Do You Think I'll Have A Chance? (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
To filter out those socially retarded 99+ people who go tutor for every single subject, there's the UMAT to filter them out.

However, since there's now all that stupid MedEntry crap which is essentially tutoring for the UMAT, it essentially makes that filtering effect null and void.

There is of course the interview, which you cannot properly tutor for. But to OP, if you REALLY want to do Medicine, work on UMAT and HSC so you can at least get an interview offer, then look from then.

Mind you, I used to be a 'OMFG I WAN DO MED' person, but I slowly lost my interest in it. My goal then shifted towards Maths and teaching it. The pay is inferior to a person with a Medicine degree, but I'm doing it because I like maths and I'm willing to do it as a job. I don't care so much about money because as long as I enjoy what I'm doing, money will not be too much of a hinder.

Make sure that Medicine is really what you want. Your goal may change like mine if you find something else.

bekahbaby

HSC
Thanks for the replies everyone. I know that it'll be really hard to get a place anywhere, but I'll work my ass off for the HSC, try to get a great UMAT score and hope I come across well in interviews (if I even get any!). Thanks again everyone :)

Daveky

HSC
I also agree with what carrotstick said about umat prep courses resulting in people training for something that is designed to be done without preparation, it's a pretty sad state of affairs really.
It's inevitable that people will seek training in a course that would help them get into the course they want to, otherwise why would they try so hard at school.

The test can be trained for, any test can, the thing is acer doesnt want them to because then they have to review the test every year (which takes time and money) and the test gets harder and harder and those who have done prep are going to be better at it than they would have, which artificially inflates their scores.

Psychologists have the same deal going with intelligence tests and a load of other psychometric tests for very good reasons (other than makig money). If everyone knew what was on or had access to intelligence tests the weschler and wais would be useless. Similarly if it was widely known what the questions (and answers were on the mmpi its usefullness as a clinical scale would be diminished.

That is why only trained psychologists can administer and interpret these tests.

The question isn't whether the test can be trained for or not, but whether a persons intelligence is actually measured on an intelligence test or not.

As a selection tool it is valid as perceptual speed, emotional intelligence, and ability to discern useful information from crap would supposedly be useful in medicine.

Whether you beleive a person is suitable for medicine is quite abstract as you first have to find what characteristics are desirable in medicine (which varies from culture to culture and person to person) and if you beleive in testing you should beleive a persons characteristics and personality are fixed otherwise there would be no point as a person could change into whatever they desired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)