Do you wish australia had Fraternities / Sororities? (1 Viewer)

berghousemaa

HSC
Well I would love to have gone to one. But I guess I am going to the closest thing at USyd

gibbo67

HSC
i'd have liked to have been a member of a fraternity - heap of fun and a good way of building contacts

then again australia doesn't have a history of large scale boarding colleges unlike the US where there are plenty of greek style fraternities/sororities

LazyBoy

HSC
i wouldnt imagine they are anyhting like the movies. movies tend to exagerate. i still think it would be a good thing to have organised fraternieiteis in australia

berghousemaa

HSC
they're not feasible n Australia. In Europe, Britain and America and it a tradition to travel and live at Uni.
the Greek life is built on the principle that you live with one each other. If they were in Australia they would be clubs or societies because University accomodation is only used by a few people and is far superior to the basic accomodation in American uni's

tyra

HSC
looks like so much fun... i feel like we're missing out. the clubs and societies in Australia just aren't the same. :( i don't think they exaggerate it in the movies coz Americans are much more crazier than us laidback Aussies.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
We have the Engineering Fraternity, but I don't think its a frat in the American sense, just another excuse for the enigneering boys to drink (I swear to God they have DRINKING1010)

I don't think frats and sororities are a good idea...I mean, really, didn't we leave the notion of 'popular' groups and whatever at high school?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Yes! I would love it if Australian Universities had Fraternities! They look like a great way to meet new people and have heaps of fun:D!

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
merethrond, you love everything that the States have lol. You need to get your butt over there already !

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I think exclusitivity is a bad thing.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
babez_hamp said:
merethrond, you love everything that the States have lol. You need to get your butt over there already !
Yeah, I love America (specifically California [more specifically Southern California:p]). If only I could be over there now:(.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
The University of Newcastle has no connections with any Californian Universities:(.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
American style university fraternities and sororities are a very bad thing. The behaviour encouraged is neither moral nor respectable, and the standards the American public are driven to tolerate by comparison to fraternity behaviour are criminal - just look at what happened in the Iraqi prisons.

I find them appalling, and am glad that Australian residential colleges don't go nearly so far (I happen to live in one).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think that it is actually quite weird and unnatural...

My new flatmates are "frat boys" and they are quite annoying. They seem to have no respect for other people outside of their group.

The way Australian colleges are set up is much better. You make friends with who you want to... there are no imposed loyalties simply because you shared a common experience (living in the same building)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
tyra said:
looks like so much fun... i feel like we're missing out. the clubs and societies in Australia just aren't the same. :( i don't think they exaggerate it in the movies coz Americans are much more crazier than us laidback Aussies.
yes and all americans have sex with pies too, and get bulldogs to ejaculate in buns. No, theyre not much crazier than us 'laid back aussies'. If we had a teen movie market worth breaking into, we'd have much the same thing going on here in movies.
Uni life:
geek guy likes girl. guy makes sure he gets into 'cool club' in uni. guy embarks on a round australia adventure with crazy friends such as tom green. guy gets girl.
The movie's youve seen are comedies. Theyre not meant to be taken for real.
Funny ha ha. Exaggeration. Lots of boobies.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Lexicographer said:
American style university fraternities and sororities are a very bad thing. The behaviour encouraged is neither moral nor respectable

I find them appalling, and am glad that Australian residential colleges don't go nearly so far (I happen to live in one).
You probably haven't been to an American College and has have been said, the movies dealing with them are more than likely unrealistic and over the top, so you don't know what the behaviour really is like. University is the last time you can be a bit crazy and have fun before you go out into the working world and are expected to conform to society's expectations:(.

I think developing loyalties are a good thing. I think developing an environment where you know you will always have someone to fall back on and support you is a great thing:).

LazyBoy

HSC
Exactly and by the american system there is no forcing one to go into a frat or serority. Theres always regular bording like what your talking about. And have you seen 'school girl orgy' does that meane very school has orgies? no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)