Do we need a laptop for classes? (1 Viewer)

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
bikapika said:
good point. im not gona p2p anymore. they dont charge u for using computer laps right? although im afraid that they may ask u to logon with your account everytime (thats how my high school keeps tracking of data usage)
they don't charge you but you have a quota of only 10mb a day...

and you have to log on with your account every time.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
bikapika said:
good point. im not gona p2p anymore. they dont charge u for using computer laps right? although im afraid that they may ask u to logon with your account everytime (thats how my high school keeps tracking of data usage)
they don't charge you but rather cut your internet off when you go over the quota. and yes you do log into the computer.

2.5c per mb? that's $25 per gig... what a freaking rort. if it were me i would choose to get my own ISP if that's possible, and if not i would choose another place to live.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
jas0nt said:
they don't charge you but rather cut your internet off when you go over the quota. and yes you do log into the computer.

2.5c per mb? that's $25 per gig... what a freaking rort. if it were me i would choose to get my own ISP if that's possible, and if not i would choose another place to live.
it used to be much more ($70 a gig at bruce, more at some colleges, less at others).

but yeah, a total ripoff. the students made a big deal about it last year and managed to get it lowered to the set price that it is now but it's still pretty expensive. unfortunately apparently it's not really possible to get your own ISP at the colleges.-

unco_wannabe

HSC
humphdogg said:
it used to be much more ($70 a gig at bruce, more at some colleges, less at others).

but yeah, a total ripoff. the students made a big deal about it last year and managed to get it lowered to the set price that it is now but it's still pretty expensive. unfortunately apparently it's not really possible to get your own ISP at the colleges.-

humph i got 6 words for u

mate off campus HUGE lan cable

HedgeMaster

HSC
bikapika said:
lol i almost forgot true that there are a few days more to go for the macworld conference

the thing is, do they still make announcements about products after the keynote? i thought the rest of the days are for other manufactures to show off supplementary products
Yeh they will b a hell lots more of stuff, and it will get beta, remember jobs will save the best for last!!. Im pretty sure they will b updating all the macbook line, im just thinking they will b jus b moving up a tier in processers and stuff. so the base macbook would get a 2.0 or 2.2. Possibley a ram upgrade wilth all, also im hoping they upgrade the graphics cars on the pros, i want sumthing stronger than a geforce 8600 gt (if possible in a lappy, possibly dual?)...fingers crossed.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
humphdogg said:
that's fucked up.

personally i believe having access to "normal" broadband is a strong factor in deciding my place of residence. if an apartment's rent is $400 per week and could not get broadband and another cost $500, i'd take the latter without thinking for a second.

actually i think i stated that above already, but i just wanted to make my point loud and clear.

anyway, if you're desperate to get your own broadband for a much saner price... Vodafone has 5gb for $40 per month. this is in the form or wireless broadband, so it's not really an ISP thing, and speeds are about 2 megabits.

http://www.vodafonedirectdeals.com.au/Campaign.aspx?cid=34&trackID=VODDR:2128:1342

Last edited:

bikapika

HSC
HedgeMaster said:
Yeh they will b a hell lots more of stuff, and it will get beta, remember jobs will save the best for last!!. Im pretty sure they will b updating all the macbook line, im just thinking they will b jus b moving up a tier in processers and stuff. so the base macbook would get a 2.0 or 2.2. Possibley a ram upgrade wilth all, also im hoping they upgrade the graphics cars on the pros, i want sumthing stronger than a geforce 8600 gt (if possible in a lappy, possibly dual?)...fingers crossed.
i hope they are renewing the design as well although i think everything is already perfect lol thats the problem with perfection. you cant do any more things to satisfy your loyal customers. all they can do now is to make the macbooks/pros thins and lighter with the new samsung 1.8inch hdd (im pretty sure they did show the 160g version at this year's los vagas ces) or change to aluminium casing. lol its apple jobs always surprice the jesus out of us anyway im hoping something better.

i think macbook pro will probably adopt the new intel processors the ones with 45nm architecture. macbook on the other hand may be left alone since theyve just updated it last november.

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
btw it is still a ripoff, but internet prices at most colleges are 2c/mb. i think its higher in unilodge, and burgmann; maybe johns as well

HedgeMaster

HSC
bikapika said:
i hope they are renewing the design as well although i think everything is already perfect lol thats the problem with perfection. you cant do any more things to satisfy your loyal customers. all they can do now is to make the macbooks/pros thins and lighter with the new samsung 1.8inch hdd (im pretty sure they did show the 160g version at this year's los vagas ces) or change to aluminium casing. lol its apple jobs always surprice the jesus out of us anyway im hoping something better.

i think macbook pro will probably adopt the new intel processors the ones with 45nm architecture. macbook on the other hand may be left alone since theyve just updated it last november.
Yeh thats tru, at the mom, they r gettin abit chucky, even tho ther still quite thin and they reli need 2 update from that stupid perspex polymer and have all alumin-casing. Well regarding ther HDD's, in using the 1.8'' is just gunna make them more expensive and more aesteticially better, for practicality reasons its not so gr8. I mean they have too increase the capacity not decrease as more and more of the macbooks r being used for mulitmedia reasons. Honestly im all for like style and a sxc lappy, but the main and prominant reason for y in gettin 1, is ther performance in running high end progs. The macbook pros rivals desktops, they're that good. That tis y im more up for updated specs.

