Do you study on the weekends? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Do you just take a break or continue studying? If you study, do you study more than you do compared to weekdays? As in you study 4 hours weekdays and on weekends you study maybe 6-7?

mreditor16

HSC
Do you just take a break or continue studying? If you study, do you study more than you do compared to weekdays? As in you study 4 hours weekdays and on weekends you study maybe 6-7?
Tbh its Year 12. You don't have the time to be taking the weekend off. Of course, there must be some aspect of relaxing and unwinding, to help you launch into another week of school. But still you need to be studying. Yes, since you have more hours on weekends, you should be working more on weekends than on weekends. Your suggestion of hours sounds perfect. You still have time on the weekend to do some sport, catch up on TV shows etc. (Y)

photastic

HSC
Tbh, on Saturdays I only did proper study for 2-3 hrs and procrastinated for the other 12 hours.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You should be studying on the weekends if you are in year 12.

duhdevitt

HSC
Friday: Finish all homework
Saturday: Study weak subjects (for me; English and Bio, and understand as much as I can), if im bored I'll go ahead with some dot points
Sunday: I do most of my bulk study then, so I'll do HSC questions, exam questions, fixing essays,creatives etc.

atar goal:91 but will be happy with 85+

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Yes, I do study during the weekends- I don't time myself tho. I try to absorb as much as I can.
I do not study on Fridays, unless editing my EX2 major work counts. I really don't find it as work LOL But aside from that, maybe the weekends, I spend most of the time studying haha

mreditor16

HSC
HPF, completely agree with where you're coming from, especially how your approach should be about completing tasks you have set rather than sitting on your study desk for a certain number of hours. Efficiency and productivity is key.

But imo, even a student has a lower ATAR goal, they shouldn't be relaxing the whole weekend. It just fosters a mindset, where weekend = no work. And when it gets close to exam periods, when workload gets high and things get quite crammed in, at times it can be quite hard then to force yourself to do some study/work during a time, which you have over time made your mind and body associate with no school work.

For example, during Year 11 and the early parts of Year 12, I would always take Fridays off (which is sometimes I actually recommend to students, as it helps you unwind from the school week and refresh you enough to help you launch into a weekend of some study). When it got close to HYs and things got quite insane, I really struggled to force myself into studying on Fridays.

Its all about cultivating habits. I am not certainly advocating going hard core. But doing some study/work on the weekends is for the best imo, as you're getting work done and telling your mind that "Yes, some of the weekend does need to be used for study". And, also, the more work you finish now, the less you have to do later and the less regrets you will have.

At the end of the day, it is up to the student, but these are my strong opinions...

DLMisme

HSC
I study more on weekends. It seems to be better for me since I prefer to be able to sit for plenty of time and get completely absorbed in the work.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I just want to also ask a quick question, does anyone have their own study timetable? Or you just study according to how you feel that day? I feel like if I study according to how I feel that day I tend to procrastinate, and I think that solution to that is a study timetable. But I just wanna know how does everyone else go with having a study timetable.

klee98

HSC
I just want to also ask a quick question, does anyone have their own study timetable? Or you just study according to how you feel that day? I feel like if I study according to how I feel that day I tend to procrastinate, and I think that solution to that is a study timetable. But I just wanna know how does everyone else go with having a study timetable.
Done that, and trust me when i say that no matter how fancy the timetable is going to get, without strict discipline, it's never going to work.
It's better to make up a check list and set up a due date for each designated task.

mreditor16

HSC
It's all about quality not quantity. Efficiency not number of hours. From my experiences, study timetables give you less flexibility and may influence you to gauge your study by the number of hours you are in front of the table on your chair instead of how many tasks/things you completed.

