Do we need to know about qualitative data (1 Viewer)

har

HSC
I don't get it, in my trial I my teacher put in

The Bobs Restaurant Guide awards hats to restaurants to indicate their quality. The more hats, the better the restaurant. This data would be called:
A) Quantitative and discrete
B) Quantitative and continuous
C) Qualitative and unordered
D) Qualitative and ordered

and the answers was D

But in my book it says nothing about qualitative data it only specifies the types of data to be:

Categorical: represented by categories, usually in words or symbols e.g people birthplaces

Quantitative: represented by numbers. 2 types:
1. Discrete: can be counted and are distinct such as the number of computers in the school ( can only be whole numbers like 1,2,3)
2. Continuous: measured on a smooth scale, such as the weight of footballers (can be numbers like 84.54 etc)

Is my book wrong or my teacher wrong?

Last edited:

har

HSC
Yah, but do I need to know qualitative data stuff? or is my teacher wrong. Cause im pretty certain that was frm year 11 textbook

Roy216

HSC

The Bobs Restaurant Guide awards hats to restaurants to indicate their quality. The more hats, the better the restaurant. This data would be called:

and the answers was D

But in my book it says nothing about qualitative data it only specifies the types of data to be:

Categorical: represented by categories, usually in words or symbols e.g people birthplaces

1. Discrete: can be counted and are distinct such as the number of computers in the school ( can only be whole numbers like 1,2,3)
2. Continuous: measured on a smooth scale, such as the weight of footballers (can be numbers like 84.54 etc)

Thats all right

Roy216

HSC
yeah i guess it wouldn't hurt to know, just look it up

Roy216

HSC
Looking at mathsonline, it does come under the yr 11 general math syllabus so it may be in your exam

Kat92

HSC

and the answers was D

What you have said is fine! :) Although, I do remember there were a few questions like that in my textbook. It is not that confusing once you learn the definitions, so you should be fine.

Yes, your teacher is correct on D as the restaurants do not have data that needs to be measured in numbers so hence it is "qualitative" (it is opinion based and personal responses from the customers). From there you need to decide whether the data is being ordered or not-- since the restaurants are being rated upon an indication of quality the data is "ordered".

An easy way of looking at it-
Qualitative- Quality (words and feelings-- can often yield written responses)
Quantitative- Quantity (numbers)

Last edited:

har

HSC
Yes but my book does not say anything about qualitative data. It states that the only two types of data are: quantitative and categorical.

wavess

HSC
If it was qualitative data, wouldn't it be regarded also as the 'mode' of the data... if anyone gets me?
Besides that, it's better to be safe than sorry

Kat92

HSC
Yes but my book does not say anything about qualitative data. It states that the only two types of data are: quantitative and categorical.
It sounds like the textbook I had.. no mention of anything except for quantitative and categorical (but a few other questions thrown in for good measure just to be annoying!)

You should be fine with it though- and its probably best to have some understanding just in case it does come up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)