Do you tell people to STFU during lectures? (1 Viewer)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
turtleface said:
doh lame i only just realised STFU meant "shut the fuck up".

i thought it meant "stuff you" or something...

anyway thats a good idea, next time some ass is being an ass, i'm gonna turn around and say that (shut the fuck up i mean)
haha thats exactly what i thought...STFU=stuff you
guess were both wrong lolz

synthesized

HSC
N/A
people who talk during their lectures are definitely in the lower tail of intellectual capacity - there are many people far more deserving of the degree and goes to show once again the failure of the ranking system used for university placements.

i am also convinced that such people have something wrong with them which, since it has still not been adressed at this stage in their lives, will eventually lead to a bottleneck in the advancement of their professional lives, where they will be unable to find promotions or will be stuck with a low level of responsibility for a long time.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
There's not much wrong with the 'university placement system'...places being offered (most places anyway) in order of academic merit is the only right way to do it. It doesn't matter which kind of people get into uni, you'll always have people who do not appear to value their education, their place in uni etc. So it's not really the entrance system which is at fault.

buddys

HSC
housemouse said:
What if someone's stomach grumbles?
yeah...that happened to me the other day...some random sitting next to me - hos stomach kept rumbling for bout 10 mins

luckly it was the last 10 mins of the lecture :)

synthesized

HSC
N/A
Anonymou5 said:
There's not much wrong with the 'university placement system'...places being offered (most places anyway) in order of academic merit is the only right way to do it. It doesn't matter which kind of people get into uni, you'll always have people who do not appear to value their education, their place in uni etc. So it's not really the entrance system which is at fault.
i agree, there is no better method yet, but it still fails and i do believe it is to blame for stupid people taking the placement in a degree instead of someone who deserves it.

and my original point was tht people who talk during lectures automatically identify themselves as being one of those who are there BECAUSE the system fails. if the system was perfect there would be someone else in their place. such people evidently have a very low emotional intelligence so they will be unlikely to maximise utility of their degree.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
turtleface said:
not only talking their arses off, but not even having any lecture notes or not making any attempt to listen to the lecturer, and even reading the newspaper. I mean...why come? Wastes everyone's time.

Some people are just odd.
Sounds like me. :(:( but I feel kinda guilty missing all the lectures.

HSC
I can understand if you talk at school, but during lectures :/

you should take uni a little more seriously, kid.
or else you'll fail miserably.

lala2

Banned
HSC
We pharmacy students were given the lowdown today by our lecturer on how she's been receiving reports of "our" disruptive behaviour (mainly talking) and how she said that we should question whether we really want to be in this degree or not if we keep talking. She said that it was up to the rest of us to shut those talking, up otherwise the entire grade will be penalised :eek:

Yes, many people have reasonable academic intelligence, but either little emotional maturity, cbf to shut up, are not in the degree they wanna be in (this could be particularly true for pharmacy students, I get the impression, but not sure on this), are just inconsiderate dickheads, or don't place a value on their education.

I don't think the entrance system is at fault--university is all about being academically qualified enough, getting through four/five years of degre, and graduating and bailing, to get a job. How would you assess those people anyway? And let them learn when it comes to working in the workforce.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
*Love-2-Hate-U* said:
I can understand if you talk at school, but during lectures :/

you should take uni a little more seriously, kid.
or else you'll fail miserably.
i think some people just have short attention spans or learn effectively in different ways

doesn't necessarily mean that they're stupid or don't deserve their uni spot.

ditto.

HSC
I'm usually a cunt in lectures, but if people are annoyed by me they should say something.

cos i say something if im distracted and actually wanna listen.

but yeah, I nuggeted my friends bag today cos i was bored in FINC. He got shitty and cut and had a cry about being immature and concentrating in lectures.

fuck him, if im bored ill entertain myself to the learning detriment of others, so there.

Optophobia

HSC
We had this British lady as our lecturer for criminology today, and she was a "positive" Nazi, (ie. I didn't feel threatened by her). People were talking and she would stop and stare, and then she would say "Have you FINISHED? ... GOOD!" and then one guy was texting on his phone and she stopped, stared at him and said "i hope you're taking down lecture notes on that mobile phone.. are you?" and she forced a "yes" out of him, which was obviously a lie...

Quite a contrast from another lecturer who the previous Friday had said "Come in and do what you want, if you want to talk, i would prefer if you go out side and do it over coffee, but either way i don't care. I just come here and say what i want and it doesn't really bother me whether anyone is listening".

Another lecturer last semester would stop talking and do a funny dance every time someone’s phone went off, which would cause embarrassment to the person because everyone laughed.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
synthesized said:
i agree, there is no better method yet, but it still fails and i do believe it is to blame for stupid people taking the placement in a degree instead of someone who deserves it.

and my original point was tht people who talk during lectures automatically identify themselves as being one of those who are there BECAUSE the system fails. if the system was perfect there would be someone else in their place. such people evidently have a very low emotional intelligence so they will be unlikely to maximise utility of their degree.
The solution is to just massively lower places in degrees that currently have cutoffs under say 93, or if not lower places then artificially inflate cutoffs. The system itself can otherwise stay the same.

turtleface

HSC
_dhj_ said:
i think some people just have short attention spans or learn effectively in different ways

doesn't necessarily mean that they're stupid or don't deserve their uni spot.
some people just don't seem to respect the lecturer or their fellow students. In that case I don't think they deserve their spot, since it degrades the utility everyone else gets. the others are just stupid for being dicks (lol bad sentence)

if i had my way, they'd get kicked out on their arse

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I try giving the stare... but some fobs just don't get it.

I will add though, that was last semester. Somehow when I'm at uni wearing a suit- if I give someone the stare, they tend to notice.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
turtleface said:
some people just don't seem to respect the lecturer or their fellow students. In that case I don't think they deserve their spot, since it degrades the utility everyone else gets. the others are just stupid for being dicks (lol bad sentence)

if i had my way, they'd get kicked out on their arse
with the "utility everyone else gets" argument I think only some behaviour isn't acceptable. reading newspapers, sleeping, doing the crossword etc isn't going to distract anyone actually paying attention to the lecture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)