dodgy internal ranks - four first places???? (1 Viewer)

worldno17

HSC
N/A
theoretically, is there a high likelihood of having 4 equal first-places for the internal ranks? 2 people actually got full marks but the other two had their marks "scaled up" (not sure how on earth this happened, but it did...is this even possible, when they actually lost several marks)

additionally, i am tied with ~6 people on the same rank, despite some people losing more marks than me on assessments with the same weighting

how on earth is this possible? doesn't make logical sense but if anyone could clear this ambiguity, it'd be much appreciated! :D

jryl

HSC
Your school might've ranked people based on a decimal system however for the marks given to NESA as your internal mark, they are rounded to integers. Although some people lost more marks, cumulatively your final internal mark and their final internal mark may be, for example, 89.8 vs 89.6. Based on your school's ranking (decimal system) you are ranked higher, however NESA would see that both of you students have been given a 90 internal assessment mark and thus tied. I am tied with atleast 5-6 people in my advanced cohort aswell on my NESA ranks, but prior I was ranked 2 positions higher due to my school's decimal system.

titanium_man23

HSC
There shouldn't be any equal places within subjects. If there are ties, the teacher has to decide who gets the higher rank, and modify the marks. Sometimes they lower the weaker of the 2 mark, sometimes they increase the mark of the higher student. Internal marks aren't as important as ranking, so its a higher priority to get a higher rank rather than a higher mark

andrew12678

HSC
I think this is very normal, I know cases of 20 ppl being tied 2nd for 3U Maths (where final marks differ by very minute decimals)

D94

HSC
N/A
There shouldn't be any equal places within subjects. If there are ties, the teacher has to decide who gets the higher rank, and modify the marks. Sometimes they lower the weaker of the 2 mark, sometimes they increase the mark of the higher student. Internal marks aren't as important as ranking, so its a higher priority to get a higher rank rather than a higher mark
Nothing you have said is true. Everyone can be ranked first in a course. If so, the teacher is absolutely not obliged to modify marks. The difference in internal marks is extremely important. Your rank is merely a description, not an analytical measure of your performance. It simply tells you that first did better than second, second did better than third, but it doesn't tell you by how much. A smaller difference between first and second compared to second and third is a completely different scenario to a large difference between first and second, and a small difference between second and third. The priority to gain as many marks as you can because marks determine your rank, your rank does not determine your mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)