So, I suggest making a massive to-do list, which you're always adding tasks to. Try splitting it into short-term (e.g completing a prac report set for handing in the day after) and long-term (making notes for a particular section). And then go from there. Say one night, you're bit tired and are in the mood for maths. Then you might want to target the maths items on your list that night. So, you avoid procrastination on the day when you want "to study how I feel that day". Always remember though to keep in mind the deadlines and by when you should be finishing certain tasks to keep things going along smoothly and be prepared for exams etc.

And before you start a day's / weekend's work, you can make your study timetable for that weekend. Put the available timeslots, take a look at your to-do list, and decide what you're gonna get done today/ this weekend, and make realistic time estimates for each task. And make your timetable. If you find yourself not finishing in time, then investigate - is it you not being as efficient as you can be or is it you making unreasonable time estimates? If you find yourself finishing real early, then consider making your time estimates smaller. Keep re-evaluating - its an ongoing process.

Good luck!

Btw these are my opinions and what worked for me. Always keep in mind your study style and works for you! Always a disclaimer with any advice you get on BOS!

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
It's all about quality not quantity. Efficiency not number of hours. From my experiences, study timetables give you less flexibility and may influence you to gauge your study by the number of hours you are in front of the table on your chair instead of how many tasks/things you completed.

So, I suggest making a massive to-do list, which you're always adding tasks to. Try splitting it into short-term (e.g completing a prac report set for handing in the day after) and long-term (making notes for a particular section). And then go from there. Say one night, you're bit tired and are in the mood for maths. Then you might want to target the maths items on your list that night. So, you avoid procrastination on the day when you want "to study how I feel that day". Always remember though to keep in mind the deadlines and by when you should be finishing certain tasks to keep things going along smoothly and be prepared for exams etc.

And before you start a day's / weekend's work, you can make your study timetable for that weekend. Put the available timeslots, take a look at your to-do list, and decide what you're gonna get done today/ this weekend, and make realistic time estimates for each task. And make your timetable. If you find yourself not finishing in time, then investigate - is it you not being as efficient as you can be or is it you making unreasonable time estimates? If you find yourself finishing real early, then consider making your time estimates smaller. Keep re-evaluating - its an ongoing process.

Good luck!

Btw these are my opinions and what worked for me. Always keep in mind your study style and works for you! Always a disclaimer with any advice you get on BOS!
So everyday I create a to-do list? What you do mean by always adding tasks? So let's say on Monday I have 5 tasks to do, later on do I add more? Do I put a time limit on each task I do? Can you write an example of a to-dot list just so I can bet a better understanding? Thanks.

mreditor16

HSC
So everyday I create a to-do list? What you do mean by always adding tasks? So let's say on Monday I have 5 tasks to do, later on do I add more? Do I put a time limit on each task I do? Can you write an example of a to-dot list just so I can bet a better understanding? Thanks.

So everyday I create a to-do list?

Nope, you have one massive to-do list, with two sections - short-term (things you have get to done ASAP or that are due very soon) and long-term (things that you have to do over time or that are due at least a few weeks away).

What you do mean by always adding tasks? So let's say on Monday I have 5 tasks to do, later on do I add more?

Whenever you get HW or get an assessment task, you add it onto your list! So ,yes you are always adding more.

Do I put a time limit on each task I do?

Yes, that is critical!! Also, make sure to be flexible - if something pops up unsurprisingly or there is some shift in plans, be ready to change the deadlines you set. As a result of unpredictability (of life, I guess HAHA), be pessimistic in your initial time estimates, thus allowing scope to push back the deadlines you set for yourself and still be aiming to finish reasonably on time

Can you write an example of a to-do list just so I can bet a better understanding?

Short-Term

* Finish Maths HW (Cambridge 5.4) - due Wednesday 18/02
* Finish Reading Hamlet - aiming to finish by Friday 20/0

Long-Term

* Start doing Past Paper Qs for Complex Numbers and Polynomials - assessment is Thursday 12/03
* Memorise Practice Mod A Essay - assessment is Friday 13/03

iStudent

HSC
The amount of work I did on a saturday or sunday was at least double the amount of work I did on any weekday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)