.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Lorie said:
every electorate has around the same population. Ballina used to be in the electorate richmond. But just before the last election it was moved to page. Both are conservative national seats. So i think a change to optional voting was futher enhance the coalitions donimance here.
We were a National Blue Ribbon seat, until our MP changed from Nationals to Independent. It worked to...he got re-elected by a huge majority and he's got most of the communities support. Federally we're still National though...and I doubt that will change.

Lorie

HSC
yeah it's a bit weird about that. The nationals don't really represent the farmers anymore. They are just simply a part of John Howards coalition. A fair few Nationals left last election and became independants.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Lorie said:
yeah it's a bit weird about that. The nationals don't really represent the farmers anymore. They are just simply a part of John Howards coalition. A fair few Nationals left last election and became independants.
Yeah...there not. Besides, the new National candidate came from Taree...and nobody liked him...except for the hardline nationals. Everyone else voted for our independent, Rob.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
saladsurgery said:
or the u.s. -- their voting isn't compulsary either!
I know...and look at the dick head they have in power...he's a total dumbass.

omg_a

HSC
wow, i can't believe you call port macquarie a regional area!!! i beat you both, my town has 8000. and we're and extremely safe liberal seat. so in my case, although i am for compulsory voting, my vote for the greens will actually count for nothing.

Lorie

HSC
where abouts do u live?

when your voting for the smaller parties, it's your preferences that count in the end, if it's tight. If you put liberal/national ahead of Labour your vote in the end will you to Howard, and vice versa.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
omg_a said:
wow, i can't believe you call port macquarie a regional area!!! i beat you both, my town has 8000. and we're and extremely safe liberal seat. so in my case, although i am for compulsory voting, my vote for the greens will actually count for nothing.
It so is. When the council wanted us to become a city, the residents complained and we remained a town. Out of the 60,000-80,000 people only about 9,000 are in the youth catergory...were the retirement capital of NSW!!!

K

katie_tully

my town has 300 people, so bite me.

as for this voting thingo, it shouldnt be compulsary... if you dont want to vote, then dont...
HOWEVER
you then have no real right to complain when something political happens that you disagree with.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
mmm...please.

katie_tully said:
as for this voting thingo, it shouldnt be compulsary... if you dont want to vote, then dont...
HOWEVER
you then have no real right to complain when something political happens that you disagree with.
Agree with you there.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
It can't be that much effort to haul your arse to the nearest voting station, fill out a few slips of paper and go on with your day. Jesus.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Loz#1 said:
It can't be that much effort to haul your arse to the nearest voting station, fill out a few slips of paper and go on with your day. Jesus.
You wouldn't think so.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Yeah anyways. It's my first time voting and I seriously don't care about going to the local primary school and voting. It's sorta like "you gotta be in it to win it". If you don't vote, you don't really get a say and then what's the point?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)