Do you like english (1 Viewer)

DO YOU LIKE ENGLISH (THE SUBJECT)

• Total voters

bubblesss

HSC
i dont like english tat much but i do particularly good at it!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :)
but i do love shakespeare and all those critical readings.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
5233andy said:
Well perhaps there is a struggle for the need of both English and Maths. Yes, I admit to the fact that all lives will involve an element of Maths, but at the same time, English or language, rather, allows one to develop opinions about whatever it may be. One thing about the English department is that it values your opinion(s). If you're able to sustain your opinion in an essay, coupled with the obvious, techniques, you will succeed. I do agree, however, the fact that Maths builds logic and the same with problem solving skills, but it's so objective - i.e. cold - there's only right and wrong.
Isn't that a good thing?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Isn't that a good thing?
hahaha, depends on who you are.

If you are a type of person who wants to bullshit (Excuse my choice of vocabulary) your way, english can be better in that sense.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
hahaha, depends on who you are.

If you are a type of person who wants to bullshit (Excuse my choice of vocabulary) your way, english can be better in that sense.
LOL yeah - but generally bullshitting can be risky because if the marker doesn't like your opinions they can mark you down - which in essence is the nature of english. All other subjects have only one answer - therefore the teacher cannot mark you down if you have the correct answer.

Therefore english is good if you want to 'wing it', not study and hope for the best.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
black_kat_meow said:
Then why are all you people whinging about it not getting top marks, lol?
He was just suggesting a hypothetical situation where you can still get a good mark even if you don't study...

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
He was just suggesting a hypothetical situation where you can still get a good mark even if you don't study...
Exactly,

It's easier to do BETTER in English (without studying) than it is in Mathematics. However - if you don't study in English - chances are you won't do too well anyway.

bored of sc

HSC
English is *bad* because it's so heavily dependent on skills. I will always have a band 5 skill level :eek: no matter how hard I try.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
English is *bad* because it's so heavily dependent on skills. I will always have a band 5 skill level :eek: no matter how hard I try.
You can always develop the skills to the next level.

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
You can always develop the skills to the next level.
I disagree. For short answer particularly I can't see myself getting above 13/15 since I just don't have that band 6 analytical ability. For creative writing I have trouble with word choice and expression. And essays are too hard to continually go well at since the questions are too dynamic in nature - way too much variety.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
I call bullshit. Of the people I know here at BoS, you are probably one of best 5 in English. :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
I call bullshit. Of the people I know here at BoS, you are probably one of best 5 in English. :p
You are underestimating the quality of people on BoS for English, my friend.

Or may be that's due to the lack of opportunities for people to express their English skills in the forum.

We are merely a "frog in a pond".

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
bored of sc said:
I disagree. For short answer particularly I can't see myself getting above 13/15 since I just don't have that band 6 analytical ability. For creative writing I have trouble with word choice and expression. And essays are too hard to continually go well at since the questions are too dynamic in nature - way too much variety.
It's all about practice makes perfect. The more articles/stories/prose/whatever you analyse, the better you will be able to. You will have a better understanding of literary techniques and where they are used, and it's also easier for you to just spew random bullshit if you're stuck.

Again, if you read more and read good writing, you'll have a better grasp on word choice and expression.

Essay writing is also easy to develop, it's mostly about adapting prepared ideas or essays to the question at hand. You can also practice that.

Unlike Maths, English takes a while for you to see results. It's all about the long-term effects.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
I'm not quite sure I get that phrase. :p
I got it from the Chinese proverb website.

It basically means "fish in a creek or river or whatever - that is smaller than ocean"

Finx

HSC
5233andy said:
Well look at that, you just expressed your opinion - hence there was an involvement with English. Enough said.
Sigh, you're trying to contradict me in an impossible trap.

It wouldn't be fair if one day, you went to the store and figured that two lollipops, at 50c each, would cost you a dollar. It'd be stupid to say "LOL YOU JUST USED MATHS WHICH IS WHY ITS REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT DERRR".

Unfortunately, in my case, I can only try and argue in the english language itself. If I could argue mathematically, then:
1) I would laugh. That would be so awesome and geeky.
2) I'd do it to avoid contradicting myself by trying to prove my point in this thread.

Don't get me wrong. Arguing articulately, figuretavely and creatively is quite fun in my opinion, but expressing your ideas in a set format and having your opinions judged by 30yo markers is pretty fucking bullshit.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Finx said:
Sigh, you're trying to contradict me in an impossible trap.

It wouldn't be fair if one day, you went to the store and figured that two lollipops, at 50c each, would cost you a dollar. It'd be stupid to say "LOL YOU JUST USED MATHS WHICH IS WHY ITS REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT DERRR".

Unfortunately, in my case, I can only try and argue in the english language itself. If I could argue mathematically, then:
1) I would laugh. That would be so awesome and geeky.
2) I'd do it to avoid contradicting myself by trying to prove my point in this thread.

Don't get me wrong. Arguing articulately, figuretavely and creatively is quite fun in my opinion, but expressing your ideas in a set format and having your opinions judged by 30yo markers is pretty fucking bullshit.
I totally agree with this post. The skills you use in English in everyday life ARE NOT taught or tested in the Senior HSC English Course - they are skills which are taught in JUNIOR ENGLISH. I think I can be successful in life without learning romantic poetry, analysing films or reading shakespeare - I mean I have not learnt one skill in English which would be useful to me in future life.

Also, I agree that you cannot argue mathematically, because maths is based on logic and facts - so there is no need to argue. Unlike English, there is ONE correct answer that everybody agrees with - not like English where there are millions of idiots - all wanting to express their stupid opinions which nobody really agrees with besides themselves. Also the skills you use in arguing in real life are not taught in Senior English... in a real life argument, you don't have to search quotes and analyse techniques... you just use words.

"Arguing articulately, figuretavely and creatively is quite fun in my opinion" ... you cannot really do that with the restrictions and 'rules' which they give you in the HSC and also how can you be judged fairly if they mark you based on a stupid criteria.

Normally I don't write posts like this... but I thought I'd express my opinions for once on the stupid subject which is English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)