• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you need an atar if you are becoming an actor? (2 Viewers)

Domsky

HSC
Just curious this is my last option as a carrer after year 12 since i want to be a lawyer or a teacher(secondary) but if i dont become either one of these...i was thinking Hollywood or something like becoming an actor....just wondering to i need to study anything for it or get a good atar?
Anyone knows?
thnks

S

scottpkid1

I'm an aspiring actor,
And what I've looked into you don't need an atar or uni degree, it's based on if you've got the talent. Going through various auditions and stepping yourself up each time.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It depends on what you want to do. For the acting schools, they're primarily based on auditions. The universities that offer performance course base it on both ATAR and your audition. While you can get in with a bad ATAR, having something decent (like 75) will give you a much better chance of getting in.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Also, keep in mind that if you want to act, it's a full time commitment. Regular training, constant auditions and a lot of hard work. While some people get lucky and fall into the industry, they make up the absolute minority.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, keep in mind that if you want to act, it's a full time commitment. Regular training, constant auditions and a lot of hard work. While some people get lucky and fall into the industry, they make up the absolute minority.
This.

Also with acting in Hollywood, I don't think there's any I situation that can actually 'teach' you acting. It's something which comes naturally (imo) and most of the guys that actually make it big, they don't go to film schools to 'learn" acting. Sure it'll be good to enhance someones talent or bring it out if they actually have it in them, but if you don't, then not much can be done.

And the answer to the question, no, you don't need an atar to become an actor, you need talent/luck.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
This.

Also with acting in Hollywood, I don't think there's any I situation that can actually 'teach' you acting. It's something which comes naturally (imo) and most of the guys that actually make it big, they don't go to film schools to 'learn" acting. Sure it'll be good to enhance someones talent or bring it out if they actually have it in them, but if you don't, then not much can be done.

And the answer to the question, no, you don't need an atar to become an actor, you need talent/luck.
You can teach acting, it's just different to something like Math or Science. I think aptitude plays a much larger role, which is something you did mention. And natural talent really does serve you well as a starting position

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You can teach acting, it's just different to something like Math or Science. I think aptitude plays a much larger role, which is something you did mention. And natural talent really does serve you well as a starting position
Yes, fair enough, they can teach it to you, but in the end it's up to you how you use what they've taught you, which is what I was getting it. They'll teach 30 students the same thing, some will pull it off better than others, like the expression, dialogue delivery, etc, even when everyone is taught the same thing. Basically that aptitude is the manor player, that's pretty much what I meant.

Also I meant Institution* up there, bad bad typo (damn autocorrect)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I think you should actually aim to get into Tisch School of the Arts (apart of New York University). It's a highly selective department but if you're really serious about acting then you may want to apply - I'm pretty sure you still have to get an amazing ATAR & do the SAT's (kind of America's equivalent to the HSC).
It's really expensive though, and you'll have to live in NYC if you get in- you can apply for loans and stuff though.
However, it's apparently really rewarding & there are HEAPS of famous actors who graduated from there. One of my cousins from Oklahoma got accepted into their drama undergraduate degree :)

jnney

lemon
HSC
I'm an aspiring actor,
And what I've looked into you don't need an atar or uni degree, it's based on if you've got the talent. Going through various auditions and stepping yourself up each time.
Not only talent, but I think the majority would be a combination of looks and connections.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Not only talent, but I think the majority would be a combination of looks and connections.
This too. It is immensely difficult to become successful in the entertainment industry as an actor without any connects and even with connections, it could be difficult.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think you should actually aim to get into Tisch School of the Arts (apart of New York University). It's a highly selective department but if you're really serious about acting then you may want to apply - I'm pretty sure you still have to get an amazing ATAR & do the SAT's (kind of America's equivalent to the HSC).
It's really expensive though, and you'll have to live in NYC if you get in- you can apply for loans and stuff though.
However, it's apparently really rewarding & there are HEAPS of famous actors who graduated from there. One of my cousins from Oklahoma got accepted into their drama undergraduate degree :)
The possibility of going from HSC to Tisch is astronomically small, if not impossible. Hell, even NIDA don't like taking people straight out of high school.

theycallmebob

HSC
Just curious this is my last option as a carrer after year 12 since i want to be a lawyer or a teacher(secondary) but if i dont become either one of these...i was thinking Hollywood or something like becoming an actor....just wondering to i need to study anything for it or get a good atar?
Anyone knows?
thnks
lol as in like your backup plan? you don't just get into hollywood. you need connections, experience, money etc.

in answer to your question, I don't think you need an ATAR (or at least one that would be a problem for anyone) you would just need to attend an acting school and work your way up in the field.

Last edited:

jnney

lemon
HSC
In my opinion, if this 'plan' is just a back up and not something that you really want to dedicate yourself to, then you should probably go fishing for food somewhere else. Do a little research first, or ask people around you who have experience. It's not going to be what you expect.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Just some stats for you:

The unemployment rate for male actors (working in the industry) is 98%

The unemployment rate for female actors (working in the industry) is 99%

That's not just for those making thousands and millions in movie deals, that's everyone.

ncoul

HSC
Anyone knows?
thnks
Cynicism has reached new levels in this thread, i'll just add my opinion. You're sounding like my friend, watched too many movies and feels that anyone has the ability to be a part of such a, let me stress, exclusive profession. Those who 'make it' not only have extreme aptitude and vocation, but are amazingly lucky. In your signature it says that you don't even do drama, do you have any experience in such a profession? I've acted in commercials and productions, I've had experience being an extra and performed in roles and I'm relinquishing the subject next year as there is no career prospects (and the horrible scaling). Now that I've had my ostentatious rant, let me just say, do yourself a favour and work towards a good atar and university course. I'm not bashing you at all, rather the unrealistic nature of the profession.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)