Does anyone have advice for essay writing? (1 Viewer)

Leggie

HSC
I have an essay that I amde made. I am worried because I feel like I am not unpacking the questions properly. I don't know how to explain it but when I unpack a question it feels like I am doing it from not fully focused state. Also, how would I make sure that I sustain my argument throughout actual essays? Would I like remind myself before each paragraph or before writing the analysis?

Bumblebee_18

HSC
I mean I'm no expert but I've significant improved my English ranks from 65 to in the top 20 because I just realised that you have to provide the readers with an argument in the thesis and continue to argue for that argument through the essay.

EG: the common module asks you to unpack and discuss collective and individual experience in 1984.
Most students will just say that the collective experience is influenced by extreme control and power. etc and the individual experience is influenced by manipulation.. you get what I mean. You need to build the thesis to be complex and show that you understood the text. I recommend asking mini questions. like what type of power? how does it impact collective experience?

I also recommend reading the critical studies/ academic papers on all the modules and basically recycling their paras to your question. Someone who has studied this and wrote a paper on it is probably better than high schoolers.

Just form a very specific argument and personally it is very easy to sustain it because you have to constantly explain why the argument works to basically convince the maker you are right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)