Btw hav u heard ne thing bout wat next gen opitical drve mac is siding with??Hd-dvd or blue-ray (im thinkin most likely as strong ties with samsung), bcause i think ther other next step should b a superdrive that is compatible with both, im pretty sure lg have made a dual-drive which is already on the market, mayb they should side with them for a piece of that.

bikapika

HSC
HedgeMaster said:
Yeh thats tru, at the mom, they r gettin abit chucky, even tho ther still quite thin and they reli need 2 update from that stupid perspex polymer and have all alumin-casing. Well regarding ther HDD's, in using the 1.8'' is just gunna make them more expensive and more aesteticially better, for practicality reasons its not so gr8. I mean they have too increase the capacity not decrease as more and more of the macbooks r being used for mulitmedia reasons. Honestly im all for like style and a sxc lappy, but the main and prominant reason for y in gettin 1, is ther performance in running high end progs. The macbook pros rivals desktops, they're that good. That tis y im more up for updated specs.

Btw hav u heard ne thing bout wat next gen opitical drve mac is siding with??Hd-dvd or blue-ray (im thinkin most likely as strong ties with samsung), bcause i think ther other next step should b a superdrive that is compatible with both, im pretty sure lg have made a dual-drive which is already on the market, mayb they should side with them for a piece of that.
thats true. intel has started shipping penryn processors already and macbook pro is not updated since last june. maybe jobs didnt announce the update in order to focus the media's attention on the macbook air. probably we will see pro's update in a few days.

cool blue-rays optical drives. i hope they can figure out a way to put one of those in macbook pros. actually ive look at the books and pros and to be honest, pros look slimmer than macbooks, even they have bigger screens. they are really top machines.

honestly all i need to do are word processing, internet browsing and using itunes lol macbook is more than sufficient for me.

HedgeMaster

HSC
bikapika said:
thats true. intel has started shipping penryn processors already and macbook pro is not updated since last june. maybe jobs didnt announce the update in order to focus the media's attention on the macbook air. probably we will see pro's update in a few days.

cool blue-rays optical drives. i hope they can figure out a way to put one of those in macbook pros. actually ive look at the books and pros and to be honest, pros look slimmer than macbooks, even they have bigger screens. they are really top machines.

honestly all i need to do are word processing, internet browsing and using itunes lol macbook is more than sufficient for me.
I wish they could like squish the harpertown proc used in the macpros for the macbooks, that would b sweet, lol!!.
Yeh that sounds about right for jobsy, we wil just hav 2 wait and see. I hope they bring back the whole 'ibook' color thing, i reckon that would b awesome, they could have like the same colors as the ipod nanos, seriously i think that could be ther next step, think about it dell has aleady done sumthing like that for their premium lappy range y not apple.

Well for just for word processing...........nah goo the macbook pro, join the club, we can be lanning on high specs with out supreme graphics cards, wen evry else is using ther puny intergrated graphics , lol!!, nah the midrange macbook its reli good, get like the high end white book, and then get a ram/ hard drive upgrade from a 3rd party (much cheaper apple rip u off!), thats wat im doin im gettin an extra 2gb of ram (4gb total), and 250gb hdd for like practically nothing.....tho i do hav my friend from apple doin it.

Evilo

HSC
jas0nt said:
you won't need one, trust me.
correction

you won't need one for uni
you might want one for movies at your hall/college

Evilo

HSC
unco_wannabe said:
for the love of god plz...ur uni students...dont get a mac.
I second this statement

HedgeMaster said:
Btw u can run xp and vista on macs, so u can run dual os's if u want .
yeah but you buy a mac because of the os - otherwise there is no point. Might aswell buy a pc.

bikapika said:
good point. im not gona p2p anymore.
I did it at johns to avoid paying for internet. They tracked us down (pretty easy when large amounts of data were being forced through one small server), and got our names and room numbers. Didn't really get in trouble but we got a fat lecture from the head of college about it.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
khing said:
btw it is still a ripoff, but internet prices at most colleges are 2c/mb. i think its higher in unilodge, and burgmann; maybe johns as well
khing! you're alive. forgot you posted on here.

Evilo

HSC
khing said:
I'm pretty sure johns is 2 or 2.5cm/mb this year - remember we have *always* had the lowest internet when compared to every other college on campus.

HedgeMaster

HSC
Evilo said:
I'm pretty sure johns is 2 or 2.5cm/mb this year - remember we have *always* had the lowest internet when compared to every other college on campus.
Dam it! i completly 4got bout downloading fees, im soo use 2 downloadin a shite load, is ther ne way of scamming the system?, if not wat r the fees like on campus, how does b and g/ bruce fare out?

Evilo

HSC
b&G is either 2 or 2.5c/mb this year (i was down there on wed and asked)

Scamming the system - read my quote about 4 messages above about this.

Fees are ok, its better this year - its just hard to beat. Wireless internet is far too expensive, so this is cheaper. Also the speed is very fast - so thats why you pay a bit more (they are charging for infrastructure and server maintenance).

Your downloads are less because of file sharing. If you need to know more about that pm me.

Krieg

HSC
You don't need a laptop for class. Macbook Pro's were like the best value laptop you could buy in Aus earlier this year, not sure if that's changed.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
Didn't really get in trouble but we got a fat lecture from the head of college about it.
lol

dc++ is bad mmmkay.... piracy is bad mmmkay...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)