Do You Like English? (2 Viewers)

DO YOU LIKE ENGLISH?

• Total voters

ellen.louise

HSC
I love english. It's one of my favourite lessons. So is extension, but only because my class is so much fun (and my teacher has a ferret laugh.... too cute)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
aiz said:
english is pretty useless no matter how you look at it. bos should concentrate on helping students improve on their grammar, spelling, etc and not simply force them to learn about shit like shakespeare, film techniques, visual techniques, blah blah blah.
spot on.

aiz

HSC
N/A
m0ofin said:
Would you want to be working on your grammar when you're in year 12? I figured that that was what year 4 was for.

Worksheets on whether/weather the word they're/their/there fit into a sentence during the entire HSC year is much worse than what we do currently.
oh you should come visit my school some time.. you'd be surprised. :eek:

Zephyrio

HSC
I love English.

Planning to study English at Uni.

LOL at the reaction you guys will have after hearing that.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Zephyrio said:
I love English.

Planning to study English at Uni.

.. .. O_O" OH YOUR SO DEADDDDD !

naw .. i dislike english .. have a mad teacher but it's just the work .. maths ftw !

Zephyrio

HSC
Well I mean, I really like English and maths, but for different reasons.

I like English because it gives me a chance to be articulate in my answers and I've been quite astounded by how I can at least get the message a lot of obscure, vague modern poems by looking at some of the techniques and stuff. LOL I'm so weird. If you argue well then you'd do well in English.

I like maths because I'm Asian. Nuff said. LOL - no, but I like maths because I have a good teacher and no bias comes into it at all - i.e. if you've got a right answer, then you're right, matey.

But then if you HATE subjects, then aren't you setting yourself up for a mark that isn't on par with your potential? I mean it's a pretty negative attitude to have.

cs01001

HSC
English... I wouldn't say I love it, but I would pick something else like IPT over it

I have never had an good teachers for English throughout high school :( the memorizing, quoting is sometimes over the top. Though I still wanna do well in it

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Well I mean, I really like English and maths, but for different reasons.

I like English because it gives me a chance to be articulate in my answers and I've been quite astounded by how I can at least get the message a lot of obscure, vague modern poems by looking at some of the techniques and stuff. LOL I'm so weird. If you argue well then you'd do well in English.

I like maths because I'm Asian. Nuff said. LOL - no, but I like maths because I have a good teacher and no bias comes into it at all - i.e. if you've got a right answer, then you're right, matey.

But then if you HATE subjects, then aren't you setting yourself up for a mark that isn't on par with your potential? I mean it's a pretty negative attitude to have.
I'm currently enjoying English over Maths at the moment. Probabaly because we're pretty far behind in Maths :(

S.Yong

HSC
I prefer english extension over advanced, but i'm dropping it in year twelve. I don't think i'd do well enough to get the marks i want. But i can always learn to like english advanced =)

ccc123

HSC
Tiffanys said:
I like English but given choice of doing it or not, I'd pick something else over it.
Hmm yeah me too. I mean, my motivation for English fluctuates a lot. Some day I'm like "I love Eng!!!" and other days I wish I could drop it.

Generally I like it (only because I get good marks), but I think there should be less emphasis on analysing texts and more emphasis on gerneral communication skills. Oh and I don't think we should have to study techniques because they are an absolute waste of my life. Furthermore, It really irritates me that when I'm writing essay I have to interpose some pointless literary technique when I'm like halfway through an idea.

Oh and I think they can scrap Shakespeare (all you Shakepeare lovers please don't shut me down) because I find it ironic although his plays were actually intended for proletariat entertainment, we now have to sit down and treat them as through they have deep subliminal meaning. For me, analysing Shakespeare now is like equivelent to poor sods in 1000 yrs times attempting to extract something deep from Neighbours.

patty4848

HSC
I reckon english is fantastic, but that's probably because i get good marks in english sorta subjects. I do feel sorry for all of those science/maths people that are forced to do english.

HSC
N/A
Re: Surely not do you like English?

PrettyVacant said:
i h8 engliish coz im a fob-lah.

omg keke.
. (I do not know what it truly means, the "single-dot post", but I'm sure it's something like "I agree.")

I used to enjoy/like/whatever the subject English.
Zephyrio said:
Good for you, buddy! From pals that do coaching, I hear that one cannot lead a meaningful life without philosophy, literature, and language - namely English.

Last edited:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Lucid, use the dot when you find a post (usually on another page) that you agree with so strongly you think it should be repeated. the dot is just so there's actual content in your post apart from the quote itself, cause otherwise it wont be submitted ^____^

HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
Lucid, use the dot when you find a post (usually on another page) that you agree with so strongly you think it should be repeated. the dot is just so there's actual content in your post apart from the quote itself, cause otherwise it wont be submitted ^____^
Posting to express my utmost gratitude, thanks.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
I suppose I like English. I find our teacher amusing and the work isn't hard because you can just make anything up. Our teacher is really enthusiastic about English and really tries to get us to be as well. Shes not strict or mean and marks pretty well so that is good. Extension is better than advanced I think because it is a lot smaller and we have more discussions and more in depth topics. Sooo in conclusion, yes I like english.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I don't like Advanced English one bit. It feels more like an english subject designed so that you just have to memorise a bunch of language features to get full marks. There's no skill involved, its just memorise what the teacher tells you, and if you write a heap of bullshit but include a bunch of language features, you get full marks. Its boring in every sense of the word.

English Extension is different. I find English Extension to be great, probably because it requires a different approach and encourages you to think more regarding the texts, as opposed to simply writing down a few language features and their examples.

Remarkably, i'm doing better in English Ext. than in English Advanced.

cfair

Banned
HSC
S1M0 said:
I don't like Advanced English one bit. It feels more like an english subject designed so that you just have to memorise a bunch of language features to get full marks. There's no skill involved, its just memorise what the teacher tells you, and if you write a heap of bullshit but include a bunch of language features, you get full marks. Its boring in every sense of the word.
Agreed, thankfully my teacher spoon feeds us so that makes it a bit more bearable.
Even though I am ranked 1st I hate every text we do and I'm guilty of sleeping during the Othello, Great Gatsby and Talented Mr. Ripley films. I am only doing it because standard is even worse, at my school anyway.

ps: Who else has had to watch the othello movie where a white guy plays othello? It seems like they threw a bucket of shoe polish on him to make him black, so weird looking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)