Do you think Mathematics should be made compulsory for HSC? (1 Viewer)

A l

HSC
N/A
Should Mathematics be made compulsory for HSC?/Should English be non-compulsory?

Since English is a compulsory subject for the HSC and Mathematics is not for some reason, do you think Mathematics should be made a compulsory subject for the HSC?

I think so, because Mathematics, as well as Mathematics Extension, is required in more university courses than English. Mathematics is universally used, English is not. The English you learn in the HSC is practically useless for most career paths. Mathematics is required to do some Sciences. etc......

Last edited:

*sarah*

HSC
i see ur point, but if u dont like maths and dont do it then ur not going to follow a career or do a uni course that involves it. HSC english probably teaches u more than u realise in terms of structuring essays and arguments - very important in most courses and careers. And its good for ESL students. Having said that i HATED english and wish it wasn't compulsory cause then i WOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT!

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Piss off. I never want to see a maths book again.

Year 10 Advanced maths put me off maths forever.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Personally if i had a choice i would rather English made non-compulsory than Maths made compulsory. But we cant really complain because in most countries the English equivalent subject is compulsory in high school.

nomz

acmilan said:
Personally if i had a choice i would rather English made non-compulsory than Maths made compulsory. But we cant really complain because in most countries the English equivalent subject is compulsory in high school.
Fully agree....

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
NO THANK YOU

Because maths is NOT a pre-requisite for a lot of subjects (especially ones I like doing) which would be just a waste of time, especially for the people who just want to concentrate on The Arts...

(like me hoping to do B Music)

And yes, I couldn't compete with your brainiac mathematicians. I'll stick to my 4u English and 3u music thank you. :D

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
A l said:
Since English is a compulsory subject for the HSC and Mathematics is not for some reason, do you think Mathematics should be made a compulsory subject for the HSC?

I think so, because Mathematics, as well as Mathematics Extension, is required in more university courses than English. Mathematics is universally used, English is not. The English you learn in the HSC is practically useless for most career paths. Mathematics is required to do some Sciences. etc......

no...........maths is not a pre-requisite for all courses..........therefore not everyone should be made to suffer.......if u know that maths is required for ur course then choose it urself.......

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
oh i hated maths with a passion

i did three unit in year 11 - and didn't go too bad in it at all

still hated it so i droped it for year 12
could not have been happier with that

if i had to keep at least 2 units of maths then i would have had to give up one of my extensions (his or 4eng) and i woudl have hated that becuase they will be very useful in my future career path

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
MissSavage29 said:
oh i hated maths with a passion

i did three unit in year 11 - and didn't go too bad in it at all

still hated it so i droped it for year 12
could not have been happier with that

if i had to keep at least 2 units of maths then i would have had to give up one of my extensions (his or 4eng) and i woudl have hated that becuase they will be very useful in my future career path
ooohhh!!! that thought was the slight opposite for me! i went from 3units of maths, to none, considering my 6 majorworks & journals in the other subjects I had....

I did 11 units, but with the extensions and majorworks I did, I didn't want them to suffer under the workload I'd be getting if i had done maths....

jellybeenz

HSC
Logain said:
Piss off. I never want to see a maths book again.

Year 10 Advanced maths put me off maths forever.
Me too. Maths should not be compulsory!

I think reading, writing and speaking english is much more valuable in everyday life than Calculus anyway.

Most foreign students wouldnt take english if it weren't compulsory- and they could slam the HSC without even being able to construct a proper sentence in english- which I don't think is right.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
ooohhh!!! that thought was the slight opposite for me! i went from 3units of maths, to none, considering my 6 majorworks & journals in the other subjects I had....

I did 11 units, but with the extensions and majorworks I did, I didn't want them to suffer under the workload I'd be getting if i had done maths....
mmm i only did 11 units in year 12 also - and i woudl have hated adding maths to it... So all i did was english/history and religion - could not have been happier with that

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Maths shouldn't be compulsory ... just finished first yr uni and we didn't even do the simpliest mathematic calculation. Sure ... maths is used everyday in some form and we don't need to be doing 3 unit.
We basically only need yr 10 maths for everyday life.

English is much more important at uni the number of essays which i had to write i was thankful that english was compulsory.

A l

HSC
N/A
Structuring essays and arguments was something that everyone should have known how to do by year 10. All the everyday applications of English only require up to Year 10 English.

HSC English only explores texts in certain ways/perspectives. (e.g English Advanced Module A/Elective I Transformations [Comparative Study Of Texts]).
The English syllabus/outcomes becomes irrelevent for use by Year 11/12, since it is hardly ever used in tertiary education and many career paths.

Mathematics is not a prerequisite for all courses, neither is English. However, there are MORE (not all) courses at university that require Mathematics as prerequisites, than courses that require English as a prerequisite.

Many say that if Mathematics was compulsory, many would suffer. Well think about those who already suffer from compulsory English...

Last edited:

A l

HSC
N/A
Change of topic

Ok then how about discussing a similar topic:

Should English be a non-compulsory subject?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
A l said:
Ok then how about discussing a similar topic:

Should English be a non-compulsory subject?
This has been debated numerous times. I can see both positives and negatives towards english being compulsory. But having the two BEST units compulsory for UAI purposes is stupid. If it is to be compulsory to the UAI then it should be Advanced/Standard only and extensions not considered towards that.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Xayma said:
This has been debated numerous times. I can see both positives and negatives towards english being compulsory. But having the two BEST units compulsory for UAI purposes is stupid. If it is to be compulsory to the UAI then it should be Advanced/Standard only and extensions not considered towards that.
yes but some peopl find the ext courses easier
like me, for example
if they made maths compulsory they'd do that too, I mean I'm sure you'd agree that ext 2 > 2 u

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I hope they don't make maths compulsory.

A system such as SA, english compulsory in year 11 and a language rich subject (humanities) subject in year 12 is better, but still not perfect.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
You can't make everyone happy ... ofcourse some ppl prefer english over maths while other people prefer maths over english ... it really just depends on the person.

angel_tears

HSC
Maths used to be compulsary. It obviously didn't work out well because they changed it. End of story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)