Do you think this is right? (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Hey
I'm just curious to know if the board of studies has any rules on this:
- Nest week sometimes we are going to have to view a documentary in class and then we have to do something about it ..not sure what yet..but it does involve writing...anyway

the issue is that we are only going to be given overnight to do this task and its worth like 15% ..so if you know anything about this or have experienced it that would be greatly appreciated

slowjam10

HSC
yeah i know we were in a similar situation last year and i had mock trial on taht night and didn't get back till 11.00 and then just Bs'ed a response and got 15/15..LOL

but still for some it becomes really difficult

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
it's fair in the sense that everyone has the same time, so even if the top marks are poor they'll get scaled in the end.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As long as you have been given two weeks notification of the task and a description of what you have to do the Board of Studies is ok with the task.

Personally I think you should have a topic that you could be researching beforehand.

I have my kids to a task where they have to research a topic in advance and then they have two hours in class to write an answer to a given question and they need to reference quotes etc.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
cem said:
As long as you have been given two weeks notification of the task and a description of what you have to do the Board of Studies is ok with the task.

Personally I think you should have a topic that you could be researching beforehand.

I have my kids to a task where they have to research a topic in advance and then they have two hours in class to write an answer to a given question and they need to reference quotes etc.
That's not like any other essay you do?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
that could kind of suck.
because people like me who play sport all arvo, or others who have commitments on certain days.

i think a longer period of time would be more fair

me121

Premium Member
HSC
cem said:

But two weeks is not a BOS rule. They only say "reasonable" warning or something like that.

slowjam10

HSC
well we got our proper notification on friday..lol

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
..... i don't get it, what's the problem?

cs01001

HSC
OP is saying that he's been given too little notice, ie (given on Friday 7/3) to properly prepare for an assessment that is worth 15%. Normally you will get 2 weeks, but it all depends on the school/teachers.

HSC
How can you prepare for it anyway? It's a viewing task on a doco I assume you haven't seen yet.

bassistx

HSC
me121 said:
But two weeks is not a BOS rule. They only say "reasonable" warning or something like that.
Serious?
So the "reasonable" warning defers from school to school? I thought it was 2 weeks no matter what. If it's less, we just complain and the school obeys.
Why can't they give you more time? Is it to be due in by report-time or something? We're only like 5 weeks in, surely they haven't started writing reports already.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
bassistx said:
Serious?
So the "reasonable" warning defers from school to school? I thought it was 2 weeks no matter what. If it's less, we just complain and the school obeys.
Schools must develop and implement policies and procedures to:
• inform students in writing of the assessment requirements for each course before the commencement of the
HSC course, including the number, mark values and types of tasks to be used
• ensure that students are given adequate written notice of the nature and timing of assessment tasks
• provide meaningful feedback on students’ performance in all assessment tasks
• maintain records of marks awarded to each student for all assessment tasks
• address issues relating to illness, misadventure and malpractice in assessment tasks
• address issues relating to late submission and non-completion of assessment tasks
• address issues relating to students who transfer, or accelerate or accumulate
• advise students in writing when they are not meeting the assessment requirements in a course and indicate
what is necessary to enable the students to meet the requirements satisfactorily
• ensure students know how they can collect their Assessment Rank Order Notice at the end of the HSC
examinations and understand its purpose
• inform students about their entitlements to school reviews and appeals to the Board
• conduct school reviews of assessment when requested by students.

Board of Studies NSW. (2003). HSC Assessment in a Standards-Referenced Framework - A Guide to Best Practice. p12. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/HSC_assess_booklet.pdf

It's not 2 weeks. Its adequate. If you feel that you were not given adequate notice, consult the relevant person at your school. Of if you are really unhappy you can request an internal review by the school and then an external review by the BOS. (i think you can do this for this. i forgot.)

HSC
at my old school we had to do a speech about three texts that had to include one we saw during one recess. so that's similar, sort of. although everyone just compared notes anyway and went heaps well.

you can complain but if you do chances are next time your school will give you ample notice and tell you absolutely nothing about the next task. most schools don't take too kindly on these technicalities.

you are all in the same boat anyway. if you all fail who cares you're failing together.

bassistx

HSC
watatank said:
you are all in the same boat anyway. if you all fail who cares you're failing together.
I agree with this purely because it's your rank that matters.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
bassistx said:
I agree with this purely because it's your rank that matters.
Its actually your rank order and the relative differences between students. Not solely the rank. However for the purposes of this argument, the relative differences should not be affected.

cucum3rs

Queen Of The World
HSC
sounds like some warped version of a listening/viewing test

at least you get overnight :shy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)