• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you need an atar if you are becoming an actor? (3 Viewers)

Domsky

HSC
Cynicism has reached new levels in this thread, i'll just add my opinion. You're sounding like my friend, watched too many movies and feels that anyone has the ability to be a part of such a, let me stress, exclusive profession. Those who 'make it' not only have extreme aptitude and vocation, but are amazingly lucky. In your signature it says that you don't even do drama, do you have any experience in such a profession? I've acted in commercials and productions, I've had experience being an extra and performed in roles and I'm relinquishing the subject next year as there is no career prospects (and the horrible scaling). Now that I've had my ostentatious rant, let me just say, do yourself a favour and work towards a good atar and university course. I'm not bashing you at all, rather the unrealistic nature of the profession.

:)
LOL...all good, i've been in many stage plays and other musical plays so I have the courage to perform and yeah. But I didn't put drama as a subject because I thought since i have experience on a few stage plays and musicals I didn't know that i have to mention it....anyway my bad for not letting you guys know i have some experience in acting... but yeah like what i said its another option, i dont mind not getting into the BIG shows but maybe i should work my way from the bottom meaning start in more plays or musicals, just like Rowan Atkinson(aka Mr Bean) or something like that....What do you guys think?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
LOL...all good, i've been in many stage plays and other musical plays so I have the courage to perform and yeah. But I didn't put drama as a subject because I thought since i have experience on a few stage plays and musicals I didn't know that i have to mention it....anyway my bad for not letting you guys know i have some experience in acting... but yeah like what i said its another option, i dont mind not getting into the BIG shows but maybe i should work my way from the bottom meaning start in more plays or musicals, just like Rowan Atkinson(aka Mr Bean) or something like that....What do you guys think?
Film and Theatre are completely different industries, that use very different acting techniques.

Essentially, unless your picked out of the blue for a major film (re: extremely lucky &/or supermodel looks), you'll have to start from the bottom. I think before you attempt anything you should research into the different areas of performance. Musicals require a different skill set to plays, Ads use different focuses to film. Work out what you're best at to give you at least a starting point.

If you want advice, then I say don't go into this industry expecting to make money. There's a 99.5% (actual figure) that you won't get anywhere.

Domsky

HSC
Film and Theatre are completely different industries, that use very different acting techniques.

Essentially, unless your picked out of the blue for a major film (re: extremely lucky &/or supermodel looks), you'll have to start from the bottom. I think before you attempt anything you should research into the different areas of performance. Musicals require a different skill set to plays, Ads use different focuses to film. Work out what you're best at to give you at least a starting point.

If you want advice, then I say don't go into this industry expecting to make money. There's a 99.5% (actual figure) that you won't get anywhere.
True, ok what about if you have many connections and other resources, do i have a chance then? thnx btw

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
True, ok what about if you have many connections and other resources, do i have a chance then? thnx btw
It's impossible to say without knowing the extent of those resources. I may personally know Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman and Toni Collette (examples) but that doesn't mean it's going to further my career.

I'd say that if you really had the connections and the resources already, you wouldn't be asking; and if you don't, then you don't realise how difficult it is to get the right connections.

jnney

lemon
HSC
That's not really a question we can give you an answer to, go for it yourself and see where it gets you.

epicFAILx

HSC
I'm an aspiring actor,
And what I've looked into you don't need an atar or uni degree, it's based on if you've got the talent. Going through various auditions and stepping yourself up each time.
^that is 100% true
I am also an aspiring actor. I mean you can take drama classes during school.. but it all comes down to talent. motivation. determination. and LOTS of auditions.
:)

MrOrange

HSC
I was considering doing a bachelor of dramatic art (production) but I am concerned about how competitive it is and whether or not a degree is beneficial before applying. Would anyone be able to shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)